Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Streched Pouch...

Hey everyone,

I have had the Lap Band for over 6 months. The problem is that I do throw up a lot. The bad part even more so is I can eat way too much. I really can't eat anything

but taco's or chili. But I can eat like a bowl of chips and 2 tacos. I don't know if I stretched my pouch out or not. When I try to eat other things and sometimes the stuff I

do eat gets stuck and I throw it up. This is almost everyday. So I am a bit confused because I throw up a lot but can also knock out a plate of food. The reason I eat

tacos and chips are because they break up and don't get caught that often... they still do. I believe my fill is at 4? Not sure. Can someone tell me if they think I

might have stretched out my pouch. I went from 360 to 295 not sure if that's even relevant. Thank you

No, its not stretched. Your not in the green zone yet. By your next fill you'll start feeling restriction and less hungry. If your pouch was stretched you'd have symptoms. Its common. I'm in the same boat.

It sounds like you're too tight. Vomiting is very dangerous with the band and can lead to slips. I would strongly advise getting into your surgeon ASAP to discuss this all with him.

It's really important to realize the band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. Portion Control and good food choices will always be your job. It's very common for people to accidentally end up too tight when they expect the band to do things it's simply not meant to do.

Here is a couple of links I think will help you a lot:

The Lap-Band is NOT About Restriction

Tighter Isn't Always Better

Best wishes.

Missy is right I'm afraid. I honestly don't think I'm in the green zone yet and I'm 10 months post op, not sure how much I have in my band, sorry but some days I can eat chicken and some days I can't, some days I can eat eggs and some days I can't, same thing with toast. 2 days ago I tried eating pulled pork BBQ and either ate too big of a bite, didn't chew enough or the stringy mess just slid down but I got stuck BIG time and ended up sliming, and then vomiting up everything I ate, a forceful vomit, not PB'ing which was not good for me at all. Am I afraid of trying BBQ that I have left in the frige, no, I will try it again but will be mindful of cutting it up into tiny pieces and chewing, what has really helped me is what someone else posted on here not too long ago, chew and say the alphabet. Most of my food intake is healthy choices like chicken, fish, oatmeal, Cereal, tuna, cheese quesadilla grilled in a nonstick skillet with low fat cheese and for dessert greek yogurt with fruit on bottom or fresh fruits. It just so happen the other day I was craving pork BBQ and got some and well that night it didn't agree with me. I try to stay away from chips because I can't stop at one, however I'm a popcorn freak and I will eat that once a month as a treat but only a little. Be a little more creative in your food choices. Chili is good, loaded with Protein, actually I love Wendy's chili, I get their small and eat it and its all I can do to eat that amount. However with that said when I go to Cracker Barrel and order a bowl of beef stew I can pretty much eat the whole bowl, go figure, I'm sure that is more than a cup worth which is what we are suppose to go by, eating 1 cup of food at each meal or at least by my surgeon's directions. I wish you well and good luck, you can do this.

Not to burst everyone's bubble but looking for the green zone is not always a reality. The reason chips and salsa and taco's go down is because the are sliders. Probably what is difficult to pass is Protein or any food which requires a lot of chewing. I suggest you discuss with your physician or nutritionist. Do not get caught up in keeping the band tight because you will not loss weight faster just be frustrated and this will lead to eating the wrong foods.

For me...to know if my pouch has stretched only comes after being in a consistent pattern with the band.....it's like driving your car the same way everyday, long trips on the interstate...then one day you feel a jerk and you know something is "Abnormal" with your car. So you slow down and pay closer attention.

I have been so consistent with my band...I know EXACTLY the quantity (portion size) the band will normally let me eat...I can predict the time, while eating, the band will tell me I'm finished..I do not, and should not have the need to eat anymore...(some call it a full feeling, I do not and have never felt full)

Knowing your band, as being a day to day part of you...you can then tell when something is "Abnormal", inconsistent....I n my case it is when I realize I am eating more than I normally could, and would, an the band is allowing me...not giving me that "stop" signal I expect every-time....

It is because my pouch has become dilated - enlarged from over use..which, like the normal stomach, is perfectly normal...providing ot has not dilated too large...

When tis happens, I go all liquids (5 day pouch test) for at least 2 days...I can tell when my pouch has returned to normal size when it starts speaking to me just by drinking a Protein smoothie.

When people do not do this "maintenance", as I call it, from time to time, and continue to overeat just because the band lets them...then the pouch can become severely dilated, not just a little stretched....then they usually have to do a total un fill.....

I've seen x-rays different patients with severely dilated pouches and it is not very pretty, as a matter fact it is very scary and I can see why a total un fill is needed.

I need to say, everything I just said has very little to do for those just starting out, or are no where near their end to weight loss.....any many people here will have no clue or perception what I'm talking about....

this is true for me, having stopped loosing weight 1 1/2 years ago, and just carrying on from day to day in the "Green Zone" as though the band is not even there....like driving that car down the interstate day after day, you don't even think about it all that much until you feel that bump, that little bit of inconsistency..........then it's time for some maintenance.....

But I do realize the majority of people on this forum are no where near that stage yet.....and some may never....

You may not know how to eat with your band but throwing up every single day is sure to cause slippage. It may be too tight also but I think you are not eating correctly. It is only my opinion. Try to eat smaller bites and chew it well. Some people cant eat meat so they have to find other things to substitute Protein with. Either way you need to talk to your doctor because throwing up everyday is only going to cause you issues later on.

It sounds like you're too tight. Vomiting is very dangerous with the band and can lead to slips. I would strongly advise getting into your surgeon ASAP to discuss this all with him.

It's really important to realize the band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. Portion Control and good food choices will always be your job. It's very common for people to accidentally end up too tight when they expect the band to do things it's simply not meant to do.

Here is a couple of links I think will help you a lot:

The Lap-Band is NOT About Restriction

Tighter Isn't Always Better

Best wishes.

i agree with missy and cheryl and love and donna

throwing up is NOT good and it (sounds as if you are too tight)..but i am not a doctor...but eating chips/dip is not the way to lose weight in my opinion

i see nothing of you eating veggies/fruit or lean filling Protein but cheap slider/processed foods..just because one can eat more than they are suppose to (in my case my dr advised about 1 cup of food)....does not mean they should....def go to your dr and advise them of what is going on and let them help you...problems can arise later on...hang in there okay

I agree with everyone!! Woohoo! it is not often that everyone is agreement on the board. But it is important that you eat your Protein and stop eating those sliders. A couple chips and salsa is okay, but eating a bowlful and not eating anything else is dangerous. You need protein, and you should not be vomiting everytime you try to eat. See your surgeon and nutritionist ASAP for advice on what to do. Best wishes, Karen

Your only at 4cc? What size band do you have? Unless its a 4cc band I doubt your too tight. I have yet to read on here that someone was too tight at 4cc with a 10 or 14cc band. If your not eating correctly then your probably not chewing correctly either, thus regurgitating your food. I currently have 4.5cc and I still need another fill or two. I know everyone is different but...

Your only at 4cc? What size band do you have? Unless its a 4cc band I doubt your too tight. I have yet to read on here that someone was too tight at 4cc with a 10 or 14cc band. If your not eating correctly then your probably not chewing correctly either, thus regurgitating your food. I currently have 4.5cc and I still need another fill or two. I know everyone is different but...

It doesn't matter if he has 4cc or nothing at all in his band. The amount of Fluid in your band is completely irrelevant. Everyone's anatomy is different.

What matters is how tightly the band is fitting around your stomach and his is clearly too tight.

Yea i have 4cc in a 11cc band and im pretty darn tight.

Remember that, the tightness to the amount of Fluid will vary as you loose weight. My doctor mentioned that this is because of the layer of fat between the stomach tissue and the band which reduces as we loose weight.

I have a 10 cc band and only have 3 cc's and I am plenty tight enough at that amount everyone is different as to the amount they can tolerate. If I went any tighter I would not be able to eat at all.