Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you ever feel hungry??

I'm in the beginning stages of WLS -- getting ready to go through all the classes/testing, etc., before even getting a surgery date set. I've done LOTS of research and reading and talking to people - and I can't quite seem to get a (consistent) concensus on hunger! So I'd love to know what people here can offer with personal experiences:

I've "heard" that the band will make you feel full after eating the 4 ounces or whatever, that you will NOT be hungry, and you'll be satisified with your new limited portions. Then again, I've "heard" that yes you WILL still be hungry! If you're still hungry and you can't eat, then how is it as easy as everyone says?

Please hare personal experiences so I can make a more informed decision!

thanks

sorry - "hare" should say "share"!!

Hunger is the body's natural response to needing fuel. WLS isn't supposed to make all hunger go away it's supposed to control and dim it. The band allows you to feel satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. The aim is to be able to go at least 4 hours on a cup or less of food without hunger.

As far as my own experience, I can definitely go at least 4 hours without hunger, usually a lot longer even. I've actually missed meals because I simply wasn't hungry. I never eat more than a cup of food per meal and often even that's too much. So, I'd say the band is definitely doing it's job and doing it well.

Best wishes.

I have a Protein Shake with 2 scoops of powder every morning and I can go 4-6 hours before getting hungry. I have me dinner salad about 1 hour before dinner so that I get my veggies in and 4 oz of Protein for dinner is perfect. The other night had dinner out, ate too much and I felt like crap. I had loud burps for about 1 hour because of that. You do learn what is right and wrong fast. Good luck, you will do well if you follow your doctor and dietitian's rules. Every one of them have different rules, too.

I have not been able to tolerate fills like some people do. Therefore,I do get hungry sooner than every 4 hours. However, I can be satisfied on less food per meal than prior to surgery. I am also able to eat more that a cup of food per meal. Probably closer to 2 cups. But if I stay within my calories allotted per day I don't feel that really matters a lot. Good luck on making your decision!

Feeling full post band is very different than feeling full before being banded. I never get that, oh, I'm stuffed and can't eat another bite feeling. I just simply get tired of eating and I stop.

The band is not a magic bullet that will prevent you from over-eating. You still have to exercise some self-control. If you're a "grazer" you will still be able to graze all day long. There are band rules for a reason: You follow them and you will lose weight; you don't follow them and you may as well have never been banded.

There is physical hunger and there is the mental 'head' hunger. The band does not make the mental hunger go away. After the initial honeymoon with the band is over, the mental hunger is still there. At least that's been my experience. You will still have to fight the will power battle.

What everyone else said plus, you probably won't feel full or satisfied shortly after surgery. You can expect to wait up to 6 months before you get the fill that gives you enough restriction to evade being hungry much of the time. Many find that zone or close to it within 3 months, but don't expect to get the band and instantly be less hungry. This is a process and the first 6 weeks will be a healing and learning phase.

tmf

A lot of how satisfied you feel depends on what food you eat. The band was made to work with solids and most people can do this with no problems. You will go through a lot of trial and error as you figure out what works for you.

I personally feel hunger next to never. In the almost 2 1/2 years I've been banded, I've only felt actual physical hunger maybe a dozen times, and only for a short amount of time, less than 5 minutes. I have head hunger, but not physical hunger. From what I've read and seen, this is not the norm. Good luck to you on your journey!

Feeling full post band is very different than feeling full before being banded. I never get that, oh, I'm stuffed and can't eat another bite feeling. I just simply get tired of eating and I stop.

The band is not a magic bullet that will prevent you from over-eating. You still have to exercise some self-control. If you're a "grazer" you will still be able to graze all day long. There are band rules for a reason: You follow them and you will lose weight; you don't follow them and you may as well have never been banded.

Totally agree with this post, this is how it has been for me. Also, depending on your doctor it can take a while to get any restriction....I didn't have any for 5 months so did not know what it felt like to have a band. So, yes, I was very hungry on the post-op diet they gave me. Now that I have restriction, I find that I do not feel hungry for 3-4 hours, it is absolutely wonderful.

I am 5 months out and it is hell yet...only lost 35 lbs as of now which am thankful for.

It is all will power yet but hoping my next fill will do something. I do think it is better since my last fill but not there yet. Am satisfied longer...eat well...but still have no loss to speak of. It seems the less I eat...I actually gain? I have had no problems what so ever...thank god...but it also is not what I envisioned it to be and do either despite all the research I did the whole year prior to surgery. Would I take it back?....no...cause I really dont know its there and have lost some weight due to pure will power and am hoping I am just one of the slow ones to find that "sweet spot". I guess I dont really know what I am going to feel yet at this point as nothing has changed for me personally since the band but am very hopeful it is going to do something soon.

In the mean time...I do what everyone on here says...hang with it and it will pay off and to be patient. I am scared too that I am "one" that is just wont work for. I am following drs. orders very well in fact probably not eating enuf if anything. I am determined to stay the course. I am finding it hard pressed if I will even hit 60 lbs my first year at this rate....only 9 lbs since xmas which is so discouraging but it is something despite being a small amt.

Research, research, and research some more and get as much information as you can to understand how it really works. It is very hard and yes a "diet the rest of your life" no matter what anyone says.

Best wishes to us all as we are all striving for the same thing...to be healthier :)

I personally feel hunger next to never. In the almost 2 1/2 years I've been banded, I've only felt actual physical hunger maybe a dozen times, and only for a short amount of time, less than 5 minutes. I have head hunger, but not physical hunger. From what I've read and seen, this is not the norm. Good luck to you on your journey!

I'm same as you...after 2 1/2 years, I am never hungry....a characteristic of being in the Green Zone....head hunger is very rare also.....if my brain is being told I'm not hungry, then I do not have any desire or interest to eat.....I may see something I Think I may want, but after one bite I realize I really don't and throw it away.....

My Dr. Predicted this would happen.....

Was not always so, took me at least 6 months and a few fills to get into that zone.....and now it all comes quite naturally....

But like you said, the majority of people here find it different.....

I'm just about 6 weeks post-op and I am STARVING! Lol! Seems my hunger woke up blazing mad at some point last week and I can feel my resolve slipping away. I'm hungry all of the time. I can eat fast and eat tons( I don't though!)

My biggest lesson in this is that it is HARD! Don't let anyone make you think it is easy.

I await my first fill and every consecutive fill. I am living the hell that others spoke of... this is the part where we wonder of we made a huge mistake because nothing is different except now I have pain in my belly from the port stabbing me!

I've read enough to know that this too shall pass--- but DAMN!! I really had no idea...