Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does stuck feel like?

I haven't had any problems but curious what it feels like?

Ever have a potato chip scrape after you swallow it? A little like that but much worse. Much worse. And like Terry said you will know.

The first time it feels like you are having a heart attack . The other description(from a previous member) that I really like is that you are a vampire and that you have just had a stake through your heart.

For me its like Tara-U said swallowing something you have not chewed well enough and its scraping its way down, but it doesn't quite go down, then I start producing saliva like crazy. I have to start spitting it up and eventually the food comes up, sometimes I end up vomitting all my stomach contents. Do NOT try drinking anything, that just makes it worse.

Watch your portions, chew well and eat slowly, those things will help prevent a stuck episode.

For me it feels like my esophagus is trying to chew something.

My mouth starts producing huge amounts of saliva and it feels like the top of my stomach just keeps repeatedly contracting and releasing until the mass gets pulverized. It's a bit like being punched repeatedly in the sternum for me. Definitely stops any hunger at the time.

For me the first time was a piece of turkey breat lunchmeat I ate too quickly and the second time it was some chicken breast that was too dry.

Sigh the stuck feeling, as others have said you'll know if it happens. My personal experience is it feels like I've swallowed a rock, it hurts and it's so uncomfortable, you produce a lot of saliva, mucous as your body tries to push it through the banded opening and if it won't go through it eventually comes up and not very pleasant. My first time was with broccoli second time with spaghetti I took too big a bite, my phone rang, instinctively I swallowed whilst running to the phone, the phone never got answered I did a Linda Blair reinactment and that Pasta shot out like an erupting volcano lol, thank god I was home, learnt my lesson well that day.

Other times I've got stuck it wasn't so bad I just walked around and stood up straight and it passed through , painful also.

I have really good restriction now and rarely get stuck anymore, learnt to take small bites and chew very well,

My family says I get this look on my face then take off to the bathroom!

I felt major pain in my esophagus.. I never made the mistake of not chewing thoroughly again

I explain it as choking but farther down. You can't eat or drink anything else and it just hurts. All I wanted to do was make it stop!

Thank you everyone! I am 10 days post op and still on mushiness... Always hear people talk, nice to get an idea!

YES, this really scares me too! I try to make the portions small and chew chew chew. I hear chicken can be a particular culprit. Also, someone wrote on a previous list to not let yourself get super hungry because then you are more likely to eat too fast and cause a stuck encounter. I pray this never happens to me.

It is highly unlikely that you will go through life as a bandster without ever getting stuck. Don't worry about it too much. When it happens it happens and you will get through it. The worst thing you can do is allow your fear to dictate your food choices as then you are likely to limit the range of healthy foods that you eat.

I am pretty sure I just got stuck this morning and it is like a feeling of pressure and air with a too full feeling at the top of your stomach. I feared this so, so much before it happened but got through it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think it just comes with the territory and teaches you to be more careful with how much you eat, how fast you eat, and how much you chew.