Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm trying to make the decision on whether to have the band or sleeve? Would really appreciate hearing how people decided.

I choose the band due to fear. I didn't want all the fooling around with my inereds. The thought of having my stomach cut worried me, the chance of infection is higher. Also, with the band I only took off 4 days where with the sleeve I would have had to take off longer and I couldn't.

Now looking backward, I may would have opted for the sleeve. I guess it's the wishing I would have lost more weight. I have lost 52 lbs in 8 months, not back, but I do wish it was more.

Biggest things to look at when making the choice....

Insurance coverage

Doctor's suggestion

Time off Work (with the sleeve you will be down a little longer)

Doc Appt. (with the band you have to go back a lot of fills and unfills)

It is really your choice, just education yourself on what both procedures are, have an honest heart to heart with your doctor, make a decision and don't look back!!!

Good Luck!

if you get the band or the bypass or the sleeve or the ds

you will have to change what you eat, how much you eat and develop a whole new mental attitude from dieting letting whichever tool/ wls to help you and its not a miracle cure all.

its up to the person if they are a success or not

but do not think (as many do) its an easy way out and you will lose 100 pounds a week..

best of luck in whatever you decide.

I choose the band because I wanted a wls that was completely reversible. I also liked the idea that it was adjustable.

I did a TON of reasearch on all the surgical options, and always came back to the band. I wanted the most minimally invasive surgery, and I actually liked the fact that the weightloss is much more gradual than with the sleeve/bypass. Also, thinking into the future, I thought what would happen if I started to slip up with the sleeve/bypass, stretched my new stomach out, and gained weight back? Then what?? With the band, it's adjustable... I can always get a fill if I need it... while the other options are not adjustable.

At the end of the day, this is such a personal decision, only YOU know what will work best for you. Good luck with your decision.

I chose the band because it is adjustable, reversable, removable, and the complications are less serious than those seen in the sleeve

I decided based on complication rate, invasiveness, reversibility, cost, plans to get pregnant, Vitamin deficiencies, and time to heal. But in all honesty, I wish I had the sleeve. I'm not sure I have the self-control to be successful at this.

I would choose sleeve today, but it wasn't available to me when I had my surgery almost 3 years ago.

Less aftercare and fewer long term complications are why. There are plenty of complications with bands, they can be life-threatening and debilitating.

Do your research, read on other sites, particularly VSG talk, the sister site to this one. Ask the same questions.

I chose the band because (at that time) of the reasons other members have mentioned, plus it just felt right for me - sort of gut feeling.

I can't recommend the sleeve, and no matter what surgical procedure you have, sooner or later you're going to have to make some permanent dietary and lifestyle changes. I wrote at length about my experiences with the band and the sleeve on this thread, plus other member's responses to that thread might interest you:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/165182-restriction-riddles/#entry1946776

There are 2 important things to know about the band.

1. it probably won't start working optimally until you've had a few fills

2. it requires a lot of aftercare, so even if your insurance covers that, you need to factor in time and money (including time off work) spent going back and forth to see your surgeon for fills and unfills.

**just want to add there are complications with all WLS**

I chose it because I did not like the idea of having my stomach permanently altered and have it not be reversible. There is a big learning curve w/ the band but there will be with any WLS. Also, to Jean's point, do factor in that you will need follow up care for fills, etc. If it may pose an issue for you (working, etc), find out the hours their office is open. My surgeon only has Tues. a.m. hours so I have to miss work for appts or go late. He will see me other times if there is an urgent need though. With my surgeon, I had a follow up at 1 week, 6 weeks, then monthly for 6 months. Make sure the team you choose (regardless of what type of wls) is very informative, makes you feel comfortable and answers any questions you have. At my clinic, they have a nutritionist that I meet with at each appt. There is no extra charge, they just want to ensure I have the tools to succeed and makes sure I am doing what's in my best interest.

I am about 7 months out and down 75 lbs. I don't regret it for one second. Once you learn how to eat slower, and smaller quantities, it becomes second nature and I don't even think about it being there.

Best wishes in your decision. Keep in mind there will be naysayers of all procedures so do your research, talk to your surgeon and if there are support groups in your area it may help to go and talk to others that have been through it.

I chose the band for a couple reasons.

#1 When I had my band installed in 2009, I didn't even know much about the sleeve option. It was either the band or bypass as far as I knew.

#2 EVERY study I read, and I think I read a lot, showed the rate of serious complications was much lower for the band vs bypass.

After having the band for over three years, and hearing/reading how others have done, I would still choose the band. However, I would discuss the option of band with plication with my surgeon. It seems from the outside looking in, it may offer some of the benefits of both the band and sleeve. I would not currently opt for a sleeve.

Yes, the band (for me) requires several trips to the doctor for follow up. But I like that follow up. Keeps me honest and moving in the right direction.