Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

you gotta hear this...

So i went to get a fill today, cause I'm hungry every two hours no matter what rules i follow.

I get there and the surgeon (who I've only met once to give a two second unfill and send me on my way in nov.) asked what I was doing (meal wise) on a daily basis and interrupted and started talking about how i shouldn't be drinking caloric liquids- NO ****!!! Then went on to tell me I'm chewing too much, and my veggie burgers aren't a good choice for Protein cause they are "just pieces mushed together" therefore breaking down and moving through my band faster.!!! Not only did he comment on how I'm "really restricted" on my food choices for being vegetarian, he says cheese isn't big enough particles (his words) to stay in the band but Beans are a good choice because the skins remain in my band and help stay full longer---Ok?!!?? So i have a stomach full of bean skins instead of a mixed cheese wrap with Tomato and onion?!?!!?!?!

He gave me .25cc and of course said "I don't think this is going to help"...O really a-hole??!?! I feel awesome with the hunger now- despite leaving the office in tears feeling so beat down and like a big loser!

I would be looking for a new doc, that is ridiculous. Especially telling you that you are chewing too much? Does he even understand the lap band and how this works? And personally cheese fills me up just fine, I use it as a snack often and the grumbling stomach stops.

O yea I even told him "ok im confused, if you are supposed to chew your food to the consistency of applesauce, doesn't EVERY food become the same..ie veg burger or cheese or whatever" He says it;s different, yet never suggested anything other than Beans that i could eat- I tried to explain that the veg burgers i get are not just vegetables smashed together, but are soy protein...couldn't even finish cause he interrupted with "yea,I've had them before" what a d-bag

He should have asked me what other vegetarian "meats" are out there....

He kinda sounds like a jerk. I'm sorry you had such a bad time with him today.

wow look for a new doctor now he is a jerk. I am so sorry you are being treated like this. I haven't needed to see my doctor yet to get a fill his nurse does it and I have been very well thank God.how much is in your band total? I have a 10cc band with 6.5 in it and when I reached that point I was so in the green zone at least for now. I hope things change for you real soon.

Thanks everyone, I felt like such an idiot when i left, until I told my husband and he shook his head in complete disgust and said it's ridiculous, and go with the other surgeon at the practice.

I have an appt in a month and want to go with the other dr. That's gonna be akward, however i was thinking about going to the one I saw today and say "after the last fill I feel fabulous, I really knew I needed it".

I have now 5.25 in 10cc band

Well I would agree with him that having cheese wraps are not a good food choice. You can buy low fat cheese but your level of Protein for the amount of fat in cheese is not great. And most banned people don't eat bread or wraps. Protein is what keeps you feeling full verses carbs. So perhaps he could have been more diplomatic in the way you he presented the information , the what he was telling you was correct.

I'm sorry, but time to fire him and hire a new doctor. He sounds like an ignorant @sshole. "not big enough food particles" and "chewing too much"? Really? I mean, c'mon, that's the most asinine thing I've heard today.

Seriously, the vegetarian lifetyle is very healthy and there is nothing wrong with veggie burgers. In fact, they're a heck of a lot healthier than beef burgers.

You need a surgeon with an ounce of common sense. Yours sounds like a first class idiot.

Well I would agree with him that having cheese wraps are not a good food choice. You can buy low fat cheese but your level of Protein for the amount of fat in cheese is not great. And most banned people don't eat bread or wraps. Protein is what keeps you feeling full verses carbs. So perhaps he could have been more diplomatic in the way you he presented the information , the what he was telling you was correct.

With all due respect, what he was saying isn't correct. There is nothing wrong with veggie burgers. 10g of protein from a veggie burger isn't any less good for you than 10g of protein from a beef burger. Telling her she's "chewing too much" is just plain stupid and that food particles "aren't big enough" is nuts.

If she's getting in her protein, even if that means cheese sometimes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Saying "most banded people don't eat bread or wraps" isn't true either. There are a lot of us that don't do the whole low carb thing and thoroughly enough our bread products. I've lost a lot of weight and I eat bread, rice, Pasta, and potatoes pretty much daily.

and i dont eat bread/pasta/potatoes and rice and i am losing pretty well...so everyone is different...

just do what works for you and dont worry about what everyone else does or dont do

Thanks everyone, I felt like such an idiot when i left, until I told my husband and he shook his head in complete disgust and said it's ridiculous, and go with the other surgeon at the practice.

I have an appt in a month and want to go with the other dr. That's gonna be akward, however i was thinking about going to the one I saw today and say "after the last fill I feel fabulous, I really knew I needed it".

I have now 5.25 in 10cc band

your no idiot

your a gorgeous gal trying to make herself well

hang in there...doing GREAT

Wow, if medical students had to take a course in Bedside Manner (which they don't), he must have flunked out. And he gets one million extra demerits for the "I don't think this will help" remark.

Very little in what he told you is consistent with my understanding of appropriate food choices with the band. And that business about the skins of Beans remaining in the band just doesn't make sense anatomically. No part of any food can make it into your band. The only thing that goes into your band is saline solution. If he meant that it stays in your stoma, that's still a dumb statement. No food should ever stay in your stoma for longer than a few minutes. If it does, something's wrong. If meant that complex carbs like Beans offer better satiety because of the Fiber content (which is true for everyone, not just bandsters, and that's because of what happens to them in the intestines, not the stomach), then I don't understand why he thinks that veggie burgers (which contain - hello? - fibrous veggies and (depending on the product) healthy soy protein) are a poor choice.

Did anyone in that practice explain all these arbitrary food rules to you before your surgery? Did they tell you that you being a vegetarian was a problem for them? Does he employ a bariatric dietitian? If so, you need to consult with that person, and if you get the same line of crap, it's time to look for another bariatric practice to do your aftercare.

Jeez Louise, that p*sses me off. I feel like kicking a dog now, except at the moment they're all being as good as gold.

@missy- yea you're right! Wtf would he rather me eat processed lunch meat than a veg burger?? Eff that- I've been eating them with great satiety! I totally needed that .25 fill- what a world of difference!!!

He kept saying about how I'm limited being vegetarian almost as if I would say "o screw my ethical beliefs, give me a side of beef just for you"??!

@Jean- Don't kick a doggie!!!! I'll give you the address of that a hole and you can kick him!!!

This idiot has a blog and everything-