Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Did It Take You?

Once you went to the seminar, how long was it until your surgery date? 1 month? 2 months?

5 months, but it could have been sooner. My insurance cleared surg. right away, but I had to wait for my turn in the OR.

So there probably isn't any chance of me having my surgery by the end of the year? I'm going to my seminar tomorrow...

wow! Good! That gives me some hope!

wow! Good! That gives me some hope!

It all depends on your insurance and how quickly your surgeon's office works. A lot of insurance companies require a 6 month doctor supervised diet before surgery, but I got lucky and wasn't required to.

Check with your insurance company's requirement to be sure.

OOOO you are not going to like me... I had to wait 7 months. I have United Healthcare. All insurance carriers are different. Oh, It would of only been 6 months but there was a clerical error on my insurance's part that delayed my surgery for a month ....

So there probably isn't any chance of me having my surgery by the end of the year? I'm going to my seminar tomorrow...

I went to seminar Oct 2010. Ins denied me in Nov 2010. I wrote an appeal letter (a powerful one) then I was approved 2nd week in Dec & I got Banded Dec 22, 2010.

I guess it depends on your insurance and your Surgeon's office. Also you have to do some blood work and perhaps some extra tests. there is also the psychological test. An probably the two week liquid diet pre-op.

Remember that this is a long journey and that you will have to change your habits for life, give yourself some time to reflect on what is coming and to be in the right set of mind for it. You will find out that time is not that important. Don't rush it, you will only increase your anxiety level.

I really wish you the best on your journey, good luck!

I was a self pay after being denied In Record time.... :(. The appeal was denied also in one day.

I had my appointment the first of October and was ready for preop after completing the NUT visit, lab work, cardiac dr and psych dr visits with in a month. We had some time away and other things planned so I started my preop diet the day before thanksgiving, had surgery dec 9 and ate my first solids on new years day. :)

Did you have to pay the entire balance up front?

I went to a seminar in July, did some investigating & realized my crappy work insurance won't pay anything weight related, so I started saving money. I'm scheduled with Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Mexico ($5000) for January 18th. So I guess about 6 months for me, but for different reasons. If I had the money, I probably could have had the surgery within weeks.

6 1/2 mths for me.

Cooper gave you the best advice. Don't rush in. There is a lot to learn about the Lap Band. It's not a quick fix to obesity. It takes a lot of work on your part. It took me every bit of that 6 mths to learn everything I needed to learn to be successful. A lot of ppl have this surgery and go on eating like they used too and expect the band to help them lose weight, it don't work that way.

I know this is more than you asked for, but I want you to succeed!

Best wishes!

Your doctor may require a weight lids before they will schedule surgery. One to make the surgery easier for the doctor, 2 test your commitment. Mine was 10% body weight. Again this is a life commitment. Don't see surgery as the end of the road. This is the time too develop a new relationship with food.< /p>