Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days Post-Op. Troubles With Protein Shakes.

I am now 5 days post op and I've only been able to take down 2 Protein shakes.

Pre-op, I sample many types to find a brand I liked. I really didn't dislike many. Bought a jug of one I liked.

Post-op, the smell of the shake makes me nauseous. I have no appetite for them and the thought of having another makes me even more nauseous.

Anyone every experienced this, and I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get around this hurdle.

Yes, the smell of many brands made me feel nauseous to the point I couldn't stomach them. I tried about 4 different kinds before I found one that didn't smell bad to me- unjury. In fact, I'm 8 months post op and still have an Unjury chocolate Splendor shake for Breakfast every morning.

I'd continue to try to different brands, find one that doesn't have a bad smell or taste.

Best wishes.

Thanks Missy. I'll try the unjury chocolate. I don't think I gave Unjury a fair "shake". I tried the strawberry Sorbet one with Water, and it tasted horrible! Unjury is what my Dr.'s practice recommends.

Thanks Again,

Nick

Thanks Missy. I'll try the unjury chocolate. I don't think I gave Unjury a fair "shake". I tried the strawberry Sorbet one with Water, and it tasted horrible! Unjury is what my Dr.'s practice recommends.

Thanks Again,

Nick

You're welcome!

Maybe you should try this? It's a starter kit, with individual packets of each flavor. It's a great way to try them out without committing to just one.

http://www.unjury.co...tarter-kit.html

Oh and don't use water....ewww! That does taste awful lol. I always use a cup of skim milk to make mine and it's actually good.

If it's the flavor, try adding a little sugar free coffee Syrup (like the Toranis or a store brand). I would have the chocolate shake with a splash of SF carmel syrup. Helped change it up a bit.

If it's the consistency - I would recommend skim milk and add some ice if needed. I don't like things too cold and have a hard time drinking cold Water but found that icing my Protein shakes helped me feel like it wasn't so much of a "blah" drink.

I will say though, Protein is SO important. I am about 14 weeks post-op and slacked off on my protein intake the past few weeks. My hair is shedding the worst it ever has and my energy has been low. I've recently restarted my focused plan and am already feeling better.

You could also try the Isopure Protein Fruit Drinks. They are 20oz, 0 carb, 40g protein. I've tried the grape, blue raspberry, and green apple. Grape was the best I thought, think weak grape KoolAid. I found them at GNC, they weren't cheap, but they have been a great alternative when I didn't think I could stomach another shake.< /p>

Premier chocolate shakes are the best.. There at costco and taste exactly like chocolate milk! I've been drinking them for a year now.. I'm a week post op and my premier shake s have been my life savers...

Banded August 28 2012<br />Starting weight 293<br />Day of surgery weight 273<br />Current weight 262<br />Goal weight 160 5ft 10

I feel the same ways! Today is day 4 for me. Could only get 10 grams down yesterday and about 14 today. So sweet! Yuk! Makes me so nauseous. Going to try the Unjury chicken Soup. Hoping I can make it until I can have yogurt and cottage cheese. I tried the before surgery like you did with no problem.

I use the Syntrax Nectar Medical Unflavored. I mix it with Water and a shaker/mix-in packet (think Crystal Light), or fruit and at juice. I could never tolerate the premixed ones or the standard flavors. I have mine re-packaged in individual food supply packets. Message me for details.

It doesn't matter which one you use, they all smell horrid. If you can't past the smell try Carnation Instant Breakfast. If you use 8 oz of skim milk and the s/f variety the calories are minimal and you get 13 grams of Protein (as well as a ton of vitamins). I usually add a half scoop of Protein Powder which brings it up to about 25 grams but the smell doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Thank you all SOOO much for the tips. I've but a variety of other items this morning. Carnation S/F Instant Breakfast and Slim Fast & Atkins pre-made. The smell of the Protein just turns my stomach right now. Its not so much the tast or texture. I walked into my little kitchen area in my office (where I've stored some Protein powder) and the smell in the room made me ill.

I did have some minor success last night. My wife put the unjury chicken Soup flavor in chicken broth. It tasted like Top Ramen broth which brought me back to my college dorm days.

I was having the same problem. Pre-op I bought lots of Unjury because I liked it - all flavors. Now 13 days post op I was having trouble gagging them down. Today I used Unjury chocolate splendor w/ 8 oz skim milk (added protein) and a squirt of sugar free Hershey's Syrup and some ice. I blended it all and am able to drink it. They chocolate syrup helped ALOT. It was expensive at my store ($4.07) but if it helps get the Protein down, I'll pay it. And since I only used a squirt it should last a while.

I used all the chocolate protein powder today but still have vanilla and strawberry that I might add a squirt to also and try it.

Keep trying to get it in, I'm preaching to myself here, but we def need the protein.

Good luck:)

I drink the chocolate muscle milk. They have new resealable cartons now. I can drink half and save the rest for later. The mixable powder was gross to me. I get mine at sams. Each one has 20grams Protein but it's 180 calories. The light milk is only 100cals though. And the light tastes the same to me. Although it has a straw instead of a cap. Hope this helped. =]