Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard Time With Pre Op Diet.

Day two on my diet and I'm so hungry. It may all just be all in my head. All I think about is food. What can I do. I'm on the 2 Proteins shakes and dinner diet under 800 calories. Has anyone cheated and still lost the 10lbs in 2weeks???? Please help.

on my pre op diet, i was all liquid. please dont cheat. you are shrinking your liver for surgery. the first 4 days to me were the hardest. drink alot (sf popsicles saved me) as did chicken broth....its a mind game. if you want this surgery, stay strong. you are the only one who can do this. (you will read some who may say they cheated and its okay, its not okay). you need to be mentally tough to do this. i am so proud of you.

go hour by hour...the outcome is you being a banded queen

I wasn't required to lose 10 pounds and I only had a one week pre-op but I can tell you I sautéed literally an entire package of costco sized mushrooms with olive oil and that filled me up so good and i just ate a whole ton of veggies and chicken, which was bomb! Like a lot. And I lost 7.5 pounds in that week. I think if you eliminate sugar and carbs that's going to make a huge difference! Think about what you're doing! Start changing your mind about food now! You can do it! Try excersizing too! That way when you do eat food you don't have to worry as much! :) good luck! I'm 5 days post-op and I'm down 13 pounds! WORTH IT!!! :)

Definitely don't cheat. It's not worth it. The whole purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver. Obese people have very enlarged, fatty livers. The surgeon must be able to safely work around and even maneuver the liver during surgery when placing the band. The good news is, the liver is one of the very first places we lose fat, hence the diet to shrink it.

It is rare, but I have stories of people who totally cheated on their pre-op diet, went in for surgery, and came out with all the scars but no band because when the surgeon got inside they saw the liver was too enlarged to operate safely.

You definitely don't want that.

Hang in there and stick to the plan. It's in your best interest.

Thanks I'm at work and that lean cuisine is tempting me. . I'm going to toss it and be strong. Thanks for the advise. I so love all this encouragement.

It is hard, no doubt. I am 2 weeks post-op and just moving on to mushy/soft food. Are you allowed a snack during the day? I had a Protein Shake in a.m., snack of a hard boiled egg and 1 pc of light toast, Protein shake for lunch, 1 graham cracker w/ very small amount of Peanut Butter, then grilled chicken/veggies for dinner. I did that for 2 weeks and lost 10 lbs. I found having the snack during the day (which was endorsed by my dietician) gave me something to look forward to. It gets easier as the days go by. Food still smells so good to me, but thankfully, my conscience and my tummy won't let me have what my mind would like to! It will get easier!!! Good luck!

Now is the time to start practicing that will-power that we all need post-op. You can do this!! The shakes are giving your body the nutrition you need. The hunger is most likely head-hunger (even if your stomach growls disagree!). Be strong! You will have much larger temptations as you adjust to your new eating life-style, so start resisting now!!

I'm on my 3rd day of my 1 week pre-op diet and it's definitely not easy. I feel hungry too. It doesn't help that my little siblings are eating all the foods I'm craving lol! But I just drink a lot

of Water :) it kind of makes me feel like I'm filling myself up. Also, try to distract yourself. I've been going in the pool and it helps! Plus it's a bit of a work out. You can do this! Stay strong! It'll be worth it in the end :) good luck!

pre op isn't easy... i had to do the 2 shakes, one meal and then ONLY liquids for 2 weeks PRE op and 2 weeks POST op... so i KNOW its HARD!

BUT.....

you can totally do it! i learned sooooo much during that month on liquids. first, that i could do it. you feel a sense of accomplishment when you achieve it. i learned that i was addicted to food and its helped me to better deal with temptations now, post op. so hang in there... the first few days are the hardest. day 4 was the worst for me... i even CRIED. i hated it. but was strong and it got easier! if i could do those 4 weeks of liquids without cheating, ANYONE can do it... i've never lasted on a diet longer than a week... so there you go!

YOU GUYS CAN DO IT!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thats me in my cheerleader mode!) lol!!!

I am having the same problem so your not alone. I am on day 11 and its still hard for me. But i have had two slip ups and i feel horrible about them so just keep up the wheel power and dont cheat (easy for me to say) I still have 14 days to go and i am trying my hardest not to cheat and to stay on track because i have came to far to have my doc open me up and than close me back up because my liver isnt shrank. just remember why you are doing this!! and it will be over before we know it right :)

So how much have you lost in pre op diet?

I've just finished day 2 also; two shakes and any kind of Soup for my third meal. I am hungry, but since I'm allowed to have my soup for any meal, I've been having it for lunch. Thats the time of day that I seem to most need to actually eat something, so it's been working out well. I'm already bored with the shakes though and trying to find ways to make them more interesting. Mentally it helps me to add fruit to the shakes and when you blend them up it's like they double in size.

...and is it just me, because I'm hungry, or does it seem like everyone talks about food all day long?!