Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2Nd Fill, Still Not Feeling Restriction...is This Normal?

I have had my band filled twice since my surgery in April and I still do not feel any true restriction. I can still eat a whole salad or an entire sandwich. It's not like I'm gorging on crap, but I thought I would be getting full on say, half of a sandwich or half of a salad or cup of Soup. I initially lost almot 40 lbs post surgery, due to not really being able to eat. Now, I'm not losing anything, although I've had two fills. This is so frustrating!

Yes, it is normal. Most people require multiple fills before finally having adequate restriction. It can be frustrating but it will come eventually.

One small piece of advice- just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. We should be eating a maximum of 1 cup of food per meal total. Just because you can eat more than a cup does not mean you should.

Also, keep in mind restriction doesn't mean the inability to eat more nor does it mean stuffed full. It means satisfied, or no longer hungry, on a cup or less of food for 4-5 hours between meals.

Have a look here, it might help :)http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/151340-restriction-full-vs-satisfied/page__p__1794810#entry1794810

I agree with Mis73. Just because you can eat something does'nt mean you should. I love and can eat breat but I choose not to. I make sandwiches out of romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread.

As to salads for me they are more of a slider.

Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz of solid Protein per meal.

You probably won't ever feel full on a cup of Soup. Soups is a slider. Will pass right through the pouch.

I pre-measure out all of my Protein at the beginning of the week, so I don't have to think about it. I have a food scale, etc...If I eat a whole sandwich, it's because I am hungry. Eating one cup of food does not make me feel full, and an hour later, I'm nibbling. I've been drinking tons of Water to try and fill the gap, but it would be nice if I didnt have to do all of that, now that I have the band. I am trying to wait before I get another fill (for what I honestly do not know, don't want to seem like a "fill junkie"). I just thought I'd have the same full feeling I had immediately after my surgery when I got my fills.

It took me 4 fills to reach good restriction...at least you are giving it adequate time and not saying.."I got a fill yesterday and I feel nothing"...just be careful with dr. Elli cuz he always over fills me..but then again my band is a big baby and can't take much...lol!

The band won't help you feel full until you've had enough fills. If it's been more than 3 weeks since your last fill I would get another. I did not get restiction until 10.6 CC's

It took me 4 fills to reach good restriction...at least you are giving it adequate time and not saying.."I got a fill yesterday and I feel nothing"...just be careful with dr. Elli cuz he always over fills me..but then again my band is a big baby and can't take much...lol!

I see Dr. Myers and he is very conservative with the fills. I'm gonna give it another month though!

Wow..it's funny how the two doc's are so different...does he have a set amount he gives all his patients...I talk to dr.elli before each fill and we figure out what should work for me.

Personally before restriction I would eat my 3 oz o Protein and then low fat/cal veggies until full. You're consuming a lot of calories for very little nutrition with bread. My recommendation would be to cut out the bread and eat more veggies and or fruit.< /p>