Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm borrowing the title of Jen Lancaster's book for my topic title, it's a great summer read btw.

All my life I've heard, "Awww, you've got such a pretty face" at first it feels like a compliment, then, wait, no, not so much.

So now that I'm banded as of July 5th, the people who told me, "Oh my God, don't do it, you don't need it, you've got such a pretty face."

can stop with the nonsense.

I tell them, pretty face, okay, but unhealthy body, heart, mind and this is me finally doing something for myself and getting a tool that is going to help me be... such a pretty woman. Well, shoot, let's blow "pretty" out of the Water, I'm going for gorgeous, mmmm-kay??!

People say, well you did so well on such and such diet and when you were exercising more, you should do that again.

Wow. Thank you, friend, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.

Since my surgery, the NaySayers, the folks who discouraged me about the lapband, have asked how I'm feeling, since I haven't showered since yesterday morning, my hair is greasy and my eye make up is jacked, clearly I'm not back to 100%, I'm pretty sure they feel vindicated. See, we told you it was not good for you. I didn't have the energy to argue but the proof is in the sugar free pudding my friends, tomorrow I'll be feeling much better, a shower is in my future and some fake diva eyelashes. We'll see how quickly they change their minds and start to tell people, "oh my friend/neighbor/relative had lapband surgery done and she looks fantastic!"

Definitely a huge step to decided for the surgery! Sure does feel good to do something for yourself right?

I had people saying similar things to me.. I remember a customer who came into my work and said "you have such pretty hair... If only you could get rid of all the fat"... I just wanted to run into a corner and cry...

I know right now you are feeling crappy now only a few days after surgery... I'm only 2 months out from my surgery and lost 30 lbs already! :)... And all the naysayers are now saying "that's the best thing you have done for yourself!"... Makes me wanna smack some sense into them to not try to discourage people from doing what's best for them...

Good luck with your journey.... And you will have to keep us posted on your success!! :-)

You said everything I have been feeling. I too have always been told "You have a pretty face". Guess I can't wait for my body to catch up with my "pretty face"!!! I've had some comments like you also. It's frustrating, but I'm ready to show them!! :)

Ha, you made me laugh out loud, literally! Oh, that first shower after surgery......the best shower EVER! I actually had someone tell me....,"You are so pretty, just think how beautiful you would be if you lost weight" this was said by a stranger in a gro store, UGH!

I can't even count the number of times I've been told that in my life - even has this fiddle player once say to me I don't go for fat chicks but your face is gorgeous - like I should be flattered!

I guess we all have had someone tell us something good but bad about ourselves. But guess what it has lead us to better days. We live and we all learn a lot. I once was told by a co-worker T. Williams you are a pretty girl why dont you lose some weight because you will really be pretty then. I thought that was funny but deeply i knew she was right. But i knew i wasnt finish with having kids and i didnt wont to take this journey to prefection and then mess it back up and have to start back over again so i am now done with having kids. I have four and my husband and i have decided that is enough so we both are trying to change our life style. I am doing this for me and not anyone else. I am just tired of being obesed. By next year i will be at my goal weight and that will be a great feeling.

Oh man, some great comments here!!

"You are so pretty, just think how beautiful you would be if you lost weight'

Heard that for 18 years from Dear Ol Dad. He thought he was helping. Daddy issues....Party of One?

The fiddle player that compli-sulted you, DownHome??? omg Where do you even go with that? "Oh thanks anyway but even tho you play a mean fiddle, I only go for drummers."

But Banded on 4/12 set it straight. You're right I guess, about it being the truth. Of course it's true, that's why we are on our way to gorgeous but FAR be it for strangers to comment on such a personal battle. Would we say to someone with a huge facial birthmark, 'wow, you are so pretty, if you could just get rid of that huge mark...' Heck no, well at least I hope people wouldn't say something like that. Banded 4/12, in no way shape or form did anyone's comments ever motivate me. Ever.

But you're right, Banded, we are on a journey to perfection. And you made me laugh when you wrote "obesed" Made me think of a future blog title "Oh-Beast" coming soon.

My bad you know what i ment LOL. but we will over come obesity.

After I had the surgery. Even though I had over 100 lbs to lose. My neighbors kept telling me that they see that I lost weight. It always made me feel great..Keep up all the good work and continue to focus on what YOU want. hugs.

I'm borrowing the title of Jen Lancaster's book for my topic title, it's a great summer read btw.

All my life I've heard, "Awww, you've got such a pretty face" at first it feels like a compliment, then, wait, no, not so much.

So now that I'm banded as of July 5th, the people who told me, "Oh my God, don't do it, you don't need it, you've got such a pretty face."

can stop with the nonsense.

I tell them, pretty face, okay, but unhealthy body, heart, mind and this is me finally doing something for myself and getting a tool that is going to help me be... such a pretty woman. Well, shoot, let's blow "pretty" out of the Water, I'm going for gorgeous, mmmm-kay??!

People say, well you did so well on such and such diet and when you were exercising more, you should do that again.

Wow. Thank you, friend, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.

Since my surgery, the NaySayers, the folks who discouraged me about the lapband, have asked how I'm feeling, since I haven't showered since yesterday morning, my hair is greasy and my eye make up is jacked, clearly I'm not back to 100%, I'm pretty sure they feel vindicated. See, we told you it was not good for you. I didn't have the energy to argue but the proof is in the sugar free pudding my friends, tomorrow I'll be feeling much better, a shower is in my future and some fake diva eyelashes. We'll see how quickly they change their minds and start to tell people, "oh my friend/neighbor/relative had lapband surgery done and she looks fantastic!"

love. it. very well said!

Ha, you made me laugh out loud, literally! Oh, that first shower after surgery......the best shower EVER! I actually had someone tell me....,"You are so pretty, just think how beautiful you would be if you lost weight" this was said by a stranger in a gro store, UGH!

I've had people say the same thing to me! How do you reply to that??! :/

We should, for fun, make up responses to that comment.

1.) (the mean response) Oh thank you, and just think how people will actually listen to you after a few breath mints.

2.) (the I'm going to try to make you feel bad response) Oh thank you, I actually thought I looked beautiful today as I am. (sniff sniff)

3.) (espanol) Lo siento, no habla ingles, jerk.

any others come to mind?

I mean, I would never say any of them, usually I just agree with them. lol wuss.

Funny!!! I do prefer drummers anyhow!

another mean (and possibly slightly immature) response... "thank you! its too bad there's no way to fix an ugly face and skinny body" whilst giving him/her the body check. in the words of kelso from the 70's show... "ooooo burn!"

lol

btw jenband... i totally looked up the book, "such a pretty fat" and read the little preview and LOVED it. therefore took advantage of my lunch (which during my current post op liquid time is pointless) to go pick it up. so as i sipped on my broth (again, post-op liquids) at my desk, i read a couple chapters. great book. she reminds me of conversations i have with my bff all the time. lol

lol @ ooooo burn!

u so funny