Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Monday, What Should I Expect?

My first fill is scheduled for Monday (4 wks after banded) and I'm a little anxious. I have watched YouTube and read some posts and most people say that the fill is not painful. However, I have read that some people have been poked multiple times to find the port. I don't even know what size band I have or if any ccs were added during the original banding process (I plan on asking the doctor on Monday). How does the first fill feel? How do you feel afterwards? What are some best practices? Any advice would be great!!

I had my first fill a couple of weeks ago. It went really well. I was so nervous before hand, She had me lay back with my hands about my head. She felt for the port, and said it was easy to find :) . She injected a little bit of numbing meds, then inserted the needle. I won't lie, for me I definitely felt the needle going in, it didn't really hurt, but felt lots of pressure. she put in 3cc, band was empty at surgery.

Then she had me sit up, with the needle still in :unsure: that was weird, but it didn't hurt. I had to drink some Water. Since it gurgled a little going down she took about 0.5cc. after that it went down fine. laid back down and she removed the needle.

I was on full liquids for 2 days, then mushies for a day, then advanced my diet as tolerated. Felt a difference the first couple of days, no pain, but more pressure in my chest when I was eating or drinking. That went away. now I don't feel much different, unless I eat to fast.

Hopefully iy will go as smoothly for you.

I have never once felt so much as a prick during a fill. No pain whatsoever.

Some good advice I was given before my first fill that proved invaluable- be sure to take a big gulp of Water before leaving the surgeon's office. Not just a little sip, but a big gulp. This way if you're too tight, you'll know it before leaving and they can take a little back out. At both my first and second fills, I had to have 1cc immediately taken back out because while I could swallow a little sip of water but the minute I took a big gulp it started gurgling back up my throat.

Best wishes, and don't worry, you'll do fine :)

I have what my dr calls a 'difficult port' meaning it takes ALOT to find mine. I have had several fills, and each time it takes alot for them to find my port. Twice it has flipped, the first time required me to have a port revision (5 weeks after initial surgery). During my last fill a couple weeks ago, my port had flipped again. This time the dr could manually manipulate it and lflip it back over, but now we know that it likes to move alot. Dont be too nervous, I know that I am the 'odd' one when it comes to fills. Most people can get the fills done with no issues at all.

Fills for most people are very simple and painless.

Thank you everyone. I really hate needles, but I am excited/anxious about Monday. :-) I am hoping that the first is the most difficult because I don't know what to expect.

I only felt a prick of a needle...and my first fill was done at the hospital under fluoroscopic imaging to make certain that the band and port were positioned properly and working as they should. My surgeon had me watch the imaging screen while I took a gulp of Water to see the images of the water going through the band...pretty fascinating!

I was in and out of the room within 15 minutes...

The needle dosn't hurt maybe a little sting, but the Chalk tastes well like chalk LOL

I think the neat thing is actually watching the fuild go down after the barium drink!

First fill was pretty painless. Who knew that you can have local anesthesia without a needle and.feel nothing?I don't know what to expect though. I have absolutely no problem drinking anything and the doctor gave me 3 ccs today. Will I feel the tightness tomorrow?

Glad to hear it went well. I got 2.5 and I don't feel restriction, unless I try and eat too fast.

I had my first fill a couple of weeks ago. It went really well. I was so nervous before hand' date=' She had me lay back with my hands about my head. She felt for the port, and said it was easy to find :) . She injected a little bit of numbing meds, then inserted the needle. I won't lie, for me I definitely felt the needle going in, it didn't really hurt, but felt lots of pressure. she put in 3cc, band was empty at surgery.

Then she had me sit up, with the needle still in :unsure: that was weird, but it didn't hurt. I had to drink some Water. Since it gurgled a little going down she took about 0.5cc. after that it went down fine. laid back down and she removed the needle.

I was on full liquids for 2 days, then mushies for a day, then advanced my diet as tolerated. Felt a difference the first couple of days, no pain, but more pressure in my chest when I was eating or drinking. That went away. now I don't feel much different, unless I eat to fast.

Hopefully iy will go as smoothly for you.[/quote']

My first fill was today and mine went almost identical to yours. My doc used a topical numbing spray then put the needle in. I had no pain just pressure.

I had a fill today and was wondering why we have to be on a 48 hour Fluid diet then mushies again.

You generally need a day of liquids and a day of mushies to let the inflammation around your band/stomach subside. It is swollen after the injection of Fluid. It's just easier on your insides to gradually work your way back to solids after a couple of days.

Gotcha, thanks for the info!