Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going grocery shopping today for the first week of banded life. My surgery is Thursday. I'm putting myself on a liquid diet for the next three days because I've been a bad girl! My MD has me on Clear liquids Wednesday and full liquid diet after surgery for one week, Here's my list so far:

broth

cream Soups

sugar-free popsicles

sugar-free Gelatin

Protein shakes

drinkable yogurt

dry milk

sugar-free carnation instant Breakfast

skim milk

chewable Vitamin

gas-x strips

anything else you folks can think of that I won't be able to live without??

The list looks good, except I would encourage you to read the labels on several of the listed products:

Carnation Instant Breakfast

Cream soups

"Drinkable yogurt"

If you have not yet gotten into the habit of reading lables, now is an excellent time to do so...there are many hidden carbs, and we need to stay from products with added sugar. Always to be aware of the number of fat grams with relation to the Protein grams. FF or low fat items are the best choices.

Post op it will be essential to get the most Protein with the least carbs from everything you ingest. That means that you want to stay away from products which have sugars added, and number of calories/fat grams ratio.

I was advised to avoid cream Soups as they usually have lots of fat, and lack in the amount of protein we need for proper nutrition. If you have not already done so, find out what your daily protein goal range is in grams...a very important number to know and try to achieve daily.

Drinking Water is essential, or another SF FF beverage you like (ie Crystal Light, Mio) should be on hand. I prefer flavored water and unflavored Water.< /span>

I also was told that while on the liquid diet, I needed to take a Fiber supplement. You should check with your surgeon about that.

Best wishes to you!

The list looks good, except I would encourage you to read the labels on several of the listed products:

Carnation Instant Breakfast

Cream soups

"Drinkable yogurt"

If you have not yet gotten into the habit of reading lables, now is an excellent time to do so...there are many hidden carbs, and we needs to stay from products with added sugar. Always to be aware of the number of fat grams with relation to the Protein grams. FF or low fat items are the best choices.

I was advised to avoid cream Soups as they usually have lots of fat, and lack in the amount of Protein we need for proper nutrition. If you have not already done so, find out what your daily protein goal range is in grams...a very important number to know and try to achieve daily.

I also was told that while on the liquid diet, I needed to take a Fiber supplement. You should check with your surgeon about that.

Those items were suggested to me by my bariatric team. They specify it can be either regular, 98% fat free, or Healthy Request. The drinkable yogurt is Dannon Light n' Fit Carb and Sugar Control. And the sugar-free carnation instant breakfast is used for making "power milk" with dry milk and skim milk. My daily protein goal is 60-80g.

Thank you for reminding me of the fiber supplement. That was listed on the next stage.

Those items were suggested to me by my bariatric team. They specify it can be either regular, 98% fat free, or Healthy Request. The drinkable yogurt is Dannon Light n' Fit Carb and Sugar Control. And the sugar-free carnation instant breakfast is used for making "power milk" with dry milk and skim milk. My daily Protein goal is 60-80g.

Thank you for reminding me of the fiber supplement. That was listed on the next stage.

definitely follow what they say!

My experience was that I didn't use most of what I bought...I had no appetite and it was all I could do to sip a little Protein Shake and Water throughout the day. The one indispensable thing for me was a heating pad!

Those items were suggested to me by my bariatric team. They specify it can be either regular, 98% fat free, or Healthy Request. The drinkable yogurt is Dannon Light n' Fit Carb and Sugar Control. And the sugar-free carnation instant breakfast is used for making "power milk" with dry milk and skim milk. My daily Protein goal is 60-80g.

Absolutely follow your doctor's instructions...and the longer you read posts on this forum, you will see how the instructions differ between doctors. I only shared information that I found to be helpful to me, and only suggested that you read the labels and become aware of the fat and sugar grams.

One truism that I will always subscribe to is reading labels...we need to be educated consumers. It helps if you shop only the periphery of the grocery store; and if the bakery is located there, I avoid it...

Your mileage may vary...good luck.

I personally stuck with smooth veggie Soups vs. cream soups. Pacific Brand is quite nice. I added Mrs. Dash non salted flavorings to stock and soups before heating. Added some nice flavor. In general CIB is pretty low in Protein even when made with fat free milk.

i love yogurt but stay away from it bc of the carbs and sugar levels.. where did you find dannon light with the sugar carb control that sounds amazing lol

honk: thanks for the idea of adding Mrs Dash! Great idea. What is CIB?

christina: I didn't find it. My grocery had DanActive Light bottles. Each has 35 calories, 6g carbs, 3g Protein, and 0 fat.