Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm crushed. I am so disappointed. I was banded on 5/29/12 and lost 15 pounds pre-op and had lost 10 pounds post-op in the first 10 days after surgery. As I transitioned to mushies and soft food I was very conscious of what I ate because I had read on this forum that some people gain weight during this phase. I also added excersice to my daily routine. I have been walking between 2 to 3.5 miles for the last 6 days...and the walking trail includes lots of hills. After all of that, I had still gained back 3 pounds.

I am at a loss...I know this is suppose to be a slow process, but I am not ready to see the scale go up. Plus, I keep seeing other people loosing big numbers their first month post-op and I just don't get it.

Ugh! Maybe liquids were not so bad after all.

If you didn't normally exercise before you could just be gaining muscle. I would messure for inches lost. I worked out for 3 months, and only lost 10 pounds but I drop 3 pant sizes. If you are walking a lot of hills you could just be gaining muscle mass in your legs.

Don't sweat it. I have been losing V E R Y slowly and now a almost a year out I'm down just over 50 lbs. slow and steady...

You're 2.5 weeks post op! You're not supposed to be losing weight yet. This is a time for healing. If you consume a lot of sodium or carbs, that will cause you to withold fluids and cause you to gain weight. Chill out girl. There's a long road ahead of you still.

tmf

Every now and then I just shoot up 3 pounds. In a couple of days it will just disappear without any extra effort. This has happened to me numerous times. I feel kind of bloated and gassy, they bang... it's just gone. Sort of think it is just a "woman" thing???

:mellow: Hmm- well you could get a food scale to measure your food quanity. I find that when I did start to exercise my food intake was the problem,,,,,and your building muscle which is more that fat,,, B) I am so hungry! after a workout! I have to fight not to eat after an hour of exercise. Perhaps keep a food or daily journal and perhaps you could find your culprit! I will be banded in September-pre op stage. But on the positive side, you have lost! Good luck

I just thought of another thing, if you didn't used to work out before and you just started a new routine, your body is holding on to Water to heal your muscles. It's very normal. And when you are building muscle like that, your muscles swell due to tearing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Missy...I had surgery April 3rd...and have lost 30 punds since surgery. But I have noticed a trend for myself anyways. I lost about 10-15 of that the first 2 weeks...then I stalled. Then I lost 2-3 more pounds...then stalled. I was at 170 for 3 weeks!!!! gaining one pound...losing one pound...etc. It was frustrating. Then I lost 5 more pounds last week...and guess what...I am stalled again this week. I can't speak for anyone else but it seems in my case at least that my body kind of goes through a stabilization after a couple of pounds lost. Then if I keep exercising and eating right...I lose a couple of more pounds. You might have the same trend. Also - since you are now able to eat "real" food...you may gain a few pounds as your body heals. Watch your sodium intake as well...as that gain could be Water gain as well.

I follow that same path of weight loss as dhales. I was at 192-194 for 10 days, then over one weekend I dropped to 188. Now I flirt between 188-192 for the last week. So if the trend continues, I'll drop to 185 and hang out between 185-188 for a few weeks. I used to sweat it but not anymore.

tmf

Don't get discouraged. Your body is working very hard & it knows where it needs to be. My surgeon was very honest & told me that in many cases we replace one addiction (food) with another (the scale). He warned me to not do that b/c it can be damaging to my (our) journey. Don't focus on the numbers. Focus on how you feel, the weight will come off. It's a slow journey, enjoy it. I never weight myself more than once a week, most times every other week. It will fluctuate but that's okay:). Try really hard to not focus on the scale it will drive you crazy.

I do not own a scale so I have to wait until I go to the doctor's office to be weighed. I have noticed that a lot of people become obsessed with weighing themselves, sometimes daily, and it is not good to do this. Our weight fluctuates due to many reasons, some of them hormonal. However, instead of focusing on the weight, focus on how you feel. You know that when you are eating healthy and exercising your body feels so much better so focus on that. It is a long process but it will happen.