Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perspective

I know it can be tough to watch people's weights go down when yours is stuck, or watch their sizes go while you're still wearing your "fat pants".

Something occured to me the other day - that it might help to see what others "fit" like - at your weight and size.

For example:

I am 5'9" tall, weigh 246.6 (still! argh), and am wearing size 20 jeans that are neither tight nor loose. My blouses and sweaters are 20/22. I wear a 40DD bra.

Someone else at 246.6 pounds, who is maybe shorter by several inches, would more than likely be wearing bigger sizes still, and might be discouraged by that.

So, if you'd like to - aid your fellow bandsters by contributing to the Perspective, so we can all know we're right where we're supposed to be, and keep our discouragement down and our spirits up!

Sorry but I don't agree with your premise, we need to feel comfortable with ourselves. If we continue to base our opinions of ourselves on the stats of other people we will always feel some pain. I have seen posts that ask people to include their height so people can have perspective. This is really just a way for people to feel better about themselves beacuse they are less fat that someone else.

I have also seen posts from folks who talk about the fact that they have not had any fills or that they have only had a small fill. I sense that the implication is that they are doing a better job because they are doing this more on their own and someone who has had more fill volume is not as good at weight loss.

I am very tall but the fact that I may weigh the same as someone else who is shorter does not make me a better fat person. I am doing this for my health not so I can look around the room and feel better about myself.

I want everyone to feel good about themselves because they deserve to, being fat does not make a person a bad person just as being thin does not imply any propencity to goodness.

We succeed when we are proud of ourselves not because we are able to find examples of people we think we can feel superior to.

This note may sound harsh and if it does I apologize, I am late for a meeting and I don't have the time to review it to make sure I am being as gentle as I should. Please do not take this personaly

Good Luck

Sorry but I don't agree with your premise, we need to feel comfortable with ourselves. If we continue to base our opinions of ourselves on the stats of other people we will always feel some pain.

No offense taken, but I disagree with how you're looking at this.

I don't base my opinion of myself on anything but myself. But it does help occasionally to look at someone else's stats - especially if I'm having a "I feel HUGE" day, and realize that I'm NOT huge that day - I'm just having a moment.

The premise isn't to make yourself feel good about yourself when you're smaller than someone else. I'd never condone that. This is about perspective, plain and simple. And it's something - based on the number of body image books on the market today - that most of us do NOT have.

The premise is to make us realize that we have very little perspective sometimes when it comes to ourselves - that our progress is moving along - that we are succeeding - even if we're having a bad day, it doesn't mean looking in the mirror reverts to our pre-band image.

Our own perspective is what needs to change. And I think knowing that you're wearing the same size jeans as someone else you *admire* from this board is -- just might be a little smile and lift for you when you need it.

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 216 pounds

Pants size: 16/18

Shirt size: XL/1X

Bra size: 40DD

Shoe size: 7 1/2

Ring size: 6 1/2

weight 200

height 5'8"

size 16 jean

size 16/xl top

38c Bra

Also an NSV! A size Large T-shirt!!!!

Height: 5'3"

Weight: 186 pounds

Pants size: 14/16/18 depends on the pants !:heh:

Shirt size: L/XL

Bra size: 40D

Shoe size: 6 1/2

Ring size: 6 1/2

There are so many factory involved. Don't know how much this will help you but

5'7"

Pants- 22

Tops 22/24

bra- 42C

shoe- 10

Tommy O, I understand what you are saying and it may just be a girl thing, but we can't tell what we look like for some reason. Perspective is exactly what I need sometimes. I am not wanting to know these things so I can compare if I am a better fat person or not, I am comparing so I can see where I am and how my body shape is different and so I can tell what ACTUAL size I am. Sometimes I will point to a person and ask my husband, "Am I that size?" I honestly just can't tell sometimes, no matter what my sizes say and no matter what the scale says. I like to know where I am and it helps me figure my own size and shape by knowing these things. Perspective is exactly right. Maybe this will help you understand the womans view of it, or maybe just my own view.

Mine: 5'4", 209, size 16 jeans, 18-20 and some XL tops, 40 B bra size. I am very top (belly and back) heavy and have short little toothpick legs and arms.

5'4", 340 pounds, size 28-30 or 3x to 4x, bra is 42DDD. I am between a triple D and double D. I used to be a 5x, but have moved to a 4x, and even some of those are big. yay! I am very muscular under all this fat, so i weigh more than i look according to many people. or maybe they are just being nice. who knows. lol

Dunno if this will help you much, since I'm a guy, but it looked fun :)

6'5" in the morning - the Evil Gravity Overlord ensures that I'm down to about 6'3.5" by bedtime.

490 pounds - down from 515

66" waist

6X or 7X shirt

15EEEEW shoe

Great idea!!! It is often hard for me to get a perspetive on my weight/size because I am tall. I am 5' 11" and 254 ( not yet banded). I wear a size 22 jeans ( tight- refuse to buy bigger as my weight has gone up, but hey they will soon be loose, right:), 44DD ( had to do twisty pretzel thing to look at tag). I wear a 3-4x as well in tops etc. I remember being a size 14 thinking that was too much. I will be so pleased to get down to that size ( and maybe more).

I think this is a good idea just for the sake of perspective. Tommy, I see what you are saying, but I think the point really is that alot of us really don't know how we look from the outside. Whenever I see someone that I *think* is my size, I make my fiancee tell me how far off I am (bigger/smaller, etc).

5' 6"

225lbs

Size 16 Jeans (some 18s, but I wont buy them!)

Large shirts 'fit' but I don't like things that snug on my stomach so I wear XL (16/18? I'm not sure, I don't buy shirts sized like that)

8 and 1/2 shoe, some W, some not.

38DDD bra

7 3/4 Ring size.

Marimaru

My husband HATES it when I ask him-Am I bigger or smaller than her? He gets very annoyed. He will not answer anymore. If he does answer he tells me something I do not want to hear. Just out of spite.