Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO,

I HAD THE BAND DONE ON JULY 2009 AND STILL HAVE NOT LOST ANY WEIGHT, I HAVE HAD THE BAND TIGHTENED BUT IT MADE ME THROW UP FOR MONTHS SO I FINALLY HAD THE Fluid REMOVED. I NEVER RELALY FOUND THE SWEET SPOT. THE DR NEVER GAVE ME A DIET TO FOLLOW WITHER. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT WITH THE BAND? THANKS NANCY

I'm surprised your doctor never told you how to eat afterwards! Seems like some sloppy aftercare. Anyways, here's what I was told:

1) no more than one cup at a time, stop eating after 20 minutes even if not finished

2) eat solid Protein first, then vegetables, then if you want a couple of bites of a carb like rice or something. But always Protein first

3) take you time. Put your fork down between bites.

4) don't drink any liquids with meals or for .5 to .75 hours afterwards. If you drink it just pushes the food through, which stops you from feeling full.

5) CHEW everything REALLY WELL!! This is super important. Too big of a bite and it will come back up.

I have been told no foods will be off limits to me but I do find certain things are too difficult to eat so I avoid them. Doughy breads, dry meats (although I do well with jerky), fruits and veggies with skins still on. This is a learning curve; everyone has different things they have trouble with and you will have to find yours.

I would say you need to have a fill, but maybe just a small one. Don't know how much your band holds, but try something small like 2 or 3 ccs. Do a day of liquids then a day of mushies to adjust to your Fluid. I hope you're able to find a way to make it work, otherwise it seems like such a waste! Good luck!

Go back to the dr and ask for small fills, ask him about a dietician, ask the staff for instructions, that they didnt give you. Are you on Facebook at all? You might want to try lapband divas. I would follow a Atkins program with high Protein and low carbs. I would drink 8 glasses of Water per day. I would exercise 5x a week for 30 min. I would eat less. 1cup/ 3 oz of protien. I would get a book on Protein, carbs and calories. I would go and join on a group called bandedliving.com Those girls will faint when you tell them this. I would ask my dr why he has not done right by you. I would find out what brand lapband I had and let that company know what has happened. .I would join sparkpeople.com. team: lapband surgery. I am coleader there. Miss ilene. I would go on the lapband.com site, or if you have a realize band go one realize.com

I hope that you have given up all your soda. No white flours, no bread, rice, Pasta, potatos. pizza. I would not drink with food, or right after eating. I would have a good nights sleep.

Shocked that you have had your band for nearly 3 years and that you haven't received the help and guidance that you should have.

The throwing up was probably from not adjusting your eating style. You do need to take small bites, chew well, wait between bites etc to make sure that throwing up doesn't happen. The suggestions above are great. If your Dr is not willing to work with you then I would be transferring to a new one.

Joining LBT should help too, lots of people here with lots of experience to answer all your questions.

Hope you soon start achieving the losses that you desire.

i had myand for about two years and only lost 43 pounds and i dnt eat a lot at all i just want to get o my goal weight that is 160 thats it please help me.

Remember that the band is only a tool. This is why the Gastric bypass is so different. With the lapband, you have to use your tool but you need to use your feet and walk. Walking is great for the heart. We all (and I include myself) have done a terrible injustice to our bodies. This is now our time to right the wrong. The lapband will never make us not eat, lose the weight, or stop us from eating the wrong food. It will however, after fills create a restriction for us not to over eat. Think again what got you obese in the first place. Stay away from those foods. They are not your friends. Find friends who have been sucessful with the lapband and learn from them. This is not a 1 time fix, it is a life time journey for the rest of your life. A life that would have been shortened if you didnt take charge. Do this for yourself not me. I know what I am doing for myself. Today I turned 64, I might not have lived much longer...I was obese. I was discusting. I looked like cr****P.

WOW!! My Dr. is wonderful. I go in for my fill and then see the dietician I did the lap band in Oct.2011 and have lost 55 lbs. Talking to the dietician really helps..I would check into other dr's in you area. The support afterwards I feel is so important.

After you follow the other forum members advice, the only good advice I can add is..........chew your food to the consistancy of applesauce............This helped me........BUT........you have to get things turned around.........so listen to those that have "fought the battle and WON"

Cindysmom i love how you explain everything. U coulf write a book im learning so much from whst u write. I just got approved waiting to go to my consent appt. Then surgery date.. theres so much to learn. But thanks . And i would hope that yall can get place so your body can lose

I go in 5 days for my band. Just curious if after 55 lbs you can tell a difference in your clothes size? I.mean a lot? I

I go in 5 days for my band. Just curious if after 55 lbs you can tell a difference in your clothes size? I.mean a lot? I

BonnieLuuu

Yes I went from a size 24 and I am just on the cusp of going into a size 16!! Huge amount of difference in clothes. I also exercise 4 or 5 days a week, Zumba, walking, biking and just started running today.. the weight comes off but the inches are amazing..good luck on your new and improved you!!