Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed My Sleep Study!!!!

The Dr office called to inform me that my worst nightmare has come true...i have to redo my sleep study!!!! It was the worst experience I have had in a long time. I laid there, kept my eyes closed and tried to sleep...for hours. I think I got 2hrs at the most. I'm so dreading this, but was told my doctor doesnt operate without a diagnosis either way, apnea or no apnea...I am able to take some tylenol pm, I hope I can sleep this time. :(

Oh no

I failed my first study too. The second went much better. Unfortuntely, I had sleep apnea.

THEN, if I have sleep apnea, I have to go back AGAIN for another study with a mask. I have gone through so much testing, poking, and prodding, but I have seriously considered calling off the whole thing, this is how much I HATED the sleep study. I was so happy it was over! Waaaaah

I took a couple/few antihistamines before I went. That way I was able to fall asleep quicker. Even then I still was only able to get about 4 hours recorded sleep time. Sometimes if the problems show up soon after you fall asleep they will fit you for a mask the same night and you don't have to go back. That happened with my hubby. Good luck to you!

I honestly can sleep just ablout anywhere. I thought i would have no problem with the study. However, I usually go to bed at around 12:30. The night of the study, i was hooked up, and lights were out by about 10:30. I had no time after being hooked up to relax. I tried going to sleep, and started getting worried. What if i cant aleep, I'm gonna fail, I am going to have to do this again, I hate this, singing songs in my head, saying prayers, saying the alphabet, counting up to 60, backwards from 60....worst night ever.

When I talked to the sleep center today, I had to make two more appts...one for the next sleep study, and one if needed, if I end up with a sleep apnea diagnosis. Looks like they wont do it all in one shot :-/

If it is any consolation, my second study lasted only about four hours. The hassle was waiting to get an appt with the MD who at the time was it for our area. I have been able to live with the full mask for close to ten years now. My sleep MD told me a couple of months ago that I probably won't be able to get rid of it due to a narrow airway. He did say however that the pressure could be reduced significantly by weight loss and was a strong supporter for the surgery. The anesthesia MD said I won't be able to get rid of it either.

Lots of good luck to you, hon.

Melinda

I had an overnight sleep study and a daytime sleep study. I had to stay the next day until 4 pm and they made me try to "nap" every other hour. It was horrible.

I have apnea and I had to go back for the mask sleep study. I couldn't tolerate any of the masks and they sent me home at 1 am.

Hopefully, the weight loss will help the apnea because I can't wear a mask and I won't go back for another study to try.

What happens if you do not sleep? I only sleep from 5:30 am when my husband goes to work until I have to get up for work myself about 8:00 am and this almost every night for years. Even with perscription sleep medication. When I went to see my Dr he asked if I had this I said don't you have to sleep to have this? No sleep study for me. Good luck hope it will be easier second time.

Cheri

Im not sure, how do you get by with such a small amount of sleep? ?? I would be dead! I love to sleep, which is why I don't understand why I couldn't sleep at the study. Like I said, I checked with the sleep center and i am allowed to take a sleep aid, so i will be doing so! I already did a trial run by taking two tylenol pm and within 30 mins, I was barely able to keep my eyes open! I feel better about going to my study now, but I hope I don't end up with apnea, because then I have to go back AGAIN!!!

My doctor's office has a portable machine that you can take home with you; ask you doctor if they have one. My husband had to do a sleep study - due to apnea, and failed his first test miserably. Second one he was able to sleep much better. STILL has apnea, but the good news is, you can use a CPAP during surgery, and a while after surgery, you won't need it. ;-)

I really did not need one to get the lapband because my bmi is high enough but after meeting with the pulmologist he said my neck was thick and I should have one done. I am sure the fact that my insurance paid for it was a factor too. I told him that I really don't even snore and I never woke up short of breath. But he did a split test. The first couple of hours I slept regular and then around 1 am the put the mask on me and I slept until 5 am with the mask on. I did pull it off once. He came back in to put it back on. I swear that I had a dream that he told me to take it off LOL He said that I it happened again he would have to put a full mask on. I still do not know if I have sleep apnea. I guess I don't cause I never got a call with results.

i was really scared with my first study. i was diagnoised with sleep apnea years ago. too bad your dr's office doesnt do this all in one shot. ask if you can switch to another center. the one i went to was really nice, although i felt very wierd about being hooked up to all those cords and wires. I dont go to sleep until 2-3am. they said i had to go to sleep around 11. i got there at 8 to get prepped and relaxed. if i couldnt fall asleep they had meds to help. a few days later my dr called and told me i had severe apnea and i just had to go to a pulmonary dr to get fitted for a mask, no new sleep study. My most recent study was a nightmare but ony because they were doing a study on a little boy who was loud and rowdy until 1am and finally his parents took him home. i hope you are able to go somewhere else and have a much better calmer experience.

SO yet again, I didn't sleep. Took anxiety meds during the day bc I was so stressed, and took two sleeping pills at around 9:00. Was in bed by 10, and the last time I remember looking at the clock, it was 12:45. I kept waking up and closing my eyes, begging myself to go to sleep, but I just couldn't! I was up again around 4. I have NO problems sleeping at home. If I have to do another sleep study, I don't know what I will do.

I had a really hard time at my sleep study. No problem falling asleep at home, but during the study, couldn't fall asleep until around 2am!!!! Took Benadryl and alleve and that really didn't help much. No need for the CPAP, they found that I snore. A LOT!!!