Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Entering the 2 week Pre-OP

Hi Everyone!

I am Mike amd I am entering the Pre OP liquid diet period - am schedulede to be banded 5/20. Would like to hear of your struggles during this pre OP period and how you kept yourself going. I was right on yesterday sticking with my plan and not it is a new day and I do it all over again...What ever got you thru would be sustainance for me Thanka All

Mike4140

Hi Everyone!

I am Mike amd I am entering the Pre OP liquid diet period - am schedulede to be banded 5/20. Would like to hear of your struggles during this pre OP period and how you kept yourself going. I was right on yesterday sticking with my plan and not it is a new day and I do it all over again...What ever got you thru would be sustainance for me Thanka All

Mike4140

Hello,

I begin my two week pre-op diet on Tuesday the 17th. Will let you know how I make out. Good Luck with Surgery!

Hi mike, i am on day 4 of my pre-op liquid diet and so far so good. I have moments when i feel hungry, but if i can occupy myself for about 10 minutes i usually goes away. With this pre-op diet i'm starting to realize how many times i ate, just to be eating and not really being hungry at all. I chew a lot of gum. some people feels it will make you hungry, but it just keep my mouth occupied, cuz i kinda miss chewing as crazy as that may sound. I am making sure to stay away for social situations surroundign food for right now cuz i dont wanna torture myself. I'm proud that I've have many temptations but havent given in. Best wishes to you. i get banded on the 20th as well!B)

Hi Jennifer!

Thanks for your thoughts...have you heard any thing from Dr or nutritionist about chewing gum during pro op diet phase?

The other nite at my Dau's softball game one of trhe kids gave me somecum..it ended up being sugar free but it tasted great and did something for the need to chew piece you were mentioning.

I have noticed after 6 days on pro op diet that I am adjusting...not feeling as strong a hunger feeling. I got a book on Mindfulness an deating that conmes with a dvd...am hoping to get some ideas cause I am also realizing this is not a temporary thing...this is real life from here on out and my relationship with food really has to change.

What state are you eting banded in? I am geting BAnded in OHIO>..

Thanks for your comments...

Mike

Hi mike, i am on day 4 of my pre-op liquid diet and so far so good. I have moments when i feel hungry, but if i can occupy myself for about 10 minutes i usually goes away. With this pre-op diet i'm starting to realize how many times i ate, just to be eating and not really being hungry at all. I chew a lot of gum. some people feels it will make you hungry, but it just keep my mouth occupied, cuz i kinda miss chewing as crazy as that may sound. I am making sure to stay away for social situations surroundign food for right now cuz i dont wanna torture myself. I'm proud that I've have many temptations but havent given in. Best wishes to you. i get banded on the 20th as well!B)

hi mike. i didnt ask the nutritionist about chewing gum, but i feel i'm not swallowing the gum so what could i be digesting really? I'm getting banded in Chicago. So far it's day 5 and i'm down 7 pounds!!! yeah me!

Hi Jennifer

So this is the week!! WHEW! Are you ready? Is funny as this pre op diet is old hat now...I go my usual Decaf coffee this morn and could not drink it all and then had a little reflux from it so I think my stomach is shrinking...I am also at 7 lbs lost as of Fri but decided to weigh again tom morn - monday..

I have seen in here some concern about gum when the band is in but not during pre op so I use it when I need it. So may drop that when I am banded.

I am getting banded in Cleveland - will be nice to have someone progressing after the surgery at same tinme to talk to...so thanks for being so talkative.

Enjoy your last sunday before banding...new hope is on the way next week

Mike

hi mike. i didnt ask the nutritionist about chewing gum, but i feel i'm not swallowing the gum so what could i be digesting really? I'm getting banded in Chicago. So far it's day 5 and i'm down 7 pounds!!! yeah me!

Hi Everyone!

Mike4140

Hi Mike:

I am on my 3rd day of post-op prior to my surgery date of May 24th. So far, so good!! I was a little light-headed on day 2, but definitely felt better today.

I am avoiding social situations, and trying to have my shakes/soup at home, and I think that is a big help. Good luck with your procedure!

Gigi

Hi Everyone!

Mike4140

Hi, Mike. I am scheduled to be banded on 5/20 in Charlotte, NC. The liquid diet is rough, but i know it will be worth it. In the meantime, I have been survivng on shakes w/ a little frozen fruit (no sugar added, of course) and about a teaspoon of wheat germ blended in. It's a little more filling. Also, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popscicles, and Soup work well. Good luck on your journey! Keep me posted and I'll do the same for you.

Hey! KLOVE

ANother 5/20 banding! We are doin it to it that day! Yeah the liquid is rough...did you do one week of it or two. I really do think I am coming to accept it all - I mean the eating less....this is the beginning I am realizing not just a temporary thing and that realization is helping. I like the wheat germ idea. I notice I skipped the vit C and Iron a couple days and felt weak as all get out..nutrition is big along with this liquid as well. Okay man good to have you along on the ride...I will be thinkin about you on Fri. Keep it up man you are right it will be worth it...

Mike

Hi, Mike. I am scheduled to be banded on 5/20 in Charlotte, NC. The liquid diet is rough, but i know it will be worth it. In the meantime, I have been survivng on shakes w/ a little frozen fruit (no sugar added, of course) and about a teaspoon of wheat germ blended in. It's a little more filling. Also, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popscicles, and Soup work well. Good luck on your journey! Keep me posted and I'll do the same for you.

Hi mike! well i survived a whole week on th liquid diet and nobody is dead, lost any limbs and i'm not in jail! i am soooooo shocked at how well i am doing. i've been tempted like 3 times, but didnt give in! i've lost 11.2 pounds!!! hope all is well with you...can you believe it's just 4 days away!!! cant wait to get the call thurs. nite for my exact time. do you have to stay overnight?

Mike and jennifer1, I checked with my Nutritionist about sugar free gum. She said it was fine, as long as it wasn't swallowed.

Hi mike! well i survived a whole week on th liquid diet and nobody is dead, lost any limbs and i'm not in jail! i am soooooo shocked at how well i am doing. i've been tempted like 3 times, but didnt give in! i've lost 11.2 pounds!!! hope all is well with you...can you believe it's just 4 days away!!! cant wait to get the call thurs. nite for my exact time. do you have to stay overnight?

Do you have all liquid? Or count calories? I got to have small meal and vegies there are vegies that to consume them burns more calories than what they have in them so I was allowed those too? But I kept weighing myself and seeing the daily drop was what kept me going . Also was allowed my coffee too other wise I don't think I would have made it through.