Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I am new to the board. I was banded 2-23-2011 almost 2 weeks ago. Anyways Im 22 and have a daughter who loves to eat pizza! I have found myself finishing the pizza that she does not eat! I am on the soft food phase for 12 more days and I am cheating by constantly nibbling on things i should not be having. I dont have any problems so far with the food going down my band. I lost 16 pounds so far and have been at a stall for the past 3 days. No one around me has the band so I figured I would join this site to kind of keep me motivated! Right now I feel like I can eat anything and it goes down just fine. I do make sure I do not eat more than a cup of food. I feel bad cheating and want to know if any of you experienced this when your were first banded. Sorry for venting I am just a lil fustrated with myself. :(

After two weeks you probably are feeling much better. You'll probably get comments that some doctors allow people to move to mushies and solids after a short period so physically you will be fine. Crying over spilt milk is pointless; I urge you to return to your doctors food orders. You can damage your stomach eating mushies and solids so soon after surgery. Once your swelling goes down you can physically eat food because the band is empty and is just sitting there. Should and Can however are different things.

A huge part of being banded is mental. For now you need to create a new relationship with food. If the food can not be easily saved for another meal; throw it away. Wasteful sure. But is it worth your health? The other thing to consider is should you be giving your daughter smaller portions?

I know I am being tough. People often stall or gain weight when they reintroduce solids to their diet. And that happens with non fat cottage cheese and canned chicken breast. I'm not saying pizzia is intrinsicly bad but even for a bandster who is fully healed it is a high cal/fat option.

I had a longer journey from consult to surgery than most (7 months). One thing that I've finally been able to do is dispose of food that I don' like; or that I determine I should'nt be eating. I used to force myself to eat something because it would be wasteful to throw it away. I don't feel guilty anymore. Also I've made poor food choices at the store and proceded to eat something mindlessly. I've been eating it and said to myself "Why are you eating this?!?!?!!?" walked obver to the trash and thrown the whole package away.

It might just be a kind of second nature thing that you need to train your brain to avoid. Just try to be as aware as you can be of your pitfalls and try to avoid them. Maybe ask your daughter to put the pizza away herself so it doesn't stare you in the face!

I was the same way. Everything will go down fine and you will feel hungry as the same before you got your band. This is normal until you get your fills. I wanted to eat everything in sight and I cheated as well. Just think why did I put myself to go under the knife and now look what im doing? CHEATING! just don't do it. It's easier said than done. I know :( when do you get your first fill?

I just reread your post. I mentioned mushies. If your doctor has approved mushies by all means eat them. You may want to spread your food out at predetermined times. My doctor does not approve of "mindless" snacking but during the healing phase he was fine with a scheduled eating plan. This may help with urges to eat non approved foods because you won't be as hungry. You'll note I said as hungry because the mushie stage is very hard!

The motivation your craving needs to come from yourself. Stop looking for others to help you.

You have a problem with food, you need to address your head issue with food. Try going to a support group or read books that may help you get back on track.

Good luck,

The motivation your craving needs to come from yourself. Stop looking for others to help you.

You have a problem with food, you need to address your head issue with food. Try going to a support group or read books that may help you get back on track.

Good luck,

What is this site for if she can't seek the help from others who have been or going through the same thing?

Your ok, all of us have cheated. And we all will again! Just don't get down on yourself. Try to follow your docs diet. And yep its hard not to finish our kids food, but do like I do immediatly trash it! Lol

You just have to train your brain, the hunger is 90% mental. We are addicted to food, it's hard to say no. That's a big lesson we learn when we get the band.

Hmm maybe don't give your daughter your trigger foods (like pizza)? I don't know what will work for your family... but if it's out of sight it's out of mind. In the end I have pizza! I just have one slice, or a lean cuisine pizza on ocassion. Not the end of the world.

One of the biggest bandster rule is don't graze! If you don't follow the diet, you won't lose weight. Plan your meals out so you will be less likely to cheat... write them down, try fitday.com

Old habits are hard to break.... But trust me, when you start getting fills, some of this stuff won't even interested you. But that takes time.

For now,,, get back on your plan. "YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT YOURSELF." ask your Daughter please not to eat that stuff in front of you, or bring it in the house.

Go out and eat it if possible. That's if it's possible.

Lots of people who have had Bariatric Surgery will get taken out to dinner, and be told pick what you want, it's on me. Or they will bring your favorite food home, Just for you and them.

That's called SABBATOGE! It's not done intenaalley, but they been eating with you a long time. So now this is a MAJOR change to them, and it can be done just by habit..

They will get use to this in time, and you will have to learn to deal with this. (I KNOW MY HUSBAND WAS LIKE THAT.) Now it's I'm not getting involved, you do your own thing, and I cook for him, but have no desire at all to try to eat what he does.

Like I said,,,, this will come in time, where you won't even be interested in all the junk foods.

Hang in there, it will get better.

First, don't beat yourself up. Just treat today like a new day with increased determination.

I certainly don't know your daughter and her temperament, nor do I want to tell someone else how to parent, but I'm wondering if this might be a great opportunity for you to help your daughter be healthy for life by bringing her along for the healthy eating ride? I don't blame my parents for my obesity (well, except for the genetic contribution), but I do wonder if my life would have been different had we as a family had a different eating history. We had the "clean plate" rule, which we all know is a bad thing for setting up the habit to keep eating even after you're full, and then there were the delicious but completely unhealthy foods we regularly indulged in.

I'm not suggesting that you not allow your daughter (or yourself!) pizza ever again-- I certainly still eat it. But maybe it can be something your daughter learns to eat only occasionally in favor of other more healthy foods. Or, at least this can be the case while you are healing??

Again, I don't pretend to know your situation, but it might be nice to look at this as an opportunity to teach your daughter healthy eating right alongside yourself.

As much as my doctor doesnt like me to think in a dieting mode... I needed to do that the first 4-5 weeks to see solid results and get in the mindset that this band will not prevent me from putting the pizza or M & M's in my mouth. Only sheer willpower wil do that.

That said... the first 2 months I ate a strict 1000 calories per day of healthy food and was in the dieting zone. Fast forward to today... 3 months post up and I have seen great results and while i am still in the "zone"... I know that I can make healthy choices which isnt only cottage cheese and tuna fish. And I am still losing weight every single week!!

Everyone cheats... or expands their choices at one time or another. Dont dwell on it.... just pick up where you left off and continue the journey. If pizza is a problem for you... dont bring it into the house. Your daughter will understand if you explain that its just too hard for you to have it around right now. She wants you healthy as much as you do!:)

Best of luck! and remember... nothing tastes as good as thin looks!

Good luck,

Really? This is a support group! We all have a problem with food, that is why we have had or are looking into WLS! Go read a book?

DreamCrazy - You come here anytime you need support. There are so many here that will help you get through what ever you are facing at the time. You will find some that just don't get it but please don't let yourself get discouraged. There is a big group of people here that want to help others.

Don't beat yourself up for cheating. I did to post-op. It wasn't every meal, just dinner I had my first post-op appointment and told the doctor just what I had ate and they told me it was perfectly fine ( I was eating purred and soft foods when I should have been on full liquids). Everything goes down just fine w/ no feeling of restriction. I was moved at 10 days post op to soft foods for 4 days and now onto regular foods. I thought I had no restriction what so ever because everything went down just fine. Now that I am allowed all "normal" foods I have found that I do have some.

The hunger will still be there until we get filled, from what I am told. I struggle with that as well. I don't know about you but I am realizing just how many bad eating habits I actually had/have that I am really working on breaking. I am a huge bread person. I will have the kids and husband eat the pizza and I would eat the crust. So I understand what you are going through. I am finding that it is hard to have the foods in the house, because then I will want them. I don't look at pizza all that bad though. You can make it rather healthy. I make whole wheat pizza dough and roll it out as thin as I can get it. I barely put sauce on it and then add ricotta cheese, spinach, peppers, sun dried tomatoes, etc... Maybe something like that would help, or maybe not. I just thought that I'd share with you what I found worked for me.

Good luck with your journey!! Remember we are here to help you with whatever we can!!

Wendy

Hello everyone I am new to the board. I was banded 2-23-2011 almost 2 weeks ago. Anyways Im 22 and have a daughter who loves to eat pizza! I have found myself finishing the pizza that she does not eat! I am on the soft food phase for 12 more days and I am cheating by constantly nibbling on things i should not be having. I dont have any problems so far with the food going down my band. I lost 16 pounds so far and have been at a stall for the past 3 days. No one around me has the band so I figured I would join this site to kind of keep me motivated! Right now I feel like I can eat anything and it goes down just fine. I do make sure I do not eat more than a cup of food. I feel bad cheating and want to know if any of you experienced this when your were first banded. Sorry for venting I am just a lil fustrated with myself. :(

Don't feel so bad, but try to do what have to do - learn from it and try not to do it again. I was banded on 3/03/11 and am on full liquids. My family all went out to dinner tonight and I ate refried Beans w/cheese & sour cream and a chile relleno! All this was about a full cup of food. I feel like crap for doing it and my left shoulder is achy, but - it is what it is, and I am back on the "Band"wagon for sure LOL. We are only human and this is a major change for us.