Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI, I was banded 3 days ago, 2/25/11. When I feel like I need to burp, it won't come out. It stays in my stomach area and air moves around and it really hurts. Has anyone experienced this? Does it get better. i can only get a little bit of liquid in at a time, like 1/2 a cup. I've been drinking Water, broths, Jello, and Muscle Milk Protein Drinks. I am also starting to get nauseous and dizzy at times, especially when I take the pain medicine. So I stopped taking the medicine after 12:00 noon today and now it is 10:35 p.m. I still salivate and run to the toilet to spit. So far I have not vomited but I feel nauseous. The nausea started to today. Please tell me it is going to get better. Also my shoulder hurts which I knew would happen. Does this get better too...when? I am not at all hungry.

It will get better! I would say you probably have at least a week of that needing to burp feeling. It does suck big time. The shoulder pain does go away too; probably will before the urge to burp does. The nausea-well, everyone is different, I wasn't really nauseus at all during that time. Just make sure you get your liquids in. Staying hydrated is a very big part in healing properly, and I've found that I can eat better when I drink more Water. Congratulations on taking the steps to changing your life!

Hi ya,

Poor thing, I was done on the 24th Feb..here in Australia. It's day 5 for me and the symptoms are easing. I too had the feeling of shocking gas. You do know they 'inflate' your stomach area to operate? That explains the shoulder tip pain. Heat packs helped me. They say that can take up to two weeks to dissipate

I also suffered with nausea, and actually vomitted nightly on days 2 & 3 (mostly air and bile sorry, but it paints a picture of sorts). I have found a link to my nausea and pre-packaged milk based Protein drinks. I also found that yohurt 'drinks' give me heartburn too. So now I stick to home made Soups (simple is best..well liquified), eating yoghurt, low fat custard, egg flips, juices and Water, with the occassional cup of tea. By the way 200mls can take me up to half an hour to get down...slow is good, it's all got to heal.

My surgeon pointed out; that we swallow air each time we swallow. Even if your mindful not to gulp, air still goes down too. I found a product in Australia called "De-Gas". They are minisule and I found them easy to swallow. I also have my husband pat me on the back...yep...like a baby. Working from the bottom up. I've read through these forums and see that some people recommend walking and moving around.

My surgeon has assured me that once I start to eat solid food again it will ease.

I know it's depressing. Especially when you don't expect it. Everyone's recovery is different. I'm keeping in mind that this is a journey and I happened to hit the bumpy bit early LOL!!!

Good luck on your journey x

I had the same thing and it started on day two. My husband got me some sugar free peperments and that completely got rid of the nausea feeling. My Dr. said that my stomach was swollen and that was the reason for having problems with getting fluids in. I also got some of the thermo care heat wraps. I got the kind for your lower back because it came big enough to wrap around me so I could move it to where the pain in my shoulder moved. I got up and went out to my garage each day with my iphone tunes and raised the door so I could enjoy the sunshine and I just listen to my music and walk around in small circles. I am 6 days post op and feel like a million bucks. I have been logging about 30,000 steps on my pedomiter each day and it seems to be a lot easier to drink my fluids when I am standing up. The music also helps make my heart feel happy.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I am toughing it out and I am going to make myself better. I started out my morning feeling good, no gassy stomach. I am going to have some mint tea then a lactose free Protein Shake (Muscle milk). I'll drink those very slowly and it will probably take me until 12:00 noon to get them down. I'll walk around as much as possible. I am off the liquid pain killers and not dizzy or nauseus right now at 9:30 am. Maybe the medicine was too strong for me. I hope today is a better day. I am on day 4 and still not hungry, but I will be sure to get my Water and liquids in. Thanks for reaching out and giving me your support. I am not alone! Good luck to all of us on this journey.

Jaramipa I ws banded the same day and had extreme nauseaus until Sunday. What worked for me was just getting up and changing locations. I found I kept laying there in bed feeling miserable and needed to switch positions. I have not drank anything other than Clear Liquids and broth. I did have some Jello yesterday. I have also had that constant feeling I need to burp since yesterday...almost feels like a lump in your throat that comes and goes?? Good to know I am not alone on that one as it worried me a little. I hope you are feeling better today...I may try the mints someone suggested to settle my stomach as that worked when I was pregnant :) Hugs to you!! We will all get through this together!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I am toughing it out and I am going to make myself better. I started out my morning feeling good, no gassy stomach. I am going to have some mint tea then a lactose free Protein shake (Muscle milk). I'll drink those very slowly and it will probably take me until 12:00 noon to get them down. I'll walk around as much as possible. I am off the liquid pain killers and not dizzy or nauseus right now at 9:30 am. Maybe the medicine was too strong for me. I hope today is a better day. I am on day 4 and still not hungry, but I will be sure to get my Water and liquids in. Thanks for reaching out and giving me your support. I am not alone! Good luck to all of us on this journey.

I had the same problem after surgery with feeling like I needed to burp but nothing was happening...try walking (even if it is just around your house). The only times I seemed to be able to burp out the gas was while I was walking. Also, you stated that Muscle Milk is a lactose free Protein Shake - that is not the case. I have a milk lactose intolerance which became worse after surgery and my NUT told me to stop drinking Muscle Milk because it contains lactose (I was using the powder and mixing it with soy milk but the lactose was still causing problems). Once I changed to a lactose free Protein Shake (Isopure from GNC - not the fruity ones) I had less gas and bowel issues.

I had the same problem after surgery with feeling like I needed to burp but nothing was happening...try walking (even if it is just around your house). The only times I seemed to be able to burp out the gas was while I was walking. Also, you stated that Muscle Milk is a lactose free Protein shake - that is not the case. I have a milk lactose intolerance which became worse after surgery and my NUT told me to stop drinking Muscle Milk because it contains lactose (I was using the powder and mixing it with soy milk but the lactose was still causing problems). Once I changed to a lactose free Protein Shake (Isopure from GNC - not the fruity ones) I had less gas and bowel issues.

Good to know. I will check out Isopure

my doc sent me home with nausea medicine

call your doc and ask for something

or get OTC stuff

dont suffer any more than you have to

7 days out here

HI, I was banded 3 days ago, 2/25/11. When I feel like I need to burp, it won't come out. It stays in my stomach area and air moves around and it really hurts. Has anyone experienced this? Does it get better. i can only get a little bit of liquid in at a time, like 1/2 a cup. I've been drinking Water, broths, Jello, and Muscle Milk Protein drinks. I am also starting to get nauseous and dizzy at times, especially when I take the pain medicine. So I stopped taking the medicine after 12:00 noon today and now it is 10:35 p.m. I still salivate and run to the toilet to spit. So far I have not vomited but I feel nauseous. The nausea started to today. Please tell me it is going to get better. Also my shoulder hurts which I knew would happen. Does this get better too...when? I am not at all hungry.

my doc sent me home with nausea medicine

call your doc and ask for something

or get OTC stuff

dont suffer any more than you have to

7 days out here

Today I am feeling much better. I have not felt nauseated at all and I walked through a costco to buy some Premiere Protein shakes in vanilla. I am not taking any pain medicine and at my check up yesterday morning my doctor told me I could try some cream of chicken Soup. There was no way that was going to happen yesterday but at 3:00 today I thought I should feed myself so I tried the Cream of chicken Soup. I just had a half of can of it and it went down with no problems and I ate it slowly. So far today I have had a cup of mint tea, one can of lactose free muscle milk and some soup. In a couple of hours I will have some Jello and will be drinking more Water and tea for the rest of the day. I am thrilled that I am not miserable today...just sore from surgery.

I had surgery yesterday, February 28. My gas pains are pretty bad. I am using a heating pad and that seems to help a little. I find that if I lay down too long the gas pains get really bad in my chest. Walking and taking deep breathes is helping that. I was up about every 2 hours last night walking in my room to try and move the gas.

I am still on clear liquids, and trying hard to stay hydrated. I move to full liquids (protein shakes) tomorrow...WOOOHOOO!

I had surgery yesterday, February 28. My gas pains are pretty bad. I am using a heating pad and that seems to help a little. I find that if I lay down too long the gas pains get really bad in my chest. Walking and taking deep breathes is helping that. I was up about every 2 hours last night walking in my room to try and move the gas.

I am still on clear liquids, and trying hard to stay hydrated. I move to full liquids (protein shakes) tomorrow...WOOOHOOO!

Walking is so important. Walk, Walk, Walk. It gives me relief too, especially after I have any liquids. Good luck to you and can't wait until we are both feeling well enough to walk a few miles and see more pounds disappear.

I was banded 6 days ago (may 20, 2011) and I am having intense pain in my back from not being able to burp. It hurts really bad when I sneeze, yawn, or hiccup. The pain in my shoulder went away a day or 2 ago. I've heard that is normal is lap band patients, from the excess gas. I just can't wait for the day that I am able to burp again!! lol Never knew I would miss it so much. :( I've gotten a little nauseated a few times, but I was given nausea medicine from my doctor that really helps. Any time I took my pain medicine, I had to take the nausea medicine with it. I stopped taking the pain meds on day 4 though.

I will get better! Right now it seems like it'll go on forever, but it won't. I was in the exact same boat...but I'm totally fine now. Just keep walking - no matter how hard that may seem. Once I started taking walks outside, I noticed that I was burping more, which made my stomach feel better and less bloated. I had lots of nausea after surgery - it just happens. SO painful - and my whole family was there was watch me be sick... But it goes away. 8 days post-op and I'm almost perfectly normal again. However, sometimes when I burp, it still stays in my stomach and moves around...and yes, that's painful. But it definitely is much, much, much better now than before. So again, it gets better! Hang in there!

On 3/1/2011 at 6:09 PM, Saraboo said:

It will get better! I would say you probably have at least a week of that needing to burp feeling. It does suck big time. The shoulder pain does go away too; probably will before the urge to burp does. The nausea-well, everyone is different, I wasn't really nauseus at all during that time. Just make sure you get your liquids in. Staying hydrated is a very big part in healing properly, and I've found that I can eat better when I drink more Water. Congratulations on taking the steps to changing your life!

I'm sorry but I am still having this after a year and a half since my RY and I cannot burp unless I stick my finger down my throat. It's horrible, I keep having this loud bubbly air noise move about in my chest and there's nothing much I can do except live with it the doctors say. Before I call someone I need to release the air that way using my finger otherwise I feel like I'm almost choking. Horrible condition Gerd.