Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why don't I feel like it's enough?

I was banded Jan. 10th. The first 2 weeks after surgery I lost 23 pounds. That was a thrill. I was of course on a liquid diet for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. I have now moved on to the next phase with more solid foods. I had my second post surgery appt. on Feb.14th. I was kind of nervous because I only lost 7 pounds and my surgeon had wanted me to have the bypass because he said I'd lose weight faster. I guess I thought he'd be disappointed in my progress. Well he was thrilled with the amount I lost and didn't decide to do a fill because I was doing so good.. On one level I know 7 lbs in 2 weeks is good but on another level there's a part of me that feels it's not enough and I need to somehow prove I chose wisely as far as surgery goes. Any idea how to get these weird thoughts out of my head so I can relax and not obsess on how I should be losing faster. :unsure:

After trying everything I can think of to lose faster, I've finally made peace with the fact that I'm only losing 1 lb. per week. I don't know what to tell you other than to track what you eat in something like fitday.com so you have a realistic (and not just vague) idea of what you've eaten. It helps when you're in a stall or losing only 1 lb per week (like I do) to be able to go back and see 'why'. You might find you're eating more calories than you should...or more carbs than you should. With that track record you have the ability to 'tweak' your calories and carbs to see if you can get the weight loss moving again or faster. Over time you'll realize that you're doing it all correctly and your body is just going to lose as fast or slow as it wants to and you're just along for the ride. That's my experience.

7 pounds in 2 weeks is more than good, it's fantastic! Be careful of being discouraged, you don't want to put yourself in a mind set where you will get frustrated and kind of give up. You are doing great. Be aware that the rate of weightloss will slow down. Bandsters are expected to loose 1-2 pounds a week. If your not excersising, start. It works wonders for weight loss. Good luck!

It really helped me to accept the fact that this is a very long road/journey. You have really just started that long walk down the road.

2 pounds a week adds up to 104 pounds in 1 year. That should be great weightloss in anyone's book.

Sometimes when people lose weight at a very fast pace (like you mentioned with bypass) they tend to lose a great amount of hair. I lost quite a bit with the band and would have been very upset if I had lost more. Sometimes if the loss is too rapid people look very sickly, and it is because they are malnurished.

So far you have done great and you need to give yourself credit and continue on this long journey with positive thoughts about your choice. Just think, one year from now you will be posting how you have dropped 100+ pounds! I don't even think it will take a year for you to be posting that.

Also very rapid weight loss can cause gallbladder issues. I know, I had it happen to me.

I log my food intake at livestrong.com/thedailyplate. For a while I had mine set to let me lose 4lbs a week, but then again I was SMO (super morbidly obese). That's probably part of what lead to my GB issues, that and eating two pork ribs.. LOL.

If you haven't started exercising, I'd highly recommend it. It doesnt have to be a gym class.. exercise can be just moving MORE than you used to. I started out by walking my dogs, hanging out clothes on the line, parking further from the store and taking the buggy back when empty.. Just increase. Go to the gym when you're ready. It took me 7 months.

BTW: My surgeon and husband both wanted me to have RNY (bypass). I said no. I've proved them both wrong that I wouldn't do very well with the band. :D

Losing fast is thrilling of course, but it's not realistic. I've decided as long as I'm not gaining, then I'm happy! :D

Thanks guys. I know most of the problem is where my mind is and this weird issue I have about needing to prove to my surgeon that he was wrong about the band not working as well for me as he thought the bypass would. I have a friend who has the same surgeon and she had the bypass in Dec. and hasn't lost as much as I have. We both do Water aerobics at the Y. I do 2 classes a day 5 days a week and she usually does 2 or 3 days a week. After the way my Dr. was talking up the bypass I kind of expected her to be doing better than I was and I was surprised when I found out she wasn't. I know on an intellectual level that 3 1/2 lbs a week is good I just have to figure a way to beat my mind into shape and just quit obsessing about it. Sometimes it's easier said than done. :unsure:

I am with you! pre lap band i was always obsessing about what I should or should not eat..although i'm not doing great with losing at least i am not gaining!! whoo hoo hopefully i won't jinx myself now. Hang in there everyone..it's a journey..the band is in nothing you can do now but keep on keeping on LOL corny I know! (i guess you could also have the band removed...)

Losing fast is thrilling of course, but it's not realistic. I've decided as long as I'm not gaining, then I'm happy! :D

I agree with all of the above comments. The most important thing is that we are making changes-doing thing differently than before. If we make better food choices, cut down on portions and start to move more, it WILL improve our health! I think that if I didn't do this the scare would be eventually creeping up as it always has, or yo-yoing like it has all my life. 1-2 pounds per week is a healthy weight loss and WOW to think of 102 pound in a year is like getting rid of a 7th grader attached to us!! Best of luck to everyone on this shared journey. Keep up the good work! Smiles.....