Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I am considering having the Lap Band surgery and have diabetes. Did anyone have diabetes before having the Lap Band surgery? If so, did it go away? My doctor asked if I ever considered gastric bypass and I told him it was too invasive but I had considered the Lap Band. He said diabetes pretty much goes away instantly with gastric bypass, not the Lap Band. I would love to hear from you guys!

Jennifer

Hi Everyone!

I am considering having the Lap Band surgery and have diabetes. Did anyone have diabetes before having the Lap Band surgery? If so, did it go away? My doctor asked if I ever considered gastric bypass and I told him it was too invasive but I had considered the Lap Band. He said diabetes pretty much goes away instantly with gastric bypass, not the Lap Band. I would love to hear from you guys!

Jennifer

First, diabetes never goes away. You will never be able to eat the way a person without diabetes eats without it affecting your blood sugar levels. You can, however, control it with diet instead of medicine.

Bypass has its own set of problems. Some people do really well. Others have major medical problems and diminished quality of life as a result of the bypass surgery...and you never know which you'll be until it's too late. I also belong to a couple lists where the predominant surgery was bypass and it's a bit horrifying to see how many people are back on their diabetic meds *and* gaining weight. Yes the drastic, immediate loss of weight from surgery had them off insulin...but their bad eating habits which they never fix puts them right back on.

I am a diabetic and have been taking insulin in the morning and with each meal...up until a week or so ago. Now I'm diet controlled. How quickly you're off your diabetic meds and diet controlled is mostly up to you. I eat roughly 30gm of carbs per day. My meals are Protein and low carb vegies for lunch and same for dinner but with the addition of 1/4 cup of starch (rice, potatoes or beans). If I had been doing that 'consistently' since my surgery a year ago, I would have been off meds in a couple months, but I'm apparently a slow learner.

Don't let your doctor push you into a bypass. You may immediately lower your blood sugar levels, but that doesn't mean they'll stay there...particularly if you look at it as a quick fix.

What ElfiePoo ^ said.

If you pay attention to your post-surgery diet, you may end up dropping your diabetes meds. I was diagnosed Type 2 a couple of years ago and put on Metformin and Amaryl. As I dieted during the ramp up for my banding, I was taken off Amaryl due to good blood numbers, then my Metformin dose was cut in half post-surgery, and as of last week I am now off all diabetes and blood pressure meds.

Banding is not a magic bullet - you still have to eat right, but the band gave me the edge I needed to get the ball rolling.

About 6 months after surgery I was taken off all my weight related meds. I have diebeties, high blood pressure and high cholesteral. It was so exciting! I disagree with your doctor that lapband patients don't get off there meds. However, maybe it doesn't happen as fast. Plan to excersise, it helps these conditions and will help you get off your meds sooner. Good luck!

My story may fly in the face of what some have experienced, but it's my story and it's true. In January 2008 I was sent to the emergency room (from my docs office) with a BG of 917, I weighed 307 lbs at that time. I was released from the hospital 4 days later -- BG in the normal range. I lost 23 lbs in a month or so. Inside of 3 weeks I was off insulin but taking 1000 mg of Metformin 2x a day. Eventually I could "feel" when my BG was up. I didn't have to watch my food closely because my BG was more often too low than too high. Sixteen months later I had lapband surgery, and three months after that I was off all diabetes meds. While it is true that you never stop being a diabetic, my personal journey with diabetes is that I live my life, for the most part, the same as a person without diabetes. I don't watch my carbs (don't have to, with the band I can't eat most of them -- bread, Pasta, etc.). The difference between me and a person without diabetes is that I check my BG every now and then just to be sure I am not dreaming. And, every time I check it, my numbers are great -- usually between 86 and 100. Okay, to be PERFECTLY HONEST, I have had a problem once or twice ... when I haven't eaten all day (due to a busy schedule), I start to feel listless; I checked my BG and found that I was dropping below 70. So, for me, I have to worry about my BG being too low more than too high. Yes, I know, low BG is not good either, but in 18 months I have had a low BG reading only twice. I realize my story is atypical ... the doctor described me as having "atypical" type 2 diabetes. But for the most part my lapband eating plan keeps my blood sugar normal without any extra thought or planning for diabetes. But that's just me.

I, like many others here, have had great success getting off diabetes meds after lapband. There are a ton of articles touting how lapband can send diabetes into remission. Gastric bypass is not the only WLS that accomplishes this.

Good luck to you.

~Fran

Elfie are you a type I or type II diabetic?? My mom is just starting this process and she is type I...her primary is pushing her to do gastric with a different surgeon than I used. My surgeon is pushing her to have the band. I am trying to get the most information.

Elfie are you a type I or type II diabetic?? My mom is just starting this process and she is type I...her primary is pushing her to do gastric with a different surgeon than I used. My surgeon is pushing her to have the band. I am trying to get the most information.

I'm a Type II. Her doctor is telling her that she can reverse her Type I diabetes with a gastric?! That just doesn't make sense since Type I (if I understand correctly) is a diabetic whose body is not producing insulin. Having a bypass will not change that. Also, depending on her healing ability (a problem with many diabetics), something as invasive as a bypass may set up a whole series of recovery problems.

Just something to think about but many bypass patients are undergoing additional surgery to get the band because even though they're limited on what they can eat, their hunger doesn't go away because their stomach is still producing excess amounts of ghrelin. If you go back and read a few of my posts, I'm always explaining what this is and why the band seems to be the most effective surgical method long-term. Even many vertical sleeve patients are starting to get the band (for the same reason).

Thank you Elfie!! My mom met with a surgeon today that 80% of his patients are diabetics!! She is really sold on the band. I am so happy for her. I didn't mention to her what you said in your message until after the meeting. I totally agree with you on the healing. Thank you so so much!!