Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy tuck scars... Forever?

I am rapidly loosing weight now that I have had the surgery. After I loose all the weight and maintain it for a year ( insurance requirement ) I am considering a Tummy Tuck. Now, the idea is that I want to wear a bikiny on the beach or feel sexy without my clothes on.

I have two friends who have had tummy tucks - one complained that her surgeon butchered her giving her a scar that ges all the way around behind her love handles and she is very unhappy with it. She has it years ago but when she showed it to me it was rather unatracctive.

My second friend is very satisfied with her tummy tuck. But when she showed it to me it looks no different from my other friend without the scar going all the way to her back. I looks hideous...

Is that normal? Am I asking too much to have my scars fade away with time?

Do you guys have any pictures of your healed up scares that you can attach?

I would love to have a flat tummy but with a huge scar across my lower belly it sort of defeats the purpose.

I know it all depends on the surgeon and I will ask those questions in a year - for now I just want to see what is there to expect.

Thanks for reading this post. I really appreciate any input.

I kind of feel the same. My belly is pretty darn good but with a Tummy Tuck, I would have one of those perfect model stomachs, I'm just that shape.

But the scar defeats the purpose. Yes, you can cover the scar with a bikini bottom or underwear - if it were the 1980's when we all wore those high cut ones that come up to your navel. With today's low rise clothing, the scar would show. I dont want to exchange a bit of skin for a huge scar.

I have to admit a tummy scar is something that freaked me out as well. My doc didnt want me to get a tt because he knew I didn't like scars.

However he then decided he was going to give me a little mini Tummy Tuck that wouldn't be as extreme as a full tummy tuck and my scar is super low there is no way anyone would see it unless I showed it to them.

You can meet with a surgeon and discuss these things with them.

If you want to see photos of my scar its on my blog. It is not a normal tummy tuck mind you.

I think it depends what you are looking for out of your TT.

I had an Inverted T in August - Right now it is a red line - But the Brachioplasty scars from my last April Op are starting to look real good - And becoming practically invisible (More on one end than the other at this time)

I am far far happier with the scar - Than I ever was with all that skin!

Lellow has also had a big scar and she covered it with an amazing and beautiful tattoo....

So I guess it depends what you want - skin or scar?

Good luck to you :-)

And that's simply personal decision and depends on how much skin you have.

Age is a factor too I guess. I mean, for me, at 43, I look great dressed and I always have the option not to wear a bikini - problem solved, nobody would EVER see my stomach. I wouldnt feel that way if I'd lost all this weight when I was like, 28.

I am 42 - And I have to say I have NEVER in my life had a figure like this one I now have - I could wear a bikini (or one of those tankini things that have a line of material down the middle) If I wanted to - Though I need my thighs done first LOL

I love this new me!

But yes - It depends how much skin you have.

I am 14 weeks post op today.

s217727405.jpg

I had a full body lift and got a tattoo like SueHam mentioned. No one looks at my scars much anymore lol.

I had loads of loose skin. Even without the tattoo, the scar was preferable. And I'm Asian so they were quite dark and noticeable. I am about 18 months post body lift surgery and about 3 weeks post breast augmentation.

Here's a pic of my belly taken two days ago...

42811-albums2727-picture42324.jpg

lellow - where is the picture? I can't see it.

Tattoo is a great idea... Breast augmentation too. I am 42DDD and when I loose all the weight they will probably be down to my waist - I should look into that too. I would love to have nice medium sculpted chest.

lellow - where is the picture? I can't see it.

Tattoo is a great idea... Breast augmentation too. I am 42DDD and when I loose all the weight they will probably be down to my waist - I should look into that too. I would love to have nice medium sculpted chest.

Ok, I had to wait til the server migration was complete before I gave posting the pic anther go. Let me know if you still can't see it!

gallery_42811_2727_9118.jpg

oh, it's beautiful! What a great idea...

Thanks :) I'm really pleased with how it's all turned out. My body lift surgeon, my BA surgeon and my tattooist are all geniuses in their own rights!

Wow!

Lellow - How much did your tattoo cost and how many times did you hafta go there to get that work of art done? (You are now a walking work of art)

Having my panniculectomy in 8 and a half days and a not worried about scarring nor the fact that I will no longer have a belly button.

It's good to be a guy!

The tattoo cost me just over $1500 (it goes alll the way around body and up my lower back) and it took 12 hours and 4 sessions to complete. The lilies alone took nearly 5 hours and are very detailed. I needed time between sessions for the work to heal too so all in all it took about 3 months from start to finish. But it's finished now finally! :)