Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure what I am doing wrong!

The scale is not moving and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I was ok, not thrilled, but ok being a slow loser of 1 pound per week, but now I am not even getting that.

A little background. Got a fill in June, it ended up being too tight, suffered for 3 weeks struggling to get down Water and not able to eat solids.

Got a little taken out, went back in three weeks with no wieght loss. Dr. thought I needed more out, took the full amount of the fill out plus an extra .25 cc.

Went on vacation, followed the plan and had a few ice creams--heck it was disney for 2 weeks--I lost 4 pounds with all the extra walking, plus using the gym like I do at home.

Been home 2 weeks, I have no restriction, I can gulp a full bottle of water all at once, and am eating from a regular sized dinner plate--before I was using a saucer. I ahve lost no weight.

I am concerned because 1. I am not losing weight, 2. I have no restriction (could I be hurting the band?) and 3. I want to be successful.

Appointment on 9-1, I will be asking for a fill, but how do I know where to go? Back to where I was before the last fill for sure...that would be back to 5cc in a 10 cc band. At that point I was a little restricted but felt like I was still able to eat too much, able to gulp liquid, etc. I'm thinking about asking for .4, enough to take me to where I was (5cc) plus the little bit (.15) I needed when they gave me the .5 that was too much? To clarify 5cc was too little, 5.5 was too much, and 5.25 was too much.

I thought if I got it right it would be smooth sailing into the holidays, if not the risk of overeating is higher.

Since June 12th I have only lost 4 pounds.

Let the doctor figure out the amount of the fill--that's his role, not yours.

Your role is to eat appropriately---even if you don't have adequate restriction. Just because you can eat doesn't mean you should. Make wise food choices that are consistent with weight loss, and you will lose weight.

Thankfully, you'll see the doctor soon. That will help. But in the meantime, you can make wise choices.

(I am not sure that the ability to drink Fluid easily and quickly is a great gauge of restriction. Only when I've been quite swollen after a fill have I been unable to drink pretty freely. I have good restriction now, and though I have to pause momentarily after every 4-5 ounces, it's just momentary; the Fluid moves through freely.)

I totally understand your frustration. You don't say what your eating, is it low carb/low fat? Are you working out? If not, I highly reccomend it. It has made all the difference for me.

I wouldn't worry about how much fill to get. Talk with your doc. about exactly how things are going and he/she should know what to do. I don't think your hurting your band. I think it's pretty hard to stretch the pouch- it has a lot of give to it. Plus what your eating is probably going right into your big stomach since you have no restriction. Hang in there, it does get lots better. Restriction will happen.

same here after surgery in may until my second fill I've only lost 2 pounds and pre surgery I lost 13 . My first fill 2.5 cc I felt a little bit me restriction the first sIx days after that it was almost back to normal 6 weeks later I got 2.0 cc more but now I feel really restricted food comes up I felt like I was choking so I tried to drink Water and I felt like it made the food float because I Trew It up.... but I don't wanna go and get some taking out because I'm afraid I'll over eat like before, I'll wait and See maybe it's just swolen

Edited by wishingtorun

Oh, I am watching what I am eating, I have about 2 ounces of good protien--fish, chicken, pork, beef for dinner with a salad--which is now like a full cup of lettuce rather than a 1/2 cup. Cooked veggies round it out as well as fruit if I am still hungry.

Breakfast is a protien shake to keep the grams up, but occasionally it is a scrambled egg.

lunch is half a sandwich, and a cup of Soup, or salad with meat and cheese.

I am low carb pretty much south beach phase 1 and sometimes phase 2.

Snacks if I am hungry are things like greek yogurt, string cheese, hummus, whole wheat crackers or pita.

Exercise is 3 x per week at the gym--35 minutes of cardio followed by strength training for an additonal 25 or so minutes. Usually I walk for an hour one or two more times per week.

have you thought about upping your protien to more then what you are eatting now? when i get hungry my dr tells me to eat more protien and if i am hungry in between meals eat some fruit or drink Water. i wouldn't worry about home much is in the band because your dr will know that part of it. i'd go back to eatting off on a saucer. just because you can eat that much doesn't mean that you should.

My salads have gotten quite big moving them from saucer to dinner plate, so I made that switch with dinner tonight. I will add the shake as well, since I am willing to try anything to get this going again. I almost started the liver reduction diet today thinking that might help to get me back on track and certainly give me all the Protein I need!

If I could just get the scale to move in the right direction again before I go to the dr. I would feel better.

Hi Patsel,

the thing that helped me when i stalled in weight loss was to keep track of what i was eating....every morsel. i have a habit of minimizing "tastes and licks" of food.

i used the website Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople but any of them are good (ie. FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal www.netdiary.com, etc) it will help you to focus on the calories.

also what the previous posters said...it is key to get Protein in. my guage for that was when my hair would fall out. my Protein wasnt enough.

i still do Protein shakes in the morning as it insures i get enough in.

good luck and keep on keepin'on!

josie

What would I ever do without you guys to guide me in the right direction?

After journaling for yesterday and today I noticed the protien grams were way low...Like 30- 40 when they should be 80-90. Makes all kinds of sense now.

While I was on vacation I was using 2 shakes per day to supplement what I was certain was way too few grams of protien. I had weight loss while on vacation.

Once I returned home, I slacked with the protien shakes because I was able to eat more, but 2 ounces of protien like chicken after cooking is around 14 grams of protien. So I was getting 40-48 grams per day with shake for Breakfast, chicken for lunch and tuna for dinner, etc.

This also explains my extreme fatigue, really sore muscles after working out, lack of weight loss, and hair loss.

a woman need 3 oz of a good Protein men 4oz at each meal then veg then fruit and if still hungry 1/2 cup starch

you may not be loseing lbs but your loseing inches .weight your self 1 a week measure inches once a month keeping a record keep up the good work scott

i dont think you're doing anything wrong, everyone has gone through a stall....it is a difficult stage, but you need to be patient. plus talk to your doctor....and keep eating right and doing exercise. that's the secret to success. goodluck:thumbup:

I know the feeling I was there too. I stopped watching the scale and focused on working out. Although at some point I was not losing lbs I was losing inches. Hang in there, it will get better. I agree with the other post though, definately up your Protein. It is hard to stay focused, but hang in there! Good Luck, there are lots of people rooting for you!

Monica