Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you satisfied with "Average" weight loss???

If you lost no more than 50% - 60% of excess body weight would you achieve your goal?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If you lost no more than 50% - 60% of excess body weight would you achieve your goal?

• Yes, I would be satisfied.
    • No, I expect to lose more than that.
    • I'm not certain at this point.

Various studies have determined that a patient will lose on average between 50% - 60% of their excess body weight. Is this finding consistant with YOUR personal goals?

No way! I always knew what I wanted from it, but I learned early on to keep it to myself as various people (health professionals included) would protest that it was unattainable, unmaintainable, not necessary.

What exactly, may I ask is unattainable about aiming for a weight within the healthy range for my height? It baffles me.

It wasnt like I wanted to weigh 100lb at 5ft 10.

I remember my girlfriend of similar height to me saying "but I'm 80kg (180lb or so) and I'm the same height as you". I love her dearly, but I was privately thinking "yeah, and you're a bit fat!". I didnt say it of course, but to me, if you can pinch a roll on your middle (deflated weight loss tummies excepted of course), you've got a fair bit of weight to lose.

Edited by Jachut

Nope, I'll be losing MUCH more. Thanks for your help, btw. :biggrin:

my doctor told me I could/will lose my excess 100 lbs (100% excess weight loss) but its all determined on how much I wanted it! and man, do I want it! haha so my doc has his own rules and doesn't usually follow the norm....

I think we'll all come to a point that we'll need to tweak what it is we're doing.

However, I have every intention of losing every last pound!

Working out is essential - lapband alone won't achieve your goals. Plus, I don't want to be in excess skin hell when I'm finished. So, I'm working out NOW, pushing myself NOW.

In the six months since banding, I have lost just about 65% of the excess weight, according to my doctor's goal. (My personal goal is about 15 pounds lower than his goal.)

My weight has just (as in, as of this morning) left "obese" and entered "overweight" territory.

While I feel light-years better than I did six months ago, I am nowhere near done. I have almost 28 pounds before I hit "normal" weight--and intend to go lower than that.

I have absolutely no reason to think that I will have any trouble achieving it; my loss has been steady, my eating and exercise are consistent with continuing to lose---and I fully expect to get 100% of the weight off, and then some :biggrin:

Various studies have determined that a patient will lose on average between 50% - 60% of their excess body weight. Is this finding consistant with YOUR personal goals?

I am sort of a rebel - I wanted to provide those statistics wrong - I lost 100% of my excess weight w/the band

I think those statistic really go to our mental stick to itness as obese pple.. It's just like druggies going thru rehab - what's the success rate - It's the addiction issue that we are battleing here..

Just like w/any addiction a person needs the tools to get and stay sober - a good support system (NA/AA/LBT) the desire to be sober (eat healthy and exercise).

It's work - just like any addiction - you have to work every single day to stay clean. If you fall off the wagon - you pull up the bootstraps and get right back on..

IMHO it's up to the individual on how much they lose - The sky's the limit - you are only limited by your own mind - if you think you can't you won't - if you think you can you will

Congratulations BetsyB on hitting the milestone of "overweight"...that is one of the goals that is big in my head...right after "obese" for me. Dare to dream... :)

3 days til surgery...

I was told I could expect to loose 60% of my weight- which is 60 pounds. Apparently there are studies that show the average weight loss after two years is 60%. After 8 months I have lost 88.5 pounds. My goal is at least another 12- for a total of 100. I may go about another 10 beyond that.

I fully expected to lose most of the weight with the band...so more than 50-60% for sure. I'm quite happy with the results and have almost hit goal. I feel like that % is what is realistic for all who get the band - like an average. Let's face it, some who get the band think they don't have to change their eating habits or increase physical activity to lose and want the band to do it for them. Very very few of them will ever get close to goal that way. For those that choose to eat healthier and exercise as it becomes easier and make it a lifestyle, I believe it is realistic to get to a reasonable goal.

I was banded on May 4th of this year. I have lost about 40lbs and I am THRILLED with the results so far. My goal is to loose about 100lbs and I am almost half way there. Even if I can only loose 70 of those 100lbs I would be completely happy. Its a heck of alot better than what I was. That doesnt mean that I am going to stop at the 70lbs though. NO WAY! I am going to keep on going if I can!

I want better than average too. working on it ... I will acheive!.... I find my mental self gets more in the way than anything else. It is definately a journey. I don't have that much saline in my band, enough to where when I am stressed it is tighter so I can not indulge in the stress times... which is where I really need it. I am trying so hard to use my head the majority of the time.

My goal is 114 from where I started. That would put me in mid-normal range and since I really do have cow bones it would be pretty thin for me. But if I get 3/4 of my weight lost and am comfortable with that, or am uncomfortable with obsessing about dieting and making myself and my family nuts about the whole process, I would consider revising the goal and maintaining that loss. I think the "average" must include a lot of people who give up on the band and learn to eat mushie or high calorie foods and then do not lose anywhere near what they need to lose. I know at least one person who still eats candy, sweets, fried foods...and so hasn't lost much at all.

I think several factors play a role. Motivation and compliance are essential. I for one want to lose all the weight and I don't see any reason why I couldn't. I'm not at optimal restriction and losing about 1lb a week and exercising and I feel great. For the first time ever... I feel like I can do it!

I am at 40% of my weight loss now: Heck no I am not satisfied with average! I am working myself out of a rut right now, but I fully intend to pull myself up and lose the rest of this: walked 2 miles tonight again: ate pretty good. I am going to achieve as close to 100% as I can.

BTW: betsy you are a true inspiration to me: You go!