Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:blush: Hello. My name is Maria & I'm from Chicago. I've been struggling with my weight loss since I can remember. I've tried everything from Herbal Life, Alli, Xenadrine, Zantrex to Weight Watchers.... and NOTHING! It's been a heck of a journey!

I would have never considered the LAP-BAND®®® until my best friend brought it to my attention (she's also overweight). So we went to the info session but it didn't convince me. So I started researching and came across this site. I've learned so much from so many different posts & discovered many good & bad things about the surgery. But I must say, the good definitely outweighs the bad! I especially love looking at everyones before & after... You all look amazing!!!

I will admit that it terrifies me to go into surgery (traumatized from a c-section) but thankfully I have an amazing husband :tt2: who supports me. Unlike my parents who are against the idea. :scared2: They don't understand where I'm coming from (they've been skinny all their lives) & how this will benefit me the rest of my life. My cousin even said that I'm taking the easy way out. That instead of doing this I should really work hard by exercising and eating right for a year and if it doesn't work then consider the surgery... :lol: REALLY?!?!? So your telling me the 15+ years that I have been trying don't count, right? Girl, Please.

Im so done listening to what everybody else has to say about my life. This is my choice. I want to be happy... and I will be. :)

Edited by maria_r

You can tell your friends that having surgery is not the easy way out!! It really makes my surgeon mad when people think like that.....You let them know, that this is a life change. In order for you to be a success you need to follow your surgeon's program. Please do not think this is easy!! I am 3 weeks post op and had my doubts after day 2, but it all gets better. Right now I am having some leaking problems in my port incision....just when I was feeling sooooo good!!

Good luck to you in whatever you decide....and keep looking at the pics, they were a constant inspiration for me!!!

Thanks Danielle.

I think I'm done telling people. I really thought my family would support me, oh well. As far as the life changing goes... Im soo ready!!!

How was the pain after surgery? Were you really sore? And what about that leak... are they gonna have to do another surgery to fix it?

Maria,

I was pretty sore for about 10 days or so after surgery, with each day getting a little bit better. I lost 18# the first week, doctor had me on Clear Liquids for 10 days!! After seeing that # on scale, I knew I did the right thing. I work for a school district, so I have summers off. So I was not concerned too much about the healing time. And "no" I will not have to have surgery for this leak....it is from my incision, not band....its like a pinhole leak! Anyways.....need to call the surgeon! Take Care of yourself!!!:ohmy:

HI Maria, First off I understand where your coming from about the family not supporting you. Most my family is overweight and they still never supported me. Just do your research and make your own choices. It has been the best choice I have ever made. Everyday life is so much more enjoyable being in better shape (my opinion). But know that this is NOT a full proof plan! you must make that life style change ie eating right & exercise. I have a hard time still controlling my eating habits every gosh dang day! But the band has/is the a damn good tool and will work for you if you let it.

I don't think anyone has told me "I took the easy way out" since I had the operation. I don't know how I would deal with that right now. I have lost a great deal of weight and have been able to keep it off and let me tell you there is nothing easy about it!!!!!!!!! I exercise and eat healthy day in and day out. some people just don't understand. To be honest people like that I choose not to be around. All I think they do is stand in the way of reaching your goals and being you/me down.

Anyhow just take it from me, This is only a tool and it still requires a whole lot of hard work and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

My surgery is August 27. I am terrified, nervous and excited at the same time. A part of me has doubts but I realize that its for the best. I am starting to have other health issues because of the weight. I was just diagnosed with diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I also have PCOS which I have had since I was 18.

My family is being extremely supportive. They are encouraging me to have the surgery.

@Danbo: This topic actually came up during an argument I was having with my mother last night :scared2: Her words were so hurtful that I couldn't take it anymore, I just got up and left. At this point I just wish I've never told her, but it's too late for that :seeya: Today is a new day and I'm just going to brush it off and keep my eye on the prize :thumbup:

@eyd: Im glad your family is supporting your decision. Thats awesome :thumbup:. I wish I could say the same, but its ok. I have my wonderful hubby and my son by my side in this journey, thats all I need :thumbup: So August 27th huh?!?!? Wow!!! I bet you cant wait. I haven't found out my date yet... my first appointment is tomorrow :) After all the research I've done, I'm pretty confident with my decision and I know its going to be the best one I've ever made. :angry:

Hi everyone,

First post!!

I am still in the very early stages and I am also terrified. I went to an info session with my mom and sister on Tuesday. By, Wednesday noon, I had scheduled an appointment with my PCP, a visit with the shrink, and a consultation with the surgeon and her nutritionist.

I am nervous, but so excited. I know this is the right thing for me and luckily I have my family's support. But, even if I didn't I HAVE to do this.

I am not scared of the hard work. I have done the hard work. What I am scared of is doing the work and then ending up right where I started in 18 months.

I can't wait until July 28th when I meet the surgeon and really get started. although, if I don't stay off of LAP-BAND® blogs during work hours, I will get fired and lose my insurance and not be able to get the surgery anyway!!!!

I think I can understand what you mean about the family situation, Maria. My sister had lapband done in February and it caused a huge issue in my family for some dumb reason. My parents and my other sister and my brother (who all have never been heavy a day in their lives) were totally against it. My sister had to tell them flat out that she wasn't asking for their permission for her to be healthy and I have never respected my sister more. Now that I am at the beginning stages of my lapband journey, I think it is sad to see that it still upsets them a little. Like my sister said, I am not asking for anybodies permission (well except my insurance company lol).