Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day post op banding

Made it! Am sore and stiff today, but holding a pillow to tummy when walking and sitting straight up really helps. Am doing well with fluids and Protein (thanks to Protein shakes and Protein soup).

Dr. said would feel some restriction right away, but I don't really notice anything different yet, but the swelling is just starting and feels like a chest tightness or "stuck" feeling if I take too big a swallow. First fill will be in 4 weeks...then I'll know what it's really all about.

Glad to be a part of this group and anxious for the restriction to become a part of my everyday life. Walking and sipping all day and resting in between right now.

Carol:thumbup:

Congratulations Carol!

I actually am nervously awaiting my surgery scheduled at 7:30 AM tomorrow (4/21) morning. Sounds like you are doing really well! I would love to stay in contact with you as I believe we could help each other out!

I hope all continues to go well for you--I will write again soon!

Margaret

Congratulations to both of you!! I know the day after my surgery was the worst!! But it gets better significantly every day after!! You will probably not notice too much of a difference on straight liquids. When I started adding thicker Soups, but still all liquid is when I first started noticing restriction. I sipped Water all day and made sure to get my calories and Protein in. It was really hard to get enough in, but I am making it. Tomorrow I get to start mushies!! It will be your turn soon, and I am sure we will feel a little restriction. But remember it is only temporary until we get a few fills in!!

Hi Ladies,

I was banded on 4-15-10 and am on liquids. I am able to drink at least 4-5 oz slowly at a time. I have yet to feel restricted. I had my sugery in Mexico, because I am a self pay. So, I am not sure that the post op instructions are the best. It says that I am to be on Clear Liquids for the first two weeks and weeks 3-4 move to pureed foods. Then moving to soft foods for weeks 5 and on. Does this sound correct? I have researched some online and have noticed that some people start mushies after day 5. ??????help, I am not sure what to do. Right now, I am sticking with the liquids.

Congrats to everyone!:smile:

help, I am not sure what to do. Right now, I am sticking with the liquids.

You should follow the instructions that your Dr. gave you not someone elses.

And congrats lilhoot!! :smile:

Edited by reverie

Day 2 is wonderfully better...sore but not as painful and gas is going away. I found that I only need 2 of my Protein Shakes from costco (at 30gms Protein each and 11 oz each) to meet my protein requirements and I also used WonderSlim Tomato Soup and hot chocolate (each with 15gm protein and 6-8 oz fluid) and that makes it easy to meet the requirements. Am on "slip & slide" for a week with cream of wheat, yogurt, applesauce, puddings etc and then can go on whatever is tolerated...will keep up with shakes and Soups while trying other foods...no portion restriction feeling but it may come or I may have to wait for first fill in 4 weeks. Thanks for all the support. Carol:thumbup:

It sounds like you're doing very well Carol. Congratulations on taking the big leap to good health.

To susujohnson - sunnsuds is right, you need to follow your doctor's orders. All are different. Good luck.

Thanks for your help Ladies. I have been sticking to my Dr.'s post op diet of Clear Liquids. I am not feeling any restrictions either, but I am sure that will change when I start on mushies and solids. I a little scared, but yet excited also.

Keep me posted on your progress.

I was banded on 4/19 and on day 2 I was supposed to start pureed food. There was no way this could happen. I was in such pain and so nauseous, I could only sip Water. I then found I could eat a sugar free ice pop. That went down well. I also then searched other people's post-op instructions, on this website, and saw that a lot were instructed to follow clear liquids for 2 wks, full liquids for 2 wks, and THEN pureed foods for 2 wks. Ultimately followed by real food. Needless to say, clear liquids are working for me. The Protein Shakes are going down okay, too. Good luck to you!

Hi Carol,

I am on my postop day #5. I still have intermittent left shoulder/side pain but all and all, I feel pretty good. I am to start on soft foods tomorrow so I am anxious for this! I am not feeling any restrictions whatsoever from liquds, Soups, etc. Maybe after the first fill??

Glad you are doing well-hang in there!

Hi all,

Today is day post-op day 6 (one week ago was banded), and today is the first day I really feel better...no more shoulder pain and still needing narcotic every 12 hours or so....feeling "full" and uncomfortable most of the time, trying to get all the liquids and Protein in is most difficult. I thought I would be feeling better by now than what I am, but at 63...not as quick a recovery as when younger.... hope to return to work next Monday...we'll see. I can be on soft regular foods now (eggs, cottage cheese, etc) but nothing sounds good and broth is easier than sweet shakes for now. Hope everyone is doing well...keep posting and we'll keep track of all of us. Best to everyone, Carol:unsure:

How was your experience in Mexico? I'm also will have to pay out of pocket