Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Shame about gain

I had surgery 5/1/09 and was down 50 lbs after 5 mos. I have since completely fallen off the wagon and put 20 lbs back on.

I fell back into my old habits of too many sweets as they have gone down much easier than I thought they would. I AM going back to the gym starting tomorrow and also getting back on good eating habits but I am hesitant to go in for another fill due to my 20 lb gain and my embarassment.

I've only had 2 fills as I had good restriction after those sessions. I don't think my gain has anything to do with not getting any fills in the last 5 months but rather by lack of exercise and bad food choices.

I want to lose these 20 lbs before I see the doctor again.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Shame and guilt do NOT serve any constructive purpose.

Get over it and climb back on the wagon. It is never too late to start again.

If you are having difficulty replacing bad foods with good ones just take it one at a time.

There is a book called "Eat This Not That" which will give you a lot of ideas. It is not WLS specific but is there really a need for that?

If so, there is a web site with plenty of recipes for WLS patients. BariatricEating.com - BE, Inc. The number one bariatric website for Protein, Vitamins, and success.

Thanks....I will check that site out. I need some ideas on variety as I know that has been part of my problem.

It took me over three years to get over the embarassment of weight gain!! I haven't had a fill since January 2007. I am determined to get back on track. It's never too late!! Go back to your doctor!! You have this wonderful prosthetic device inside your body, use it! Call your doctor right away (he's heard and seen it all, trust me!) Give your weight loss the jump start it needs. P.S. I went back tail between my legs after a 30+ pound weight gain.

You aer not alone, I lost a little more than 50 lbs, gained back 16 pounds and I was very ashamed as well. I went and had a much needed fill and I am back on track, in one week I have lost 6 pounds.

Do not despair! I do not believe that guilt doesn't serve a purpose, it is a normal healthy human behavior and I believe it can either spur us on to spiral of bad behavior or onto a positive new even in your life!

By dumping guilt, chewing gum and restricting carbs I've lost 35 pounds in the last 3 months after gaining 50 pounds. Don't be embarrased and do what you need to do! You can do it!!!!

Hang in there - this is just a little pothole in your journey, you can climb right out and get going again!

Variety is definately the key....I find sometimes I get really into a rut eating the "safe" foods....so I have to look for something different and exciting. Good part for you is that summer is here and with it comes lotsa fresh fruits and veggies! Try making some yummy smoothies with fresh fruit --- they taste like a dessert and not a healthy breakfast!

Hang in there --- you can do it....your band is still there waiting to help you out. I wouldn't be ashamed to go in for a fill --- you figure the docs have seen it all, they would rather you come in and get back on track....rather than put it off, I would think?

Good luck!

Kim

I wouldn't wait. I had a gain and was going to skip my appointment but I said no more running and my Doc gave me the swift kick in the pants I needed! I'll tell you what she told me "I do weight loss surgery NOT brain surgery" that was what I needed to hear and in July I went back on Weight Watchers and got a personal trainer I (still) go to twice a week and went back to my therapist. I went from 299.5 to 195 pounds in 14 months. Go in don't wait to lose the 20 pounds! The Band is hard work Doctors know that! Go back! :thumbup: You can do it!

I am with you! I have put on 30 lbs in the last year and have had no fills in a year.

I've been running as well and I am trying to lose at least 15 lbs so it doesn't look so bad going back to the doctor. However, after reading the replies you have received so far, I just called to make an appointment.

I have the tool!! I spent so much money to get it that it is ridiculous to not use it and continue to struggle as I did before my band.

So, I will take whatever admonishments my physician gives me and start over!

Dont be ashamed to go see your Dr. as you can see from all the responses to your pot you are not the only one. I lost 35lbs gained that back ant then 50 more before I got the courage to face my Dr. the worst thing he said to me was why did I not come in sooner that he was there just for things like this. I wanted to lose some befor I went back to see him but the weight just kept piling on. Dont do like me and let it get to far out of hand before you get back in for a adjustment!!I am now back on track and have lost 93lbs since Nov. so I know you can do it too. Dont give up!!

My scenario is just a little different. I lost what I wanted but I gained back 10 lbs because I wasn't feeling full and was devastated. I went back and my band had loosened and lost a little so got a fill and was then too tight. Went back again and she took out a little. I thought that was going to take care of it but it hasn't. I lost 7lbs but because I find myself plugging up when I eat chicken or turkey because I think I am still a little too tight I have started eating the "easy" foods which don't keep me feeling full. I really hate to go back because it costs me $250.00 every time I go in. I keep thinking it will loosen up a bit but it hasn't. I have a 10cc band with 9 1/2cc in it. It is very frustrasting to go to all this work and spend all this money to see it start to creep back on. Not to mention depressing and we all know what happens when we get depressed.

im really glad i ran across this.....such great advice

Finally! I have that appointment! It took days of phone tag with the appointment admin to finally get an appointment only to find out the PA who usually does my fills is out until July. I also had to have blood work done first before they would see me. After blood work it was a wait of 10 days so they can get the results.

Anyways, I have an appointment on Monday, June 28 with a different fill nurse. And I signed up for a 5 week fitness class to get me back on track!

I WILL get this done! No more excuses!:thumbup:

When I had my nutrition consult, the dietician told me that he never understood why ppl dont come back into the office for help/fills before they gain all of their weight back. I think your doctor would rather see you 20 pounds heavier than 50 pounds heavier. I don't blame you for feeling ashamed because I'd be doing the same thing. That's why these doctors are there...things like what you're going through happen. Don't be ashamed. You'll be back on track! Good luck! :thumbup: