Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have gone through most phases of the "work up" before the actual operation, but because I ended up having a very bad problem with my back this year, I was out of work for about 2 months. I don't have anymore sick time (and I won't for about 2 years as I was given advanced sick time). What is a true and reasonable amount of time that I will need to be out of work? I can work credit time to accrue some time off hours, and annual time, but that is it. :blink:

It depends on your type of work and a lot on you. Some go back to work in a few days.

I have a desk job. For me, I had my surgery on a Friday. I took the following week off, and did half days the week after that. I was wishing I had taken the second week off as well. But had I really, really needed to, I probably could have managed to be there the second week. But it would have been no fun at all.

Denise

Edited by Cocoabean
grammar

Thank you. At least that gives me a basic idea. I have a desk job, too, but I do a lot of walking around since I am a lead. I have to help everyone else.

I think it depends on a lot of things - your original weight, how you carry it, what type of job you have, etc. Obviously, every one is different. Me? I started weighing 338lbs, but I carry it well...I had my surgery on Thursday and if I HAD to go back to work tomorrow (Monday), I would. Luckily, I had the sick days available, so I took this week off.

If I were to go back to work tomorrow, I'd definitely be in some pain, but I'd be able to hack it. I've been running errands, cleaning my house, taking care of myself, etc. since the day after my surgery (Friday). I teach high school for a living and know that if I needed to lecture from my seat, or have the kids have an "educational video" day, that I could make that happen. I did decide to take the week off, though, because (a) I had the sick days to use, (:biggrin: I have a wonderful substitute teacher and © to allow my body to heal as completely as possible.

If you don't have the days to use, take a good 3 days to yourself to heal. By 4th day pre-op, if you HAVE to go back, you have to. Just be gentle! :blink:

I had surgery on a Wednesday & returned the next Wednesday with no problems. I probably could have gone back on Monday but I had already planned on a week. I am on my feet all day & I didn't have any problems. The first 2 days were the worst for me. I was fine by the weekend.

This is great to hear everyone's opinion. If I had the surgery on a Thursday, I could take off Th & F (Sat/Sun) and possibly return Monday. For me, the worst part would probably be walking into the bldg from the parking lot. Its a pretty good walk.

I had my surgery on Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I felt great and it helped me stay busy-so I didn't think about food. I teach special needs children-so my job is pretty active.

I was just curious if any of you had to do laps in the hospital after your surgery. My Dr. requires you to do so many laps around the nurses station before you can leave so you aren't just lying around. I'm hoping that I won't need much time off as my days are all rolled into one (sick days, vacation time).

Yep. My doctor made me walk several laps around the nurse's station. Then he reminded me to walk at home-to ward off infection and pneumonia.

I was just curious if any of you had to do laps in the hospital after your surgery. My Dr. requires you to do so many laps around the nurses station before you can leave so you aren't just lying around. I'm hoping that I won't need much time off as my days are all rolled into one (sick days, vacation time).

I didn't have to walk...just got up to go potty :blink:. As soon as I said I was okay to go, they let me go. I was in at noon and out by 5:45pm! :blush:

i got banded on the 12-23 and i have no energy whatso ever and i constantly take naps (i keep up on eating and my fluids too) hopefully this wont happen to you but i just thought i would give you a heads up

I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully, you'll start to feel better soon.....:blush:. Have you gone to your doctor since the operation to talk to him/her about this? Did you have the same problem before the operation? I'm just curious. Feel well.

I'd just caution you to have something in your mind about if things don't go according to plan. There are many who had surgery on Thurs/Fri and were back to work on Mon, but many others who could not have done it.

Always good to have a back-up plan in mind, just in case there is no way on earth you could get to work.

I forgot to add in to my recovery story that I caught a cold around the time of my surgery. So, that might have added to my having wanted that second week off. But you never know, that could happen to you, and it could be the flu, not just a cold. And you could get it later into the recovery. My symptoms started about 3-4 days after my surgery, making me suspect I came in contact with the germs in or around the hospital.

Just food for thought.

Denise

Edited by Cocoabean
Stupid spell check didn't work!

If I wasn't already on Medical leave for Knee surgery, I would have taken Minimum, a Week and realistically 2 weeks... I was so sore and sitting up, or standing up really hurt... I felt like I had been sucker punched in the tummy... Once I was up it was ok but the act of getting up took my breath away every time... Everyone is different though. I suggest you plan the days you think you'll need then have a back up plan for 3 or 4 more days if nessacary... And don't feel bad if you need the extra time... Besides each person's differences and how their body handles this, you also have to remember that the Dr's also vary and some may be gentler/more skilled or practiced at this Band surgery than others...

I had my surgery on the 18th and this past Friday 3 weeks out I finally am feeling like myself I too had to take naps and felt like my energy was drained and at 1 week out I could never have returned to work(still sore, and taking my pain meds probably was contributing to lack of energy) but I think the others are right everyone is different but I would be prepared just in case like maybe you could see if you could go back part time or half days if your boss would let you or just tell them upfront you are having surgery and you are not sure how much time you will need off. good luck