Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's For Breakfast

I was recently banded a month ago and I am looking for some Breakfast advice. Does anyone have any suggestions or hints for acceptable breakfast meals that comply with bandster guidelines? I am getting tired of the same old eggs and egg products. Isn’t there any breakfast cereals (warm or cold) or other items that we can have that contain sufficient Protein? Please let me know what works for you to keep variety and interest going in breakfast?

You may have oatmeal. One of my favorites is the fat free Greek yogurts. The plain variety has 20g of Protein.< /p>

Sluggo,

Try some Cream OF Wheat

You may have oatmeal. One of my favorites is the fat free Greek yogurts. The plain variety has 20g of Protein.

Doesn't oatmeal have too many carbs? I like oatmeal but I was told it is on the no no list unless it is some other sort of oat Cereal product whose name escapes me at the moment.

There are many brands on the market. Shop for one that is lower in carbs. I can tell you that I've been eating Quaker Instant Oatmeal. I eat 1/2 a package each morning and I am losing regularly. I do watch my carb intake and try to choose foods lower in carbs but 1/2 a package really isn't that much.

I'm 3 weeks post op, and so far, my breakfasts have mostly cosisted of Carb Master yogurt (12 g Protein, 4 g carbs) and light string cheese (8 g Protein, ? carbs). I'll probably stay on this for a few more weeks, or at least until I get my first fill.

There is one guy at my local support group meeting who has been banded over a year that eats one hard boiled egg and four cucumber slices every day for breakfast. Not sure why, but that's his chosen breakfast.

When you met with your dietician, did s/he give you a list of the acceptable foods? Perhaps you can look at it again, seeing something that you may have forgotten about.

Sorry I'm not more help, since I'm a week behind you, I haven't yet graduated to a full breakfast.

Good luck!

Hi:

I don't count calories or carbs or Protein. I've been banded for 2 1/2 years and have never counted them. That would be too much like "dieting".

My doctor tells us to eat healthy, take a multi-Vitamin, and exercise. Works for me.

I usually have one of the following for breakfast. Yogurt w/a tablespoon of granola, warmed 1/4 cup of fat free milk with 2 tablespoons of granola, cup of cheerios, Cereal bar, a couple of pieces of fat free cheese, cream of wheat, oatmeal, or a peach crisp that I make with instant oatmeal and no sugar added peaches. I have one pancake or 1 1/2 pieces of french toast sometimes on the weekend for a treat. I lean toward the warm choices during the winter.

Best wishes to you finding foods that work for you. Keep on trying.

Sue

I just 'rediscovered' oatmeal today. I stopped eating oatmeal a few years back because it's not good for diabetics. However, I read an article that said this was for the typical 'rolled' oats but that steel cut oats were ok.

So, off to the store I went for a container of steel cut oats. Then I found a few recipes on the internet but this is the one I did and it turned out great...

1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats

6 cups Water

Dried fruit

Honey, Brown sugar or pure maple Syrup, for serving (optional)

In a large saucepan, boil the oats in the Water for 1 minute. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.

The next day, uncover the oats and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the oatmeal is cooked and creamy but still a little bit chewy, about 10 minutes. Serve. Top each bowl with dried fruit and sweetener.

I'm the only one that likes oatmeal so I just divided this up into individual servings in small plastic containers. I'll just add some milk to it and pop it in the microwave to reheat. The fruit and sweetening are added just before serving and are optional. I just add the fruit. It gives just the right amount of sweetness and without the added calories of the other sweeteners.

I had my usual Protein shake for breakfast this morning, but after spending some time outside shoveling the drive, I had a bowl of hot oatmeal for lunch.

I am not a breakfast person but if I don't eat I am ready to gnaw my arm off by lunch (band or no band) I generally have a packet of Instant cream of wheat (I make it from scratch on non-work days) a little bit of half and half and a packet of equal. I make it a little thick. I also add a 100 caloie pack of almonds for some extra Protein or a couple of slices of cheese. That usually keeps me content until lunch time.

Currently, I drink a Protein Drink made with chocolate Muscle Milk powder and soy milk (very tasty). 16 ounces holds me till lunch -- now that I am at my sweet spot -- can't really eat real food for breakfast at this point (maybe I could but it would take forever). I am not a big breakfast eater so it works for me. Before I hit my sweet spot I ate Quaker Oats Weight Control Oatmeal, one packet.

I usually eat a few ounces of cheese or a Yoplait yogurt or a bowl of Cinnamon Roll oatmeal with a spoonful of Peanut Butter (I read about adding the PB on these boards...it's very tasty!). Every once in a while, I'll have a bowl of Raisin Bran or Special K.

Greek yogart fan here ! Every morning 4 oz the increased protien gets me thru to lunch which is a great accomplishment. I heard a sugestion from Dr Oz the other day He suggested,eating the same thing each morning is a great way to remain in control no varience in calories.

How much have you lost? I was banded n 08 I have only lost 34 pounds. My problem is soda and what to eat for Breakfast

I can't drink Protein drinks when I do I through up.

My doctor tells us to eat healthy, take a Multi-Vitamin, and exercise. Works for me.

I usually have one of the following for breakfast. Yogurt w/a tablespoon of granola, warmed 1/4 cup of fat free milk with 2 tablespoons of granola, cup of cheerios, Cereal bar, a couple of pieces of fat free cheese, cream of wheat, oatmeal, or a peach crisp that I make with instant oatmeal and

How much have you lost? I was banded n 08 I have only lost 34 pounds. My problem is soda and what to eat for breakfast

I can't drink Protein drinks when I do I through up.

My doctor tells us to eat healthy, take a Multi-Vitamin, and exercise. Works for me.

I usually have one of the following for breakfast. Yogurt w/a tablespoon of granola, warmed 1/4 cup of fat free milk with 2 tablespoons of granola, cup of cheerios, cereal bar, a couple of pieces of fat free cheese, cream of wheat, oatmeal, or a peach crisp that I make with instant oatmeal and

Michelle33:

I lost 150 pounds, but have since gained back 14. I got as low as 174, but that was too low for me. I've mostly been hanging in the 180's for the past year. I was 188 this morning. I started out at 324. I know 188 sounds like alot, but my excess weight is all below my waist and when I get down to 174 my top half of me looks gaunt. Good luck to you with your band. I love mine.

Sue

My mornings are hectic so for me a Protein shake is the best and it is sooooo good!

.5 cup skim plus milk

3 tbls greek non-fat plain yogurt

scoop of chocolate Protein powder

spoon of flex seed for vitamines

frozen berries

Depending how hungry i am, i usually leave a little bit for a snack.< /p>

There is about 35 grams of Protein in that shake, i get my fruits and dairy. I love love love it! and if i want something extra - i add a tea spoon of low fat Peanut Butter.