Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kate's "The Works" special

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here in a long time but wanted to reconnect with you guys :scared2: I'm getting ready to finish my journey.

I'm getting cosmetic surgery in 5 weeks. I can't wrap my head around it. I've wanted this for so long, but yet, having the band for 5 years, I seem to be doing everything in my power to sabotage myself from being lean. My band is leaking - we think it's the port - and there have been a lot of bumps along the way that has stalled, reversed, and slowed down my weight loss.

I'm not mad about it; my journey has been unique. I can't even begin to describe the things I have learned about myself. It all unfolded the way it should have, I suppose.

But, just when the surgery was most out of reach - I'd gotten laid off - miracles happened and now I'm not only having my leaking port/tube fixed, I'm getting everything done, by one of the top cosmetic surgeons for post bariatric weight loss, two weeks before my 34th birthday. What an amazing turn of events.

I'm scheduled for a body lift, breast lift, brachioplasty (arms) and flankplasty. The only thing he's not doing is my thighs because they don't need it. Yet. lol. They're also replacing my port to a low profile one. Dr. Joseph Capella in Hackensack Medical is my guy. I researched tons of surgeons - this dude is mine.

All this, and I am still clinically overweight. I am shaking my head at the irony of it all.

Yet, why not? My leaking lap band is getting costly for twice-a-month fills. I have no local support group and live alone, so solitary eating is the biggest culprit. Getting the lap band fixed will help me in January shed the last 30 lbs of fat, and work on my lean muscle building.

I suspect that having the surgery will drastically change my relationship with food -- by having beautiful, reliable restriction that helped me lose 100lbs a few years ago (and mercifully helped me totally forget about food) and will give me a shot to my self esteem that has been sabotaging me.

I know it's purely psychological, but I would work SO HARD, and work out, and track my food...especially over the summer...and start losing..10 lbs, 15 lbs...but I would look in the mirror at the "frownie moustache" of my stretched belly, suck it in, ALMOST see a normal shape...and then become depressed knowing that nothing I did would ever fix 30 years of being obese. Then, I would stop trying.

I have loved watching my fellow bandsters go through the surgeries and can think of nobody better to share it with.

Dec 7th is the date. Oh my gosh :thumbup:

Kate

Congratulations, Kate. I've been dancing around 205 for nearly 8-10 months and am still technically overweight. I would love to drop another 20, but if it never happens, I'm still happy. I'd love to hear more about your PS as it gets closer. Can I assume you're covered by insurance? I will be completely self paid, but feel like it's the only right way to end this long journey. Keep us posted. I look forward to reading all about it! Good luck!:scared2:

Hi luv2teech!

First of all I am in love with Boston, and visit it regularly :D So jealous you live there.

This is not covered by insurance...I'm paying for it. I refused to consider PS until I was in the 160's but, with a leaking lap band, I felt it was futile. My mom took me aside one day and told me she felt I was using this surgery date as a reason not to finish my weight loss, or date, or be social. I thought about it, and I think she's right. I feel unfinished.

I talked to my surgeon frankly, and he said I'm an excellent candidate even at 210 lbs. He said I'll come out of it 15 lbs lighter and totally flat. No bra rolls, contoured. I am mystified...but seeing the results other folks have had, I believe!!

For me, this is a much needed move. My band will be fixed, my body will be proportionate, and the last 30 lbs will come off. :)

What are you thinking of getting done?

OMG---it's all I ever think about any more. I finally gathered my courage to ask my surgeon for a suggestion for a PS--he's been asking me for the last 10 months if I wanted one. (Wasn't sure if he thought I needed it or if it's like being at the supermarket when they ask "paper or plastic" and simply part of the routine...) I finally did it. Called the PS after looking at the card for a few days and was told they're scheduling consultations for February. Yep. February. I can't think about something for that long. I need a consultation sooner than that. So I'm back to square one... paralyzed in fear. I know how badly I want it. I just don't know if it's "right" for me--on the emotional side. I swore I'd never go this route, but as I said before, it's just feeling so incomplete.

Can I ask how much it's going to cost you? I've been saving as much money as possible but don't know how much I'll need. That's why I wanted the consult sooner, rather than later.

Hi luv2teech! Sorry for the delay in responding...I can't believe how crazy my life has gotten!

I wasn't even going to look into surgery until my mother suggested I was putting my life on hold, which is silly. Then I just decided to talk to surgeons, loosely plan for a surgery date of a year later. Take my time finding the right guy. Well what I found was, as I met with surgeons, the whole concept became more real. They told me that it didn't matter if I lost weight after surgery, it just mattered that I didn't continue to gain. And then surgery became that much more possible for me. So my recommendation to you is - if it's all you ever think about, what's keeping you from investigating surgeons?? Nothing! At least start meeting them, figuring out what you want, what it will cost. It really changes your perspective...you may decide it isn't for you. Or you may decide it is...but being "paralyzed by fear" is a wasteful emotion. Get out there girl! You can do ANYthing, you survived morbid obesity!! :thumbup: Woo hoo! (I'm so caffeinated this morning)

There's more than one surgeon around - so don't hang your hat on one office that has a waiting list that long. Really, by the time I found Dr. Capella I knew everything about the operation itself AND the surgery and could ask intelligent questions like, what's your revision clause?

But, let's defang the fear. Why are you so afraid to even look into cosmetic surgery? Are you afraid of the operation, or the results? Why did you swear you'd never do it? It's not for everyone, but I can say with conviction at this point in my life, that for me the only way I can boot fat Kate into the pages of history and truly let go of that old self is to have the surgery. It's a psychological boon to roll over in bed and not be dragging a heap of skin with me. I know I will be so much happier and proud of my accomplishment. It's different for everyone.

As far as price... My price tag came to under $20,000.00 Yes, hideously expensive. That includes replacing the port, arms, breast, FULL circumferential body lift (not just a tummy tuck) and flank Lipo. I did not want the tube body post op, so he's contouring. I'm only doing this once, so it's gonna be complete.

The only way I was able to add arms in is because Dr. Capella has a physician assistant who's been working with him for a few years and together they get the procedure done quickly. Initially I was going to add arms later...but they will be finished with me in 5 hours, and do not feel it is a risk to my health. My arms aren't bad, but are in need of help, and will not take long to do. So why not?

:smile2:

Hi Kate,

Just noticed you had a thread here. Dec 7 will be here in now time. You have done great with weight loss and this will help you finish the race we started. I so know the psychological side. You are getting the total makeover. YAY! I never really thought about PS but glad I was brave enough to get those consultations to make a decision. For months it was all I thought about too. Now is over and recovering well.

I really hope the new port fixes your leakage.

Thanks skinnyjeans...I really hope it works too. Because I've never been able to join a local support group, I think I went down this rabbit hole of belief that slowed my weight loss. I thought I found the "secret" to the band and that somehow I was now used to the restriction and it didn't work anymore. I miss the days of not being hungry. I miss not thinking about food!!! Once in a while I get it from a fill but it is empty or under filled within a week.

I'm trying not to be bummed that I'm still 50 lbs from goal while doing this. I tell myself, if the doc is to be believed and he will take 15 lbs off in skin, then I am looking at 35 to lose. Either way, I am looking at the PS as a "re-banding." Gonna do my BEST to do 14 days of all liquid up to the surgery. Except Thanksgiving of course. LOL.

Gonna do my BEST to do 14 days of all liquid up to the surgery. Except Thanksgiving of course. LOL.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Your going to love the new you.

But is you plastic surgeon on board with you doing mostly liquids 2 weeks before the BIG surgery? The reason I ask is our bosies go thru a HUGE trauma and we need to be in the best nutricinal state we can to help with the recovery. If you plan on this liquids I would recomend in addition to high Protein shakes, that you try and get some Protein bullets. You can find them at GNC or online even, they have 42-45 grams of protein in each one. I lived on these in the week aftr surgery as I had a hard time eating solids after surgery. They are a great way to get in 150 plus grams of protein a day to help with the recovery process.

Don't be bummed about being 50lbs from goal, I wasn't at goal when I went under the knoife, and I do not regret it at all.

I look forward to following the rest of your journey.

Kelly :-)

Hey Kate! It is great u are completing the journey! I feel the same way, I am so ready to get all this over with! I am below 200lbs. but not much below! lol I am planning on having PS in late Dec early Jan. I am planning on having a body lift(tummy, flank, butt) then bout 6 weeks later have my breast and arms done! I can't wait, but I am really concerned that I really don't know the doctor I am going to! I can't find any lawsuits or anything on him! He did the seminar for lap banders needing body contouring at the hospital I had my lap band surgery. Since, u have been to several docs is there anything I would appreciate any advice on things I really need to find out or know that I may not have asked! Thanks and congrats!

Shalee, lol, I failed on liquids so far. Heh. I'm eating well, but after a fill on Sunday I'm loose again :thumbup: oh well, it's the LAST TIME this will happen after a fill.

The suggestion was great for that Protein bullet. Never heard of it! I use Shakeology + a Peanut Butter bolster. I like it because it also has Probiotics, anti-oxidants, Vitamins, minerals, and Fiber, and will be a great post-op regimen to help with the slow-down of digestion. Man those percocets really mess me up, so I might get some additional stool softeners.

Thanks too for the reassurance about the "not being at goal" thing. I'm taking this as the blessing it is. :biggrin:

Kydime - I asked the doctors I interviewed:

- Did they have experience with lap band patients

- How many similar surgeries have they done (Mine has done over 600)

- How many required revisions has he had within 6 months

- What is their revision clause

- Did they have anyone else in the OR performing the operations (am I a teaching patient)

80% of the docs could not answer the first question right...so I kept going. I ended up choosing the surgeon my lap band doctor (Dr. Ren) suggested. It was important to me to find someone who knew lap band/massive weight loss. I'm so, so glad I held out.

Well it's ten days away. I sent all money away. Every last penny. I'm not really nervous, just impatient for it to be over. I do get a little nervous thinking about waking up after surgery...I absolutely hate that feeling of disorientation and realizing it's over and I missed it all. LOL. It was the reason I never took naps as a five year old, much to my mother and pre-school teachers' dismay :) hehe. I also don't like the feeling of gas and drugs in my body as soon as I wake up from surgery.

Just ready to get on with healing.

Kate, it is wonderful that we have another PS to follow. I hope you aill post before and after pictures. I am eager to follow all your PS especially your brachioplasty. That one makes me the most nervous about my decision to have it because the scars are public.

Mimi

10 days woohoo. It's so close. I'm super excited for you.

From my experience definitely take extra stool softners. I was taking them but should have doubled up.

I'm sure you will do fine in surgery. Be sure and keep your Protein up now and after. Take extra Vit C too.

Hi Kate!! You are getting close now. I know you must be excited and nervous all in one! I am also laid off and my surgery came in at almost 19 grand. I am getting thighs in 3 months for an addition 6 grand. But you will be so glad you did it and spent the money on you. I can hardly wait to see your after pics!! Are you going to be staying with family after surgery? You will need 24 hour help for at least 4 days. At least that is what I found and I didn't have as much as you are. I think the arms are gonna be tough. You wont be able to use your stomach, chest or arms to move. You will need someone to pretty much scoop you up to go to the bathroom. I just want to be sure you are prepared with help. Keep us posted!!!