Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death about my first fill! HELP!!

I was only banded 9 days ago so it will be a while before my first fill , but I have been reliving the two conversations I have had with my doctor about it and I need some advice.

I am totally needle-phobic. Tiny needles don't bug me at all, but big needles do, and especially needles that have to stay inside you for more than a second. My biggest fear when I had my son last year via C-Section was not the C-Section, but the IV and epidural. The epidural turned out to be fine (awesome, in fact because I had already been in labor for 10 hours) because the doctor gave me 3 or 4 little lidocaine shots first and never let me see the epidural needle. The IV, on the other hand, only exacerbated my phobia because I had toxemia and was so bloated with Fluid that they had difficulty finding my vein. They stabbed me 4 times before they hit the spot. I forgot all about my contractions during this!

Fast forward to my LapBand surgery. I had let them know at my preadmission about my needle trauma, and my nurse was an angel that gave me Lidocaine before inserting the IV needle. It was not bad at all. And the surgery went well and did not scare me at all.

The problem. My doctor refuses to numb me before my fill!! He seems determined to prove to me that it won't hurt, and he is really arguing with me about it. I am a self-pay and have paid for my surgery PLUS 1 year of fills in advance, so I am a little hesitant to just find someone else to do the fills. But I am starting to obsess over it, and I almost feel at this point that if I were to finally talk him into numbing me, he might really jab me with the Lidocaine just to win the argument :-(

Can someone give me some advice about this?? Sorry to be such a wuss!!

My Dr. does not numb before he fills either and I can only speak from my experience, it is not bad at all, just a tiny little sting that only lasts for a second, once he access your port there is no pain at all..you may be worrying for nothing :)

There is a cream you can buy at the pharmacy, my son used it for his chemo on his port , we would put it on everytime before he went for his chemo. it is called Emla Cream. Here is a site below where you may be able to order some for when you go for your fills. It works great. My son never felt a needle once for 3 yrs of chemo. You just put it on your port site an hour or so before you are going to be accessed

This site tells you about the product

http://www.emla-us.com/

This site is where you can order some online

http://www.westcoastskin.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.search&product_namefilter=Emla&ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=wcs_otc_google&ovcrn=emla_cream&ovtac=PPC

My fills are very easy. there is no needle issues. my doc feels for the port, holds between his fingers and slips the needle right in. you shouldn't worry, Ive had 3 fills and no problems. the sensation of the fill is wierd, cool yet wierd. it isnt a bid deal I promise. as long as dr. can find the port and is experienced. just relax and wait for the "fill" feeling.

Yeah, like Jack said, the fill was really anti-climatic... I'd worked my self into such a stage I had ear filled ears.... Yup, not eyes, but ears!

honey-bunny, you have a long way to go before your fill, please try to not stress about this, honestly it isn't that big a deal. ((((hugs))))

Thanks, you guys are the best!

I will try to stop worrying, and I have already ordered the Emla cream :-)

I will certainly let you all know how it goes!

Hi Heather,

I am like you. I am so scared to get this done. I've thought of taking a Valium (if I can get a hold of one) just to get the fill. My husband thinks I am the biggest baby, and I admit it....I AM. When I had my first C section, I bawled when they took the staples out (a med student did it and he sucked) and so for the next 2 C sections, I wouldn't let any body do it but me.

I sat there on the couch at home unclamping the staples one at a time, and crying inbetween, because it bothered me so much.

I have low pain tolerance when it comes to skin. Kick me hard in the shin and I'll barely say "ow" but get a needle and stick me and I'll be dying inside.

It just grosses me out, it's like the fingernails scratching the chalkboard type of pain.

Get out your ipod and put on some great music!

Close you eyes..before you know it..and before the first song

is done..you file will be in!

Heather,

I was really nervous about my fill as well. My friend said her doctor numbs her before doing it so she didn't even feel the fill.

So off I go for my first fill. I get on the table, ask the doctor if he is going to kill me and he says yes! He was kidding, but I wasn't so sure. So I am thinking that this little syringe in his hand is to numb me. He sticks it in and it isn't bad at all. Just like a shot. Then I am waiting for the big moment and he says, "Let's go across the hall and take a look inside."

That was it! He was done! No numbing necessary. I have had three now and don't even dread it. It has never hurt anymore than getting a shot in the arm. Actually, not even that much. Dr. Maese does my fills and he is in Dallas, and I think he is just the best! So don't worry. My friend told me it is more psychological and she was right.

Deby

I was more nervous about my first fill than I was the surgery. My first fill was a breeze under fluro. I am having my second fill on Tuesday without the floroscope....but, I am too excited about the possible resriction to be worried about any fill pain (by the way, I did not experience any the first time).

I wanted to comment on your doctor insofar as numbing the port area first and his not doing that for you....that is bs.....you are the "customer", if you want it numbed he should numb the area.

Margo,

The great thing was that it didn't hurt at all! I didn't need it to be numbed. The doctor is awesome at doing it and I am glad I listened to him.

Take care,

Deby

I'm sorry your doctor is acting like a but. When you have that conversation with him have someone else with you. When you get your fill, take someone with you to hold your hand and to be sure he does what he is suppose to.

Hi Margo,

The first one was only .5 cc, the second was .9 cc, and the last one was .3 cc. so I am at 1.7 cc now.

Deby

I was banded on July 28th and have finally scheduled a fill for November 9th. I have to have mine done in X-ray because we can't feel my port yet. I've been lucky though since July 28th I've lost over 40 pounds without a fill. Lately though I've been able to eat way too much, way too easily, so it's time.

Good luck with everything.

Quilter Mom