Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I bring?

I don't think this is the right section to put this in, but what should I bring with me on surgery day I know there is a thread about this but I can't find them. I know I should bring all my papers they gave me, the breathing tube that helps you cough and the antibacterial soap they gave me, Shampoo, toothpaste and tooth brush iPod and my phone, chapstick and fav pillow is there anything else that I'll need?

I brought a change of clothing (cotton w/ elastic band), toothbrush/toothpaste, hairbrush, socks and slip on shoes.

Nothing else is needed unless your doc advises you on it. The more you bring is the more you have to tote home.

Before my surgery I had to meet with the coordinator of the Weight loss team. She gave me a binder with very useful information. One of the pages was a list of things to bring with you to the hospital compiled by other patients.

1. A positive attitude after all you are making a life change for the better.

2. A small pilloiw to hold against your tummy when you cough.

3. Brush/Comb

4. Camera

5. Deodorant

6. Diet Instructions

7. Lip Balm

8. Loose clothes to wear home (very important)

9. Lotion

10. New book or magazine

11. Robe (optional)

12. Slippers

13. Toothbrush/Toothpaste

14. Your own pillow to sleep with

I also brought a soft cup bra. I usually wear underwire and the largest incision you will have sits just under your bra line. A soft cup or loose elastic bra will help a lot. Not sure why they gave you soap and Shampoo. I was an overnight patient and wasn't allowed to wash anything other than my face and brush my teeth. Good Luck!

Hi Erin18,

All the things listed are great, but I would also add Gas-X strips (they melt on your tongue). I brought mine and I still think walking helped the most with the gas pain, but I also took a lot of strips too. As a matter of fact, one of the other women that had surgery the same day as I did forgot her strips and so I have her 5-6 of mine. I actually used these for several days and I think they help. :scared2:

weight.png

Great! Just the question i wanted to ask. What to bring! Thing is i'm not an overnight patient its going to be a one-day surgery I think! Dang! One thing i forgot to ask! I"m not having it done at a hospital but a surgery center. Hmmm Dang and i have my surgery on Monday! I can't believe i forgot this important question!

Great! Just the question i wanted to ask. What to bring! Thing is i'm not an overnight patient its going to be a one-day surgery I think! Dang! One thing i forgot to ask! I"m not having it done at a hospital but a surgery center. Hmmm Dang and i have my surgery on Monday! I can't believe i forgot this important question!

at the hospital im getting my surgery at, i might not be staying over night so im bringing an overnight bag just in case. i would have bring a few things people listed in case (: can you call them? i would (:

thanks everyone, i hope i'm out of the hospital that day so i wont have to have all the stuff but i'll have it in case. the soap is to use the night before surgery(i think from your chest down where your belly ends) and the second pack is for after surgery, its antibacterial/antimicrobial skin cleanser to help prevent infection, oh and they told me to bring Shampoo when i take a shower there before i leave or if im staying the night, ill keep the gas-x in mind! thanks! =D

Edited by Erin18

I stayed overnight. I showed up only with my purse and wearing the clothes that I was going to wear the next day, knowing I was only going to be wearing them for a few hours. They gave me slippers. I wore the gown the rest of the time until it was time to go home the next day.

Don't wear anything requiring a bra. You'll have a super tiny incision right where the front of your bra sits and it feels icky to put pressure on it. Even a sports bra felt weird.

If you're not sleeping, you should be walking the halls, so I don't see how necessary it is to bring a book or anything to read. Walk walk walk walk walk it will feel sooo much better.