Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As I've been reading through the forums, I've noticed a lot of people with the weight loss tickers that have had their surgery only a few weeks ago and many have already lost over 30 pounds! Is that NORMAL? My doctor told me that the average is one to two pounds a week.

Please share your first month's weight loss, stories and amounts.

I did lose pretty darn quick at first - not spectacular as I had a BMI of 35, but I'd definitely lost 30lb within the first 2 months.

I find it really really hard to imagine how people dont lose quicky at first. I mean you're eating hardly anything! But everyone is different and for sure, everyone is not fat simply due to overeating. People here have bodies that just arent working all that great. I was a lucky one, I ate too much, I got fat, I stopped eating too much, I got unfat.

I had great restriction - I cant really figure it out becuase I'm not a "sweller". I dont swell and get tight after fills, my stomach isnt sensitive, I can eat anything, by rights I shouldnt have had a lot of swelling after surgery. i should have been one of the ones that lost that very very quicky and went through bandster hell. But I wasnt.

After that though, my weight loss slowed RIGHT down and I was overall quite a slower loser, taking 2 entire years to lose 100lb. So it took me what, over 20 months to lose the other 80. It was just slow and steady.

I lost 20lbs on the 2 week pre-op diet and so far post op I average 10lbs a month, I don't cheat and stay around 750 calories a day (my nutritionist says between 600-850 is fine). Losing in the pre op really got me motivated. I got banded april 13th and am down 60lbs since my surgeon's appt. 2 weeks before surgery and feel great.

P.S. my ticker isn't updating correctly

I lost 20lbs on the 2 week pre-op diet and so far post op I average 10lbsa month, I don't cheat and stay around 750 calories a day (my nutritionist says between 600-850 is fine). Losing in the pre op really got me motivated. I got banded april 13th and am down 60lbs since my surgeon's appt. 2 weeks before surgery and feel great.

P.S. my ticker isn't updating correctly

OMG!!! WOW, that's fast, I bet you look amazing! I'm so excited hearing your success! Congratulations.

In my first month I lost 32 pounds. This included the 5 days prior to surgery on the liquid diet phase. After the surgery I lost my appetite and was consistently losing 15 lbs. a month and had lost 111 pounds in 8 months. I know that isn't healthy but I couldn't figure it out either and neither could the doctor. I even had to force feed myself to stop losing and have maintained my lose now for almost 3 years. I never needed a fill due to the lose I had. Someone was on my side helping me and I am thankful, also thankful that I didn't become anorexic in which that was the road that I was seeing ahead when I looked at myself. Thank God all is good now.

Josephine

I think I lost close to 40lbs within the pre-op to the first two months...but then it slowed way down and the last couple of months it's only been like 4lbs a month or so....I also have not gotten serious about exercising either so I think the time has come for that....

I had my surgery ten days ago and so far I've lost 25lbs but that includes my 2 week pre-op liquid diet.. :thumbup:

I am 2 months out and 45 lbs down. That includes my 1 week pre-op liquid diet. I lost 32 that first month and 13 this past month. On the liquid diet it's usually a rapid weight loss, then as you transition back to solid food a lot of people stall because their bodies have gone into starvation mode from eating 500cals a day. Overall, most of the statistics I read also stated 1-2 lbs a week. My doctor, however told me that because of my age and activity level I could expect mor2 than that --12-15 lbs a month (3-4 a week). There are a lot of factors that effect your weight loss. Don't compare yourself to other people. Just do what your doc tells you and take any loss you get.

I went back to look at what I lost.. I lost 12 lbs in the first month post-op. I believe I lost 8 lbs on the pre-op diet. I lost 5.4 lbs in the second month post-op.

I think I'm the more typical 1-2 lbs per week loser but I don't lose that each week either. Sometimes I lose none... but make up for it later.

Good luck!!

i was banded on june 10th, lost 10 lbs on pre-op, 7 lbs first week of post-0p, 4 lbs second week post -op, i will be weighin in on wed for 3rd week post-op but ive lost i can tell..another 5 lbs or so and ill go down a size..

my weight loss was mainly the diet I had to go on for my insurance to approve the surgery and the pre-op and post-op diet. I lost 9lbs the first week after surgery

Some people's tickers include what they lost from the beginning - their 6 month insurance approval diet... some start with the pre-op liquid diet... and some start from the day of their surgery. It's hard to tell by just looking at their tickers. Good luck to you!! Becky

I have lost 6 lbs (need to update ticker) since starting my pre-op diet.

Not banded yet but here is my "theory" on the weightloss . . . some drs (like mine) are very strict about pre and post op diet. For example, I am basically on Clear liquids (sugar free, lowfat) for 7 days prior to surger. After surgery, I have to do 2 weeks of liquids (clear liquids plus low fat cream soups) and then 2 weeks after that I have to do "mushy" low fat, low sugar. So, basically, I think some women lose ALOT quickly because of diets like this???? That's my theory.

I have lost 6 lbs (need to update ticker) since starting my pre-op diet.

Not banded yet but here is my "theory" on the weightloss . . . some drs (like mine) are very strict about pre and post op diet. For example, I am basically on Clear Liquids (sugar free, lowfat) for 7 days prior to surger. After surgery, I have to do 2 weeks of liquids (clear liquids plus low fat cream soups) and then 2 weeks after that I have to do "mushy" low fat, low sugar. So, basically, I think some women lose ALOT quickly because of diets like this???? That's my theory.

:tongue_smilie:I FORGOT TO ADD THAT I AM ON Protein shakes AS WELL. I HAVE TO CONTINUE THEM THROUGH THE mushy stage.

I lost 42 pounds pre and post op then slowly regained back about 15-16 of that over the ensuing months until I FINALLY hit my sweet spot on May 7, 2009 at 10:15 AM (but who remembers those things LOL) Now I'm down almost 68 pounds...over 2/3 of that since May 7 of this year. It varies...My average appears to be about 1.75 pounds per week, taking it from when I started the preop diet.