Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Old Habits Returning!!

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some advice: I was banded on 2/24/09 and had my first fill of 4ccs on March 26th. I didn't experience much restriction after the first fill, and have noticed that in the past three weeks, I have been increasing the amount of food I am eating and the types of bad foods (i.e. mini-hersheys and frozen yogurt) that I sneak in. I have not once actually felt "full." It's like my bad habits are creeping back in again! Have any of you had this problem? How did you overcome it? I am trying to get a fill next week to hopefully help with the restriction...any and all advice welcome!!

Thanks!

I'm going through that myself. I was banded on 1/19 and have been doing well, but I'm finding myself eating larger and larger amounts (although I've stayed away from the bad stuff for the most part ... knock on wood! :) Anyway, I'm finding myself wanting to eat the way I used to - to relieve stress or boredom or to reward myself. My entire department at work is being restructured and the stress is getting to me. It's my first major crisis without food and I'm doing OK so far but I can see why people fall off the wagon now.

I am in the same boat with you two. I also had my first fill last week, but only felt restriction the first two or three days. Starting this week, I've been able to eat more and more, even though I still make healthy food choices. I eat less than before the surgery, but the difference is I am staying away from the rice and bread as well as the sweets. I am not losing weight, I definitely need Portion Control.< /p>

I'm the same. I had a 2.5 cc fill on 3/17, and after a few days zero restriction. I can basically eat whatever I want. I stay away from breads, but tortillas and potatoes are too easy to eat. My next fill is scheduled for 4/12 and I'm going to call on Monday to move the appointment date up. I don't want to gain any of the weight I've lost so I need to get some restriction going otherwise my old habits will take over! Scary.

*jumps in the boat with the rest of you*

I was banded 1/14, had two fills and have another scheduled for day after tomorrow (Monday) I think I have about 6cc's or so as of today. I've been able to stick with fairly healthy choices but my portions are going up also. Not drinking when eating but I'm doing a lot more healthyish snacking too.

I've not gotten anything stuck, never even had any feeling of being stuck (OR feeling full for that matter)

What the hell people??

This will-power shit is starting to run out.

Today wasn't one of my better days, I'm afraid. My older son's prom was last night and he was to spend the night with a friend. He called me about 5:45 AM to tell me that he'd moved his truck last night to let someone else out and backed up over a high curb and one of the rear wheels was stuck. My husband had Army Reserves so I went to try and straighten things out ... this kid lived in a brand new subdivision that wasn't on any map yet. My son had to come out to the main road to meet me. So we called a tow truck and it took three hours to come! I stopped at Wendy's on the way home to get lunch for my two boys and ended up getting a Frosty'cino - the first real stress eating I've done since surgery. I can't believe I did it and can't help but feel I've started down the slippery slope ... :blink:

footballmom, one time slip is okay. We all probably do it once per a while. Don't feel guilty about it but stopping slipping into eating comfort food now. I heard from several other people in the forum that once we reach our sweet spot, we will have restriction and the weight will come off.

Dnna, you are supposed to have a fill today, aren't you? How did it go? Do you feel restriction now?

footballmom, one time slip is okay. We all probably do it once per a while. Don't feel guilty about it but stopping slipping into eating comfort food now. I heard from several other people in the forum that once we reach our sweet spot, we will have restriction and the weight will come off.

Dnna, you are supposed to have a fill today, aren't you? How did it go? Do you feel restriction now?

I get filled in about 3 hours--I'll let you know :rolleyes:

Hi all, I am in the same boat, banded on Jan. 16th with only 1 1/2 cc in my band, have had only 2 fills. I WANT RESTRICTION, and am NOT getting it!!!:rolleyes: :wink2: :sad:

Everytime I go see the surgeon I tell him that I have NO RESTRICTION, I am beginning to wonder if he speaks ENGLISH????? I am eating more and more and have gained back 3lbs this past week. I am getting MAD!

I pretty much feel doomed. I get food stuck at times but do not experience early feelings of fullness. I feel like I'm back to square one. :rolleyes:

wintobethin, I think your surgeon does very small fills if you are only at 1.5 cc with 2 fills. I think you definitely need to get a third fill and this time you could ask your surgeon to give you a bigger fill. I only had one fill, but the PA gave me 4.4cc, yet I also don't have any restriction. I am eating large portion meals. I too gained 1 lb back last week. :rolleyes: I heard once we reach sweet spot, the weight will come off like Water. Let's hope we reach the spot as soon as possible.

Annie, there is a theory out there that you should get another fill. Because you have some restriction but not enough restriction, the food got stuck in your esophagus instead of passing down to your stomach or stay in your pouch so you feel full for a good amount of time. The theory is that you should get another fill so the restriction is enough for the food to stay in your pouch for a good amount of time instead of getting stuck in the esophagus. I don't know if this theory is right or not, but you should talk to your doctor about it.

i am in the same boat as the rest of you. the thing that sucks is that my family doesnt get how hard it is to have will power even with the band.

my mom wanted me to go sit at mcdonalds with her while my nephew played at the playground...i told her i couldnt do it becuase i dont have the will power to go places like that and not eat the bad food. she just doesnt get it! they think the band is a miracle and just becuase you have the band you dont ever want to eat anymore.

i was banded december 10th and i go for my 2nd fill tomorrow. my first fill was 3 cc on feb. 12th. i did ok for the rest of feb and early march...but now i want to eat a ton!!! i hope this fill helps!

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some advice: I was banded on 2/24/09 and had my first fill of 4ccs on March 26th. I didn't experience much restriction after the first fill, and have noticed that in the past three weeks, I have been increasing the amount of food I am eating and the types of bad foods (i.e. mini-hersheys and frozen yogurt) that I sneak in. I have not once actually felt "full." It's like my bad habits are creeping back in again! Have any of you had this problem? How did you overcome it? I am trying to get a fill next week to hopefully help with the restriction...any and all advice welcome!!

Thanks!

Don't worry a bit. Many of us got the band so we would never have to diet another day in our lives.

That said, don't diet. Yes, you should avoid the whole pizza and binging....you should opt for baked instead of fried, make better food choices based on nutrition....but let the band get you on the right track....

and that comes with restriction. One adjustment and you probably don't have restriction as you say you can still eat- alot.

Go back in 4 weeks for another.....the day will come where you won't be able to eat alot.

Hang in!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks!

Are you able to eat solid food without getting stuck? If yes, then perhaps you need another fill. If no, I would suggest a slight unfill. Not sure if your consuming slider foods, because they are easier for you to egt down your pouch.

Did you call your doctor yet?

It's so easy to return to what we know is bad for us when our "assistant" is not assisting! I would like to tell you that it does get better. I was banded in November and had to wait until January for a fill. Lost 10 pounds first month, gained 6 in the second, only lost 3 or 4 in the third, and so on...you get my point. I finally felt restriction with my 3rd fill on March 6--it only lasted 2 weeks, but I got another on April 3 which is still working. Since my March 6 appointment I have lost about 15 pounds (+/-). I am so thankful that I now have restriction--I am at 6.1 ccs in a 10 cc band. My dr. was not worried, he said it takes some more fills than others. The average number of fills he gives before getting to the sweet spot is 4 to 6. He said I was doing great. BUT--I did increase my exercise--that is still a very important part. It's much easier with restriction though--even if you eat something you shouldn't, you don't eat very much! And seeing the pounds makes you want to exercise to get more off. Just keep track of EVERYTHING you eat--good and bad. For me, I also have to make sure I get at least 1000 calories...less than that I don't lose either.

Good luck--we'll get there! :rolleyes: