Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill massive restriction.....?

I had my second fill on Monday and am now at a total of 4.5 cc's and I am feeling a lot of restriction. The list of food that I can't eat is much larger then the food I can eat! I can't eat almost any meat except fish I called the dr yesterday thinking my band might be to tight and was told if I can keep down liquids (which I can) and if I can take in some solids that it might be tight but not to tight! I was told to add an extra Protein Shake to my diet and he would see next month. Anyone else been this tight after a second fill?

Yep! I have had the same thing! Almost two months ago I had a fill with massive restriction after. Lost 9 pounds in a month, so he didn't do another fill. I go back in on March 31. I'm getting real tired of eating soft food! Seems the only thing that doesn't hurt is yogurt! Last night I tried a very light Pasta (angel hair) and veggie with two bites of meat and was I in PAIN! I too have had to completely give up meat and fish! I'm also frustrated because solid foods are outright painful for me to eat and I burp the whole time while swallowing! Have you experienced the burping??

I'm shocked your surgeon won't do a slight unfill! That sounds really wrong to me! Per the chart in my surgeon's office, when you can only eat "slider" foods then you are TOO TIGHT and need an unfill! If I were you I'd demand that it be loosened a little; it's not healthy and it isn't the point of the band, to suffer through meals!

I just got one on Monday too, and for the first couple days, I had a ton of restriction. It's getting better now, but I did lose two pounds this week! Hang in there!

I was too tight after my second fill and after a week of only being able to eat Soups and shakes, I called my bariatric team and was told to come in straight away for a small defill. I didn't like not being able to eat a proper small meal and am much happier being less restricted and being able to eat healthy food.< /p>

Soon: I got my second fill of 1cc at the end of January. My total fill at that time was only 3cc but I developed a lot of problems with pain when eating, reflux, heartburn and told my doctor. He did a "blame the patient" routine trying to tell me just to eat Protein - forget the other foods, etc..He ordered an endoscopy and then an upper GI before he would do an unfill. Well, both tests showed I was tight. He wasn't supposed to see me until next Tuesday but he called yesterday (Thursday) after he viewed the upper GI film and wanted me to come in right away. Trust me when I tell you his attitude was completely different. I think he felt guilty when he saw the test results and knew I was in real pain, etc.. So he unfilled 1cc. We'll see how this goes. Do not tolerate this level of discomfort. Do not do a wait and see. You shouldn't have these problems. Yeah, I lost 5 pounds but at great cost. Read my posts in the complication forums about reflux, heartburn, hiatal hernia, etc. Good luck.

I got massive restriction on my second fill as well. I took off some weight in a hurry and a few weeks later my band was comfortably restricted (Proteins were OK again) and I had reached my sweet spot. That one fill lasted me 5-6 months and is where I lost most of my weight.

You don't want to rely too much on slider foods but if you can get things down without pb'ing . . . I would give it a little time. Another thing with the second fill is that what I had learned about "chew to goo" and eating slow was not sufficient. I had to relearn the bandster rules at a different level of restriction. What was good enough before wasn't sufficient after until I took the time to reaquaint myself.

I got massive restriction on my second fill as well. I took off some weight in a hurry and a few weeks later my band was comfortably restricted (Proteins were OK again) and I had reached my sweet spot. That one fill lasted me 5-6 months and is where I lost most of my weight.

I am all about taking the weight off, at this point I am more worried about not taking in enough calories and my body halting all weight loss. I am willing to try to give it a few more days and supplement my dietary needs with an extra protien shake but if I continue to be in pain after two or three bites I'll have to get unfilled to make sure I don't splurge on the wrong foods, like milkshakes and such!

I had a tough time after my second fill. I have a 10 cc band and for the first fill got 3 cc's. I had only a slight restriction. A month later I went back for fill #2, I received 1cc. By that evening I couldnt even get a sip of Water down. The next morning I called the surgeons office and was told he's in surgery all day. I met him in the ER between surgeries and he took out the 1 cc from the day before. At that point My stomach was very swelled and sore from throwing up and the band being too tight. I tried for a week to tough it out...barely eatting or drinking anything. I went back and the dr had to take out another 1/2 cc. At this point I seemed to hit my sweet spot, and the weight began to come off steadily. Up to this point I had hardly lost any weight 3 months post surgery, about 15 pounds. You do need to tough it out somewhat, but if youre in pain or can hardly keep anything down, you need an unfill. I think a lot of dr's dont pay attention to patients, they are more interested in the weight loss and # on the scale than listening to what the real person is telling them. You have to know what you want when you go in to see the dr. I have learned this over the months of being banded. And if you want some taken out be insistant...they will relent. Youre the only one who knows how you feel. I am to the point to where I tell them how much I want in a fill or an unfill...I can only handle small fills, such as 1/2 cc or 1/4 cc. After awhile your fills will last for many months as you continue to lose. meat is something I can not really eat. The first 2 questions the dr asks when I go for a fill are.....can you eat meat? and does your stomach growl? If you say no he says youre doing great. I really cant eat meat, very rarely and only then if its chopped up in a food processor and smothered in gravy to make it wet enough not to stick. We all have to learn whats right for ourselves now, everyone is different. I only have 2 cc's in my band right now and I can not eat very much. Good luck to you.