Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so frustrated right about now and just need to vent. My scale as of yesterday showed that I was -12 lbs. since starting my 14-day pre-op liquid diet. I have been dam near perfect -- I have not cheated at all. My family so impressed with how well I've been doing and with my motivation and attitude. I got up this morning, really wasn't even hungry and didn't even attempt to have a shake until noon. I weighed myself first and the frickin' scale says I've gained 6 lbs. since yesterday!!! Again, I ask, WTF???? I'm SO MAD!!! I know I haven't done anything but I don't want it to appear as if I've been cheating when I haven't.

I'm just going to suck it up and not lose my focus, although eating food is kind of appealing right now but I know and recognize it's because I'm angry. And I'm not going to do that and sabotage myself. But seriously -- 6 lbs!!!! Seriously?

Has anyone else encountered this strange phenomenon?

It's liquid/water retention. Honestly. 6 pounds is 21000 calories. You didn't "gain" that. and truthfully some of your 12 pound loss was probably "water" too. Your best bet is to stay off of the scale, except for once a week or so. Post band you'll probably lose a good bit at first then it will slow down; daily weigh ins will just make you nuts (like now! :) )

Don't let it mess with your head.

And home scales are not completely accurate. I can weigh myself, go to the men's room, and weigh again 2 pounds heavier not even 10 minutes later knowing full well that I'm carrying around less.

Do you still get your period? I gain 4 lbs around that time of the month and when it's finished the 4 lbs plus another 2lbs are gone.

Yeah, if you are someone that will let it discourage you...stay away from the scale. If you stick with your healthy diet it will come off.

I love weighing myself for some reason..lol So Sometimes I weight twice a day, just for kicks and it will seriously vary +/- 6 to 8 lbs from morning to night.

You are doing awesome...just keep it up and stay away from the scale! :))

~A

Check the batteries in your scale if it's digital! Mine get REALLY erratic when the batteries get low.

Don't worry! It's a fluke!

Good luck with your surgery on the 12th New Woman. I hav e not received a surgery date but love reading all the info here. Just not eating when you are so mad....wow that is an acomplishment!

:tt2: yeah, I know how it feels...

I went to my surgeon for weigh in last month, after losing about 12 lbs... and I step on their supercalibrated scale and I was about 8 lbs up!!! I could tell the surgeon was thinking I was cheating on my strict diet, and though I did little things (some corn nuts here or there) I was NOT cheating... then days later, I was down 10 lbs!!!

So I have been eating a lot of asparagus and drinking about 3 cups of tea a day, and that Water retention has not been the problem that it was. Albeit, at the weight I am at, there must be gallons of fluids in my tissues... one day the cat accidentally poked a claw into my shin, no blood, but while I sat at the computer I felt something dripping onto my foot, and it was water... I figured it was sweat. So I sat back to read Lapband Talk and I felt drops going down my lower leg, finally I looked and it was Water drops coming out of the little puncture wound. How bizarre is that?!? :mellow:

But it got me to consider water retention to be the problem and judging by the scale (and I use my 153-154 lb brother to calibrate that it is not insanely off since he does not fluctuate much at all) it is, now that I am using commonly found natural diuretics. It makes the dieting easier to handle to see steady results. But if you are on an all liquid diet, you may only get to have the tea if it is allowed, but maybe if you get a certain amount of veggies you can sub. asparagus in if you like it. :laugh:

I've been on my liquid diet for 13 days and lost most of my weight the first week. Now that I'm in the final stretch the weight loss seems to have leveled off. My surgery is on the 12th, so I'm hoping my doctor is still happy with what I've lost so far. Honestly, this diet has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, one day I'm doing great and the next I'm craving everything in site. Good luck with your surgery and try to stay focused on the diet and not the scale.< /p>

I've been on my liquid diet for 13 days and lost most of my weight the first week. Now that I'm in the final stretch the weight loss seems to have leveled off. My surgery is on the 12th, so I'm hoping my doctor is still happy with what I've lost so far. Honestly, this diet has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, one day I'm doing great and the next I'm craving everything in site. Good luck with your surgery and try to stay focused on the diet and not the scale.

Good luck to you! I'm also having surgery on the 12th. I've had the same results, most of the weight loss has been in the first week. My body has since readjusted since Sunday. I think I was just having a "fat" day that day since I hadn't done anything different. I seem to be holding steady with 12 lbs. weight loss for my pre-op diet, which is fine with me if it is fine with my surgeon. Again, best of luck to you tomorrow.