Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They asked me to speak

at the support group. My dietician seems to think I'm this super star. I don't know what I would say. I feel like I would be hypocritical because I am losing but my "program" is not the dr recommended. I am eating carbs and all kinds of things.

What would you do?

Since it's the dietitian, I'd probably graciously decline, unless it was ok for me to be honest.

at the support group. My dietician seems to think I'm this super star. I don't know what I would say. I feel like I would be hypocritical because I am losing but my "program" is not the dr recommended. I am eating carbs and all kinds of things.

What would you do?

But lil'froggy......you are a superstar! Look at your numbers! You freakin' rock! I'm not totally clear on the nature of the gig, but usually these things are not much more than a pep -rally "I did it, so can you" inspirational type of affair.....so I would go for it if I were you. If anybody asks any heavy nutritional advice, you can always punt the question away with a "That would probably be a better question for our professional". Go for it. Maybe you can inspire some people that really need some inspiration.

I was asked to speak at one of the information nights and I felt awkward because really, I *did* defy average statistics in weight loss, and I wasnt sure I would be motivation, instead I felt I might come across as some kind of pratt.

I also didnt feel good about having been banded at a BMI of 35 and "preaching" to people with BMI's of 50 and above about how fantastic running is. I just thought I'd be like the skinny chick fishing for complements when she says "I'm faaaaaaat". I dont feel I can understand morbid obesity, I share a lot of the general publics biases and misguided beliefs because I have never BEEN morbidly obese.

So I declined. It wasnt convenient for me anyway really with how late Doug gets home from work and how far I had to go.

But that doesnt mean you should. It just depends if you really want to do it or not. Do you feel you have a lot to share that will help? I felt I did but my sharing is more of the tough love variety and I know how badly that sometimes goes down here, I didnt feel like facing it in real life, roflmao!

I don't have to do it this time. I can wait a month or so and give myself some time to think about what I would say. By the way Jaqui, I started RUNNING! I know why you love it! It's hard work but when you're done it feels great.

I was asked to speak as well and I did. I guess I am proud of the hard work i've done and my accomplishment so far. I wasn't asked any specific nutritional information, mostly people asked me how I felt after the surgery and what the fills feel like. I spoke after the doctor's had already given their presentation. I know when I went to their initial seminar they had people speak and it was nice to hear a view from someone who had been there and hear their experiences. That was basically what I was there for when I spoke, was to share my experience. I think you should do it, it seems every doctor prefers a different diet plan, mine is a strict doctor and always says she prefers me to not have white..potatoes..rice..bread and carbs that are not good for me, but basically always says to make sure what I am putting in my mouth counts and is of good nutritional value. Regardless, you have done a great job, you should feel proud of yourself and share your success.

I was asked to speak at one of the information nights and I felt awkward because really, I *did* defy average statistics in weight loss, and I wasnt sure I would be motivation, instead I felt I might come across as some kind of pratt.

I also didnt feel good about having been banded at a BMI of 35 and "preaching" to people with BMI's of 50 and above about how fantastic running is. I just thought I'd be like the skinny chick fishing for complements when she says "I'm faaaaaaat". I dont feel I can understand morbid obesity, I share a lot of the general publics biases and misguided beliefs because I have never BEEN morbidly obese.

So I declined. It wasnt convenient for me anyway really with how late Doug gets home from work and how far I had to go.

But that doesnt mean you should. It just depends if you really want to do it or not. Do you feel you have a lot to share that will help? I felt I did but my sharing is more of the tough love variety and I know how badly that sometimes goes down here, I didnt feel like facing it in real life, roflmao!

Over and over again I enjoy reading your posts and I think you are very honest and clear when expressing yourself!

Also I think you rock and are an inspiration to myself and so many others - so what if you weren't the typical weight loss success story? (you really have defied the average) You have done what many of us can't wait to do and it is great to have you on this board sharing your successes and doling out your tough love!

I only hope some day I get asked to speak lol - now that would be a feat!

Yes, you should speak. Be honest. You do not have to go into detail. Aim your remarks at the newer banders. We struggle every day. Older banders know how hard it is to stick to the rules to the letter. The(y) (newbies) have to stick to steps right after surgery to get band set properly. For the rest of our lifes we will try to avoid strecthing our new stomach out shape. Were all just learning this new life style of ours. The more we learn, we find the more we need to learn. You are successfull! You should be very proud of your success! Good Luck, Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

What would you do?

Go for it. It is an honor to be asked. And when you do present your story to the group, speak from your heart.

Over and over again I enjoy reading your posts and I think you are very honest and clear when expressing yourself!

Also I think you rock and are an inspiration to myself and so many others - so what if you weren't the typical weight loss success story? (you really have defied the average) You have done what many of us can't wait to do and it is great to have you on this board sharing your successes and doling out your tough love!

I only hope some day I get asked to speak lol - now that would be a feat!

I agree 100%. Jacqui's posts are very balanced, informative, and helpful - and her amazing success support her words. I always learn from and appreciate her comments. :thumbup:

Lil froggy - If the clinic knows that you follow a different eating regime, and still invited you, then I'd do it. I would, as Plain suggested, defer specific questions such as 'Can I eat lasagna ever again" to the medical team; but if they ask you if you have had food a b or c, some response such as "I chose this surgery so that I could eat all things in moderation" would be appropriate.

It's an honor, and you might inspire others who feel that they couldn't do it.

Go for it.

Edited by tapshoes
typo