Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help with Conflicting Info About Diet

So I went in for my 1 week pre-op appt. with my surgeon, who wasn't there because he'd been called out for emergency surgery. But the surgeon that saw thought everything was fine. I asked to speak to the nurse/ assistant mty surgeons office because I had some questions about when I could start solid foods. I told her I has started mushies/ pureed food and she was confused. She asked me who told me I could do that I and explained that when I was in the hospital the nutritionist saw me twice and gave me pamphlets about my diet. The nutritionist said clear lig. 1 week then mushy/ pureed for 2 weeks. The nurse / asst. said thats not the program the surgeon follows he recommends clear liq. 2 weeks. But she said she guessed if I was tolerateing mushy than okay but I should be cautious. Has anyone else had this protocol (clear 1 wk, then mushy) should I go back, although I don't think I could have done clear liq. another week, I could baerly tolerate them anymore anyway. I just need to here what others think.

I was on Clear Liquids for the first week, full liquids for the second week, mushies the third and fourth week and am now going to soft solids.

It varies from doctor to doctor. Just be sure you are doing what you doctor wants and you will be ok.

Clear Liquids first four days, full liquids for two weeks, mushies week three and four, soft foods five and six. I would call your nutritionist to make sure. Although it is hard, I would be cautious and do what the more conservative of the two say just to be safe. Good luck!

I had clear liquids for one day (the day of surgery only) then more varied liquids thickening up over a 3 week period as I could tolerate. Then 2 weeks mushies, then cautiously onto solids.

If you've done clear liquids for 1 week, then other liquids, you'll be absolutely fine. What youv'e done may not be exactly what the nurse thought protocol was FOR THIS SURGEON but its well within the normal instructions and I wouldnt waste a second worrying. And she's right, if you've had no discomfort, you'll be OK.

You really only need to worry about cheating and eating solid food too early.

Day 1-2 Clear liquids

Day 3-14 Full liquids

Day 15-21 Mushy/Pureed food

After that, solid foods.

Edited by jmegirl

This is a really silly question but what is the difference between clear liquids and full liquids?

My dietician told me to use as a guide but let my body tell me when to move on to next phase. He said liquids for between 1 and 3 weeks depending on how you feel then move onto pureed then mashed then soft then solid by 6-8 weeks.

This is a really silly question but what is the difference between clear liquids and full liquids?

My dietician told me to use as a guide but let my body tell me when to move on to next phase. He said liquids for between 1 and 3 weeks depending on how you feel then move onto pureed then mashed then soft then solid by 6-8 weeks.

Straight from my surgeon's mouth - Clear liquids are anything you could look through and still read a newspaper. Apple juice, crystal light, tea, cranberry juice, chicken broth, Jello. Full liquids are every other kind of liquid! Give me a few minutes and I'll find my post-op paperwork and give you better examples.

santhony, perhaps you should suggest to your surgeon that he and the nutritionist get on the same page regarding post-op diet instructions. That's unnecessary confusion for you, and for who knows how many other patients of his.

Straight from my post-op paperwork:

Examples of clear liquids:

• fruit juices w/o pulp (except citrus juices)
  • gelatin
  • fruit ice (sorbet)
  • popsicle w/o pulp
  • clear hard candy, coffee
  • tea, water
  • bouillon
  • consommé fat-free broth

Examples of full liquids include any foods that could fit through a straw, although, DO NOT USE A STRAW:

• non-fat milk
  • non-fat smoothies
  • low-fat custard
  • low-fat pudding
  • sugar-free hot chocolate
  • all vegetable juices
  • all juice (except citrus)
  • cooked refined cereals (farina, grits, oatmeal, cream of rice, cream of wheat)
  • strained soups
  • pureed meats thinned with broth
  • coffee
  • sugar-free tea
  • sugar-free non-carbonated beverages
  • broth, bouillon
  • strained creamed Soups.

Most surgeons say no straws because you take in more air when you use a straw, and air bubbles in your pouch can cause burping and also make your pouch swell, which is bad I guess.

Apparently, drinking through a straw causes you to take in too much air. It has never been a problem for me though - I don't find that I burp more when using a straw than when I don't.

For me, it was one day Clear Liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks anything you can crush with a fork. What I hate is that my doctor won't do a fill until 8 weeks post op, so basically 4 weeks regular food.

On the straw thing, I'm 5 weeks post op today and I have trouble drinking from a straw. Maybe I'm just drinking too fast.