Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Honest, ARE YOU HAPPIER??

Okay, let me give you some history on my band. I was banded in OCT 07 by Doctor Givens in Columbia S.C.. The procedure went fine, I actually played golf 4 days later.

My starting weight was 345. My current weight after 3 fills is 343. I know AWESOME, right? I feel hardly no restriction. Every now and then something will get stuck and my mouth will start to get bile in it and I start burping, other then that I feel nothing.

I'M SCARED TO GET ANOTHER FILL!! WANT TO KNOW WHY?

The Answer: I came on this site and saw all of these horror stories! My band is slipping, I can only eat yougurt, everything i eat gets stuck, Im throwing up all the time, the doctor poked a hole in my tube, im not losing weight, im not happy.

ARE WE HAPPIER BEING FAT?

What I understood when I got the band is that when its filled properly, that I would be able to eat from a 1/4 cup to a 1/2 a cup of food. That I would lose weight slowly and feel healthy.

I want to eat NORMAL food ( not JUNK ) and be able to feel full quicker, but from what I read it doesnt sound like thats what going to happen.

I feel like this: WILL I BE A HAPPIER PERSON AT 343 OR DO I WANT TO BE 230 AND THROWING UP ALL THE TIME AND LOOKING LIKE DEATH B/C IM NOT GETTING THE Vitamins I NEED.

Let me know what u think!

Brad A.

First let me say that I worked in customer service for years and I believe there is much truth to the saying "You only here from unsatisfied customers". So while I think there are a lot of people who post about not being able to eat, or throwing up, I think are a large number of happy people.

Part of satisfying their customers is managing their expectations, which I think a large number of doctors are NOT doing. I discussed with my doctor his approach of taking fills slowly so that I would be able to eat every type of food.

I too am at 3 fills and have used the time to educate myself in terms of what a portion is, what should we eat in a day, etc, etc and adding exercise. I am down about 65 pounds since surgery and 85 in total.

Am I happier, you bet. If I did nothing else then add a year or two to my life. Have I thrown up - only the 2 times I have eaten faster then any human should! Lesson learned.

As for your situation, I am sorry you have only lost 2 pounds. I would discuss it with your doctor/nutritionist, including your concerns. Start tracking what you eat in a day ( I always hated when people would recommend this - but it really helps)

I too am defanitely happier. I have lost 57lbs to date. I have also had episodes of PB's but only due to eating inappropriately. If I stick to the guidelines given I have no problems. I wouldn't change it for the world. I would defanitely discuss your situation in detail with your doctor. I wonder if your getting the type of support you should be from the medical staff. Yes there are alot of people who have had issues but I think most of them would say it is probably because they didn't follow the guidelines and the ones who did are the exception. Good luck to you and hopefully you will find what will make you happy!!!!

Brad,

Most successful people do not have the problems you've stated in your post. I don't throw up all of the time. MAYBE once a week... or less. Seriously. And I don't look like death from lack of Vitamins. I eat a balanced diet... and take a multi and I look HOT if I say so myself (Hey, I'd pick me up! lol). Most of the people on the board are people who are fairly new to the band so they are just learning, or they've encountered a problem, so they come here for help... Most banded people go on their merry way and don't really think about it.

Here's the thing so many people don't talk about enough... the SWEET SPOT. Once you get there, you're not thinking of food all the time. No more planning your next meal... This is the beauty of the band, and with another fill or two, I hope you discover it.

A lot of people on this board become OCD with their band. They over do it. They over question. They over fill. It is all about balance... and once you find that place, you'll wonder why it took you so long to go there.

Good luck...

Wow! Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I too was banded by Dr. Givens two weeks ago. So far I have lost 12 pounds! I think you need to email Emily, the nutritionist, and talk to her about what is going on. I have had lots of questions so far and everyone in the office has been very friendly and helpful. I would hate to see you give up after having come so far on the journey for weight loss.

I have had five five fills since being banded six months ago and the only problem I had was being a little too tight on my last fill, I got a slight unfill and problem solved. I do not eat yogurt, drink shakes or miss out on good food. I eat normal food and more than 1/4-1/2 cup per meal. I do not count calories, I do not measure or weigh my food, I do not keep diaries, I do not live on liquids and mushies, I am rarely hungry and I don't throw up or have indigestion. I am healthy and I get plenty of nutrition. In other words I am living a very normal life with the band.

Furthermore, I see a ton of people on this site that are sucess stories. Yes there are people with issues and questions and they come here for support and guidance but if they take the advice and do what is right the majority of them are able to get back on track.

I can tell you that I was not happier being fat. I feel healthier, empowered, energetic, in control and I am looking great. I am already off my presciption, I sleep better at night and I have no back and knee pain. I can walk and run and climb stairs without a problem.

You didn't even give the band a chance. It typcially takes a minimum of four fills to start making it work.

Edited by Jodi_620

I truly believe that those of us who are most successful do not continue to participate on this board after they reach goal. They go on with their lives. The band is no longer the center of their lives. My participation here has decreased hugely since I came close to goal. And yes, I'm happier. I'm happier with myself. I enjoy social events much more. I get a charge out of meeting men and having them flirt a little with me. My personality has opened up quite a bit, because I am not fearful of strangers judging me for my weight.

I eat normal food, even pizza sometimes, but I have ONE small slice and often don't finish it. Once in a while, maybe once a month, I might throw up because I ate too fast or too much, but it isn't a big deal to me. I just slap myself upside my head and say, "that was stupid." I have pretty much learned how to eat sensibly with the band.

My husband needed five fills before he hit good restriction, and my daughter has had about six. It really sounds to me that you need one or two more fills before you can say the band doesn't work, or start rationalizing that you would be more miserable thin than you are fat. I realize I'm being a bit blunt, but I think you need to do some self examination and figure out how to be your own best friend and do what you need to do to be happy with yourself and your band. I wish you well.

YES YES YES I AM HAPPIER!! food no longer dictates my every thought. I am not craving junk any more. I eat to live. I enjoy what I eat but for some reason am turned off by the bad stuff. I was very fortunate that my first fill hit my sweet spot. I was absolutely miserable ate 250. I couldnt get off the couch with out a strain. I couldnt walk to the mail box without feeling like I was going to die. Now I can do 60 minutes of aerobics and feel energized. I only got sick once and that was because I didn't follow the rules and eat much more after my body told me to stop. I love the band and can't sing its praises enough. Good luck to you on you journey.

Much happier. I've never had any of those problems. You sound like you just need more fills. I got restriction immediately, started losing immediately, DH has taken 4 fills to get there and start losing. Everyone is different.

I am SO MUCH HAPPIER!! Like many of the others said, you see more problems on here than success stories. I have been banded for 4 1/2 months. I get the stuck feeling sometimes, but I have only thrown up once(because I didn't chew enough). Most people do not throw up constantly. I suggest you get another fill. You seem to have waited a very long time in between. I have seen people who it takes them a year or so to get to their sweet spot. You need to get fills in order to find it. If you feel no restriction, go get a fill. Just make sure that if you do start to throw up frequently, that you tell your doc and get a slight unfill. Talk with your doctor. This will take a lot of communication.

I'm happy my band is tight and that's fine with me ...its not forever losing and maintaining are very different things I hope when I'm done losing I can have it unfilled a bit...yes I'm very happy stop letting food control u...I'm wearing size 6 jeans I have been this small since high school.

Yes, I am happier, not because I lost alot of weight so far, just in that I know I have hope. I think some people have issues and blame anything to avoid the reality of a situation. I think anyone who needs this procedure and was able to have it done should be grateful and do anything they can to improve their lives... Sounds like some people hide behind any excuse rather than to face the fact that they just dont want to do what is needed to achieve a healthy weight. I am so glad people in this forum share good and bad experiences, it is such a help to know what possibly can happen and what great goals can be achieved. Thats my 2 cents worth:blushing:

Thanks for all the reply's. Jodi your reply hit the nail on the head for me, so I called the doctors office and made an app. to get another fill.

Thank You :wub:

Brad A. :whatchutalkingabout

Obviously the people that are happy are those who the band is working for. As the other poster said if you're having problems losing weight you need to speak with your surgeon about it. I could not live with the band as it was and the comps I got with it but others seem to do well, it maybe a crap shoot but it's up to you and your doc to figure out. Good luck Nancy.