Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:crying:This my first day of my pre-op diet and I know I'm allowed a lot compared to most but DAMN this is really hard! I'm dealing with head hunger and it sucks! Anyone have any advice?! Help if I'm having such a hard time on day 1 how can I get through a week of this!:thumbup: HELP,HELP, HELP!!

First off hang in there you CAN do it . Second off look at it this way .. its ONLY a week . Some people have to do 2, 3, 4.

What is a week of discomfort for the rest of your life ?

What are you allowed to eat ? what is your post op diet ? is it liquids ?

MIndy

Think of this as an opportunity. An opportunity to heal, to maintain and continue to lose weight. And focus on the future weight loss you are going to have because of your new friend. It will ALL be worth it. Remind yourself of that. I had the head hunger, and focused on what I just told you. That is now just a distant memory and I am so glad I stuck with it.

If you don't stick with the diet your liver may not shrink enough and you could wake up from surgery without a band. I say stick to the diet your doctor gave you.

If you don't stick with the diet your liver may not shrink enough and you could wake up from surgery without a band. I say stick to the diet your doctor gave you.

Could not agree more .

Its only a week , Its easier to deal w/ after surgery , But your almost through the first day !

I picked up a few hobbies to occupy my mind when my mind thought "Hey...hey you....pick up something yummy!!!" lol. I started going to Bingo every Sunday (I'm always the youngest one there lol), I crochet when I feel like I could use something sweet, I picked up a good book, I copied recipes out of magazines into a spiral note book...anything that I could do that I liked so much it was hard to stop to take a break to eat...stick with the diet...What I did to curbe my head hunger was add a lot of ice to my Ease AdvantEDGE shakes and blend them to make my head think I was getting more than I was....drink lots and lots of water!!! I know it sucks but it is so so worth it!!! Good luck

Oh gosh, you are NOT alone! My pre op diet doesn't start until the 6th, it's 2 slim fasts and a frozen meal for 2 weeks! So I thought I would start prepping myself last week and I was miserable! It's really starting to make me question myself if I'm going to be able to do this at all. I miss food already and I haven't even had to give it up yet! I just keep telling myself that it's all worth it. It's been so long since I was happy with my size and weight that it's hard to imagine being like that again so my goal is feeling unattainable or impossible. Which is making food that much harder to resist because of the emotional eating. This is not the easy way out as so many people want to claim. We have to keep telling ourselves we can do this, because it's truth! but I'm open to any suggestions :thumbup:

My surgery is Thurs 10/30. I wouldn't be able to deal with the pre-op diet either - but I'm allowed and have become hooked on the low surgar Apples & Cinammon oatmeal by Quaker - I make it with FF milk. That and applesauce, and although I'm not supposed to, chicken and noodle Soup - I don't eat the bits of chicken. I am just not a soup eater, but this is the only kind I like. Since it's loaded with sodium, I am drinking plenty of Water and iced tea (with sweet & low). Also, anytime I want carbs - I eat FF saltine crackers. They've been a life saver! I bought some low sodium chicken broth for after the surgery, but I have to admit it SUCKS!

here are some recipes that have gotten me through I was finally banded on 9/26 I have lost 16 lbs but have lost nothing this week. I hope this helps

Creamsicle: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz Water + 1 scoop vanilla Protein powder + 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained + 2 skim milk ice cubes + 1 packet Splenda.

chocolate Cherry Delight: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz Water + 1 scoop chocolate Protein Powder + 3/4 cup frozen cherries + 2 skim milk ice cubes

Peanut Butter Cup: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop chocolate Protein Powder + 1 Tbsp. natural peanut butter

coffee Lovers Delight: Blend 8 oz skim milk + 1 scoop vanilla Protein powder + 2 skim milk ice cubes + 1 Tbsp. instant Decaf coffee + 1/2 tsp. vanilla + 1 packet Splenda

Mocha Java: Blend 8 oz skim milk + 1 scoop chocolate protein powder + 2 skim milk ice cubes + 1 Tbsp. instant decaf coffee + 1 packet Splenda

Almond Delight: Blend 8 oz skim milk + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 2 skim milk ice cubes + 1 Tbsp. instant decaf coffee + 1/2 tsp. almond extract + 1 packet Splenda

strawberry Shortcake: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1/2 cup frozen strawberries + 1 packet Splenda.

Gone Bananas: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + small frozen banana + 1 packet Splenda.(Hint: when bananas start to get brown spots, slice and store in freezer baggie for use in future smoothies)

My friend sent me these ideas and they are all fabulous

Mango Mama: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1/2 cup frozen mango cubes + 1/2 banana + ice

Eggnog Bliss: Blend 8 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + pinch of pumpkin pie spice or vanilla + 2 pinches allspice + 1/4 tsp. rum extract + 2 frozen skim milk cubes

Gingerbread Man: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1 graham cracker + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract + 2 frozen skim milk cubes I LOVE this one it taste like the season)

Pina Colada: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1/2 banana + 1 frozen OJ cube and 1 frozen pineapple juice cube + 1/4 tsp. coconut extract

Pumpkin Pie In the Sky: Blend 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt or skim milk + 4 oz water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1/2 cup canned pumpkin + 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice + 1/2 cup frozen butternut squash.This is a Winnner!!!

Super low cal Protein shake recipes

Dreamy Creamsicle: Blend 8 oz (flat) diet orange soda + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 4 frozen lowfat vanilla yogurt cubes (only 150 calories!)

Cherry Pie: Blend 8 oz (flat) diet cherry soda + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + ice (This one only has ~100 calories!)

It IS hard and very necessary. You will see, down the line, how important it was for you to do it, though. And once those pounds start coming off, you'll look back and it not regret it. Not to burst your bubble, but once the surgery is done, you're going ot have to do the post-op diet, too. I cried many times and just dreaded the darn TV commercials with all of the food. It is hard, but YOU CAN DO IT!!! Keep thinking skinny. You'll get through it. And this site has a lot of helpful hints and suggestions. I couldn't have done it without it!! Good luck!!! :thumbup:

I'm on day 4 of a 13 day ALL liquid pre-op diet, so I can sympathize with you. I can have 6 Protein Shakes per day, and all the FF broth, FF popsicles, and FF Jello I want; plus 64 oz minimum of Water. I am surviving by SCHEDULING my shakes every 3 hours (first one at 6 am, last one at 9 pm). I sip water constantly, and fill in between shakes with the other things. By planning and KNOWING when you'll have the next "meal" you can break your day into manageable segments. This is by no means easy, but it will be well worth it in the long run!! Good luck to you.

I feel like I'm a drug addict going through withdrawal. I'm such a bitch right now and I'm so tired even more than usual. I just hate feeling hungry! I never let myself feel hungry before and I hate it. Thanks for the support! I'm so frustrated with this and I just want to sink my teeth in something!

i want to tell you something completely diffrent from anyone here,its been 5 months after my surgery,i've lost 60 pounds so far,and feel great,but before my surgery,i had to be on liquids for a week,i tried i couldnt do it,and i enjoyed every last day before my surgery,i ate my favorite foods,i just couldnt suffer,i knew that after surgery i will be disciplined and follow all instructions,but before just enjoy