Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need someone to spend the night after surgery?

I am traveling to Dallas for surgery. I am checking into a hotel the day before and planning to stay in it for at least four days after surgery. I will not have anyone with me. Should I? Do I need to have someone stay with me?

My doctor would not release me without a person to take me home. They had to sign that someone would be with me. Honestly I really didn't need someone but I think they feel that it is safer after any surgery to have someone with you. Talk to your doctor to be safe. Good luck!

My surgeon insisted I had someone with me for 48 hours , just incase any problems more due to the general a/setic .

My sister stayed over , its nice just to have someone there .

good luck on ya surgery x

best wishes from the uk

Sas x

Good Morning, I just got my band the 12th of Sept - please please do not go alone - you will definatley need someone who can help you out - DO NOT DO IT ALONE if you are going to be in a hotel room - I took my Best Friend who has an awesome bed side manner - and we were in a hospital friday sat and sunday and then flew home - the fly was the worst make sure you have a wheel chair waiting for you if you are flying - she was there at ever moment and was also able to help me learn what is going to heppen to you and can help you out along your jouney - the first night was the worst and I had alot of pain from the gas - she walked with me every moment I needed to - and was there to give me pain meds - now the pain is not that bad but it will be there - also make sure you take alot of xtra strength GAS X chewables with you for you will need them!!!! - also the next day you will be feeling alot better but you will have your moments - you will be getting pains in your neck from the gas (horrible but bearable - you will need a heating pad - and you will have to walk walk walk - burp and fart as much as you can it will help - but again please do not go alone I beg you - please stay in touch with me I will help all I can - this is a learning experience - All my best Amy

It is safer to have someone for a day or two just in case you have a complication, but if everything is normal . . . you don't "need" someone but it is nice to have.

Staying in a hotel for 4 days recovering might be a little boring without someone near, but you will be sleeping alot during the first days. To be honest with you, nothing is better than home for me when I am not feeling my best because my family will help with everything.

My husband had to sign papers when i was being released that he was responsible for me. Also, my lap band experience hasn't been as easy as most on this board. I had a slight complication during surgery, the surgeon couldn't get my bleeding to stop when they closed me up so they had to sew onto my muscle all around the incision. I was in extreme pain so i had to stay in the recovery room and the hospital way longer than expected. I came out of surgery around 3:00 and didn't go home till around 7:00. My doctor told me i was going to be hurting more than normal for a while. My husband had to take the next day off from work 'cause i couldn't get up by myself and i needed alot of help. I don't know what i would have done without him! It has taken me exactly 1 month to not have alot of pain when bending over. So you never know if you may not be as lucky as others. Don't mean to scare you, just saying that it is always better to be prepared. Just wanted to give a different view for you to consider. Good luck!