Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie in IN with a question

Hello All,

My name is Erin and I'm 23 years old. I'm currently almost 300lbs and I'm 5'5" ... About 2 years ago I was 180 lbs (after losing about 50 lbs through diet and exersize) then I met my soon to be husband...got married... and gained all my weight back, plus more! I've been considering weight-loss sugery for a long time, but I never thought anyone would take me seriously, or they would look at me as if I hadn't tried.

I don't want to lie... I do not get to exersize but once a week anymore, nor do I eat as healthy as I used to. However, I am newly married, broke as a joke (healthy food is expensive!) and I was working 40 hours a week and going to school. Now, I have graduated from school and I just recently lost the best job I have ever had (and my insurance).

My husband and I are wanting to have a child soon, but I just can't see myself getting pregnant and gaining MORE weight than I am already carrying. It makes me a little sick just thinking about it! I also have very abnormal periods so I don't even know if I can have kids right now because of my weight! (Although, they were just as abnormal when I was down to 180lbs.)

My Question:

I was wondering if anyone had any insite on how I could go about affording weight-loss surgery. I will probably try to get on my husband's Tri-Care (Military) insurance if I do not find a new job soon, but I am afraid they will not cover it because I may be overweight but I have no serious medical issues (so far) because of it. Or I would try for his current job's insurance (he's in the National Guard) but I do not want to take anymore money out of his paycheck then we already have to. We are also in the process of filing for bankruptcy ... so I can't do much about it just yet. But I want to get as much information as possible while I have the free time.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Erin

at 5'5" and 300, your BMI is about 49.9. it has to be at least 40 for insurance to cover you without other medical conditions caused by your weight. i'm sure you will research surgery with the thoughts of getting pregnant before and after. and, doctors will have some good advice for you, also. good luck

I know tri care covers it!! Theres boards on here with people strictly with tri care and ive seen that they do cover it! good luck with ur journey

Erin-

Tricare does cover all of the cost so I would do that. I only had to pay $100 for admin fees and that was it. Look into it, it will be the best thing you can do for yourself. Good luck!

another thing ... Tricare only wants you to have a BMI greater than 45 I think that # is correct. Any health issue do help them to make the deciding factor but BMI is the biggest for them. Call them they will tell you all of their requirements.

Thanks!!! That's great to know! I really appreciate it :)