Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checked your 401k Lately?

Dow suffers biggest point drop in history, falling nearly 778 points in reaction to House vote rejecting economic rescue.

Amidst all of this, somehow I forgot to check my 401k in the past couple of months.

What a shock I was in for. Normally I hover between -3 to -6% down.

Today? -20%

I'm a little nauseated. :cool2:

Ugh, I think I will avoid looking at mine then. Denial is bliss.

Ugh, I think I will avoid looking at mine then. Denial is bliss.

not looking - not looking - not looking. i'm good w/denial in a LOT of areas in my life and the scale is included.

rebound will happen - move away from your portfolio & ignore. you can't control it -... so take a blissful walk & come back at a later date in time.

SO glad i sold - so glad i sold in certain areas......rebound will take place - always does.

Amidst all of this, somehow I forgot to check my 401k in the past couple of months.

What a shock I was in for. Normally I hover between -3 to -6% down.

Today? -20%

I'm a little nauseated. :cool2:

Why? You aren't planning on retiring, are you? Ever.....

Hah, I am putting so much in my 401k, I planned to retire early. Looks like I may end up working forever with the way it's going!

My 401k is okay. I've lost some theoretical money, but I've still got more in there than I put in.

If you know you have a good asset allocation, you need to ride out these kinds of market downturns. It's absolutely the wrong time to sell, that's for sure.

Oh definitely, right now I want to buy all I can.. but what I've bought in the past year, I feel ripped off on. I am actually down 20% total from the money I have put in. Going backward. I have 35 years or so to have the economy straighten itself back out.

I have 35 years or so to have the economy straighten itself back out.

sure hope it happens before then:wink:

when i sold - it was rental property (hated being a landlord). i felt so bad that 2 of our families lost their jobs & just couldn't pay rent - but after 6 months of no payment; we just off loaded the properties.

just a sad time all around & i have my fingers crossed that hubby made smart moves w/the financials - because i'm a really bad poker player.

Although it may be depressing for you, you do have time on your side. For those of us on the other side of the big 50...it's a different story. Like Jack, my 'retirement' funds have been beaten up through a few economic 'policies' (that makes it sound as though there was government thinking involved....hahahaha). Maybe in a box under the bed isn't such a bad plan!

I inherited a bunch o bucks from my mum. This allowed me to take a very early retirement. I hope I am not going to end up eating cat food for the next 30 years. Oh, yuck!

As of today, mine is down 28.1 %!:lol: But like MacMadame said, I still have more in it than I've put in it though.