Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't stop coughing! Help!!

Hello! I had my surgery on Sept. 23rd and overall I am doing fine besides this horrible cough!! I've been told that sometimes when you are intibated/ventilated? it causes the throat to be sore but I never thought I would cough this much. I can't stop!! Then after much coughing it starts to hurt my stomach because it is still sore.

Also what about gas pains in your shoulder? Only on my left side I am having serious pains. From my shoulder to my waist, mainly the shoulder. When should I expect this to go away?

By the way....I have never smoked!!

Thanks,

Anjie

Ladybug.... did you get and incentive spirometer to use?? It helps make sure you are breathing deeply and opening up your lungs. When you have surgery your lungs partially go to sleep and it is important that you are taking slow deep breaths to open your lungs back up..

I would suggest if the coughing is persistent call your doctor and let him know what is going on...best of luck.. i hope you start getting relief soon :lol:

I feel for you! I am three weeks post op and finally have stopped coughing. I thought this only happened to me because I have had problems with bronchitis in the past. I have found that having the tube down my throat during surgery caused lots of irritation and dryness in my throat. The only thing that helped me is cough drops and lots of liquids. I am sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

There are a few reasons you could be coughing. The body needs to get rid of the aggravation of the anesthesia and if not coughing hard enough to dislodge it can make it worse. Holding a pillow tight against the stomach while taking a deep breath to stimulate the coughing will help with the discomfort. Another reason could be some Fluid in your lungs developing. The doctor should check for that. If a lozenge isn't helping see your Dr. The shoulder and side pain sound like gas pains from the CO2 used during surgery. Gas ex or something similar helped mine dissipate. Feel better.

I just want you to know youuare not alone. I was banded 9/22 and have been coughing too. I feel like I will pop a stitch or something i cough so hard. usually if i get a drink and walk around it subsides, but it is no fun. Hold a pillow on your stomach when you cough and for some reason it doesn't feel as awful. This can't last forever right?? :lol:

Oh- I thought the shoulder pain would be gone by now and am very surprised that is still lingering!! I would love to know the answer to that as well. For now it is just taking tylenol and walking ....

Do you cough both sitting up and laying down? I had my surgery 09/25 and have noticed if I lay down on my back, I end up coughing. Of course, it hurts to cough, so I wake up. I have tried to holding the pillow to make it more comfortable to cough, but it doesn't really work for me.

I also had a cough after surgery for about 10 days, i would get this tickle in the back of my throat, and it would not go away, i would cough so hard i was sure i was doing damage, Dr told me as long as you are not vomiting you wont damage your band. i also lived on cough drops, and sipped fluids all day.