Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low profile port revision:)

Well, after much discussion and worry with my surgeon I am having a lap band port revision.

I am happy with this even though it will be on November 19th - only 5 months after my original surgery- you see, my port bonks against my ribs causing me considerable pain.

So, we have the day and the insurance will pay - thank god. I will be out from the 19th of November until the Friday after Thanksgiving and then of course I will have that weekend as well.

I am finally at a point with only 2 fills where I have great restriction and am finally losing weight, I will be all set after this surgery is competed.

Wish me luck and feel free to tell me about your port revision :smile2:

That's great that insurance is paying!

Yes, I am very lucky and thankful :tongue2:

So is the port you have now a low profile or is that what it's being replaced with? I too am looking at revision surgery, possible the end of this week, for the same reason. I was wondering if the surgeon (though I haven't asked him yet) would replace it with a low profile one as I've read where some people have the regular one replaced with a low profile one after they lose so much weight. I've only lost about 45 lbs so far, but I don't want to have more surgery than absolutely necessary, so maybe he will do it now.???

Hi, I am going to be getting surgery to have the low profile put in. It can't hurt to talk to your doctor about it, hopefully it will go well :crying: You have lost a lot weight! I am envious.

Oh wow...someone I can relate to...Question....my port is about 2 inches below my boobs & I've only had 2 fills that were quite painful, pushing on ribcage, etc. I have complained & will most likely be begging for a revision soon as I am sore for 4 or 5 days after each fill from all the poking & pinching & manuevering. Did you have to "insist" on a revision? I have mentioned it before & my fill person just kinda brushes me off. I keep asking why my port is so high & she said it depended on how big my circumfrance ws when the dr started surgery. I weighed 204 at surgery so I know there are lap band people out there bigger than me that have their portsalot further down. I guess I just never thought to ask "where will you put my port?" All I can say is Ladies, ask your dr where your port will be because if its near the bra line, you will HATE IT! This has been a very frustrating experience for me. My surgery date was 7/15 & I hope to get a revision soon. This is very uncomfortable. I have spent a small fortune on bras trying to find one that doesnt hurt.

Well, after much discussion and worry with my surgeon I am having a lap band port revision.

I am happy with this even though it will be on November 19th - only 5 months after my original surgery- you see, my port bonks against my ribs causing me considerable pain.

So, we have the day and the insurance will pay - thank god. I will be out from the 19th of November until the Friday after Thanksgiving and then of course I will have that weekend as well.

I am finally at a point with only 2 fills where I have great restriction and am finally losing weight, I will be all set after this surgery is competed.

Wish me luck and feel free to tell me about your port revision :)

Hi there :smile2:

No I luckily didn't have to insist at all - They thought I had a hernia or a flipped port when I started complaining of the pain, so once they figured out it wasn't either of those things they almost seemed relieved and happy to find out it was just too large of a port.

Mine sits below my right rib cage, I am a short person and that part of my body from ribs to hip bone is very short as well.

Your port sounds really painful! I hope they get you taken care of and in good shape :laugh:

I think this is exactly what I need done! I cant deal with the pain anymore! Did you have the procedure, did it fix it!??!

Yes, I had it done November 19,2008 and it did take care of the pain and I feel great!

How long was the recovery? Do you still have a "tummy tumor" from the old port?

I had it done on a Wednesday went back to work 8 days later, I don't know what a tummy tumor is -?

The giant bump on my right side that protrudes is what I generally refer to as my "tummy tumor". Because I didnt tell anyone about the band thats what it is affectionately referred to as. :-)

LOL, no I don't have one of those - I actually did have a fatty tumor though years ago that I had to have removed right near where my port is now - funny enough :thumbup:

So, I went ahead and had the revision. It was fully covered by my insurance (I was concerned because I have lost all my excess weight) and am very pleased. The "tummy tumor" ridiculous bump is completely gone and despite prodding I cant find the low profile port even though I know its there! I have one incision that went through the old scar. Love it! The surgery was still rough and the pain was similar to getting the band initially but I'd do it again in a second!

How are you doing now? I am scheduled for a revision due to a slipped band next month and I'm worried! I've lost of my weight now, about 20 pounds to go but want to lose the next 20 and stay there. Thanks for letting me know!