Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

okay here;s my story I have never had a thyroid problem till now! my doctor said its sooo low and very unusual,she has started me on medication,she said this may be part of the reason why i am not losing very fast, i guess my question is there anyone here with a low thyroid? and isnt it weird that after all these years of being tested for thyroid problem, now it shows up? seems like the healthier i try to become the more ailments im getting LOL , i know none of you are doctors but any input would be great.

Actually, hypothyroid is most common in older women (50 and older) so you're a little young, but it's not so odd that you didn't have it before. Once you get your drug dosage adjusted you'll feel better, your hair and skin will improve, your sleep and mood will improve, and your weight loss will improve.

I have a super low thyroid count when not taking my thyroid replacement meds. I also have anti-thyroid antibodies which developed after having a bad staph infection folowing my hysterectomy (4 days in hospital and 3 blown veins later). I will be taking this prescription the rest of my life. I was told it would not be affected (at least not much) by having the surgery but, it would also not prevent me from having the surgery.

I have hypothyroidism so ur not alone....it will take us longer to lose but it will be worth it..are u on synthroid ?? ive been on it for 4 yrs and take 100mcg a day(high dose) ive been regulated since i had my son...1st pregnancy i had was a miscarriage due to my thyroid thats how they found out i had a problem...but im doin good so far...good luck

I've had a low thyroid since I was 23, so it's been almost 30 years. I felt really awful before I was diagnosed and I felt better within a couple of days after starting meds. The difference will be amazing.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 11. I have always had trouble losing weight and keeping it off. I am currently on 250 mcg, but they're going to have to get me back up to 300. My mom had hers removed when she was 34. As long as you get the right level of meds and keep it where it needs to be you should be good. All the women in my family have it. You need to make sure that you get it checked as often as your doctor tells you to though, because weight can play a big part in what dose you need. :thumbup: good luck:thumbup:

so low thyroid makes you skin and hair bad, Is this also why i am so moody and sleepy all the time????!!! they started me at 75 mg a day. Will the weight start coming off more once Ive been taking the meds for awhile?

Guest Leslie2Lose

I was diagnosed about four years ago. I've been on synthroid ever since. It takes a couple of weeks to get into your system - and you'll need to get your bloodwork checked every month or so until they get you to where you need to be.

Mine was triggered after giving birth to my eldest daughter - whom is now 8. My hormones didn't return to normal and my thyroid slowed tremendously. Your thryoid controls your metabolism - which in turn affects your entire body. hair, skin, nails, mental capacity (I got really forgetful), weight, attitude (I turned into a bi***). Seriously I thought I was bi-polar for a while. Your body can produce too much and you'll be hyper or not enough hypo.

I was feeling really strange last week - had bad swelling in my ankles and felt light headed/dizzy. I went back to my doctor and they re-tested me. My level was too high. I hadn't had my blood tested in a few years (since it was regulated). Now that I'm 65 pounds down from my original testing - I didn't think of getting it rechecked. They had to lower my medication to get me regulated again. Once you are regulated - don't forget to get that checked yearly (with your physical) - it can change.

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago in my second year of law school. Anxiety attacks, low energy, ridiculously slow metabolism and quite a bit of weight gain in a short time. My endocronologist believes I was probably always a bit hypo, but we never thought to check that ... Turns out in my family, too. My mom was hypo as well (diagnosed around the same age), and had a partial thyroidectomy about 3 years ago.

I take 100 mcg/day, and I'm told that my dose may need to be reduced as I shrink, but I'm pretty good about going and getting checked every few months.

Just be glad they caught it!

Ditto for me!

I take .88mg per day of synthroid. I was 34 when I first started having really bad symptons.

I feel great now, as long as I take my medication every day.:cry_smile:

I was diagnosed with low thyroid about 4 years ago. I didn't even realize anything was wrong with me. I just thought I worked too much. I would come home from work and go right to sleep, sleep all evening, get up for a little while, and go straight to bed and sleep the whole night. I was irritable, moody, and sometimes just plain mean. It's easy now to look back and see that - at the time I just thought people were out to make my life harder. The other symptoms - being cold all the time, dry skin, brittle fingernails and hair, these things I didn't even notice because I was so tired.

I am taking 137 mcg of Synthroid daily, and I feel great. I feel like fixing that problem breathed new life into me. I know that if I ever stopped taking it, my life would change drastically. However, fixing that problem did not fix my weight problem, as I had so hoped. That's why I'm here, with my band, losing now!

I was diagnosed with low thyroid two years ago. I had been tested several times since I was age 12 but the test results were always within the normal range.

I would caution that some people - per my doctor - do better with the brand name Synthroid than the generic. I was one of those people. Switching back to the brand really boosted my mood, metabolism, etc.

Good luck.

I have a great endocrinologist, who seems to be up to date on the latest with thyroid issues. (obviosuly listen to your own dr. not me! :bolt: ) But, I called right before my surgery, and they want me to get my bloodwork done every couple months during the time I am losing weight. He said that as I shrink my medication will have to be adjusted and that I may become a little hyperthyroid as the process goes along.

It's important when you are first diagnosed, too, to keep getting bloodwork until you find the level that is good for you. My suggestion is to find a good endo who will listen to you and work for you...initially I was letting my regular doc treat me and he was fine with leaving my levels elevated because they were "in the range" he thought was good.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 30 - right after having my first baby. Pregnancy can trigger it. So can surgery and changes in hormones, I imagine. That was 27 years ago and until 5 years ago when I had a hysterectomy my dosage was always the same. Since then we have been tweaking the dosage to find the right one. Even minor fluctuations in the thyroid hormone can have a huge impact on your body. See an endocrinologist. Don't take generic synthroid. And take it on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before eating. Good luck!

I would caution that some people - per my doctor - do better with the brand name Synthroid than the generic. I was one of those people. Switching back to the brand really boosted my mood, metabolism, etc.

I've heard this from other people, too. Personally I've been OK with levothyroxine, a generic form. Others have had real problems on meds other than Synthroid.