Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello friends, I want to introduce myself. I am Patty, 47 years old and a mother of 10. My husband and I had 6 boys and 1 girl, and we also raised 2 sisters and one other boy in foster care. I have been over weight since I was a teenager, after having children, I settled my weight at 225 lbs., and was comfortable with that, but since then have developed diabetes (4 years ago). I was on Actos medication which ballooned me up to 281 lbs.(5'7"), so the last 3 years, I have put on 56 lbs. My decision to have the lap band surgery did not come easy and without many prayers. But I finally had it done on 9/9. My surgeon was Dr. Yood at St. Raphael hospital in New Haven, CT. I had a decent experience with surgery. I had minimal pain. The first day of surgery, I slept alot and only needed xstrength tylenol for discomfort. Every day after that got better. The 3rd day I felt some pain in my left shoulder and it was difficult to get out of bed with the pull on my incisions, but I did alright. This is my 10th day since the surgery and I have lost 16.5 pounds. WOW! I can feel the difference in my energy level already. I used to have a hard time getting out of bed, and now I can sit right up no problem. When you take off so much weight in a short time you can notice the benifits better. I have been drinking liquids (water, crystal lite, Jello, ice pops, coffee) but also drinking cream Soups and Protein Drinks and drinkable yogurt. I go for my first checkup on Friday. I will see when I can start on puree foods at that time. Does anyone know how to find a lap band support group in your own town or area? Traveling to new haven once a month is too far for me. Thanks, and I'm so glad to be part of this forum.I would love to be friends with all of you.:thumbup:

Hey Patty!

Welcome to the group. I was banded on 9/4 so we are close together. You should ask the CT people on this website to help you find a group.

Great job on the 16.5lbs. It really does make a difference in how we feel.

Keep up the good work.

Huntley

Hello friends, I want to introduce myself. I am Patty, 47 years old and a mother of 10. My husband and I had 6 boys and 1 girl, and we also raised 2 sisters and one other boy in foster care. I have been over weight since I was a teenager, after having children, I settled my weight at 225 lbs., and was comfortable with that, but since then have developed diabetes (4 years ago). I was on Actos medication which ballooned me up to 281 lbs.(5'7"), so the last 3 years, I have put on 56 lbs. My decision to have the lap band surgery did not come easy and without many prayers. But I finally had it done on 9/9. My surgeon was Dr. Yood at St. Raphael hospital in New Haven, CT. I had a decent experience with surgery. I had minimal pain. The first day of surgery, I slept alot and only needed xstrength tylenol for discomfort. Every day after that got better. The 3rd day I felt some pain in my left shoulder and it was difficult to get out of bed with the pull on my incisions, but I did alright. This is my 10th day since the surgery and I have lost 16.5 pounds. WOW! I can feel the difference in my energy level already. I used to have a hard time getting out of bed, and now I can sit right up no problem. When you take off so much weight in a short time you can notice the benifits better. I have been drinking liquids (Water, crystal lite, Jello, ice pops, coffee) but also drinking cream Soups and Protein drinks and drinkable yogurt. I go for my first checkup on Friday. I will see when I can start on puree foods at that time. Does anyone know how to find a lap band support group in your own town or area? Traveling to new haven once a month is too far for me. Thanks, and I'm so glad to be part of this forum.I would love to be friends with all of you.:frown:

I first off wanted to tell you congrats! You were banded on my birthday! (it's a good day! lol) But I want to ask you a question concerning your kids. I am a mother of 5 girls and I am starting to get very short tempered with them. Their ages are 16, 11, 9, 5, & 4. How do you do it? I know lots of prayer, but more importantly how are your nerves? (lol). I am waiting on my surgery date and I am getting excited every day. Good luck and let me know if you need anythiing!

April :thumbup:

I come from a family of 8, it's great. I'm a single mother (widowed) of 2 (teenagers now) myself and I often ask my mom how the heck she did it, I pull my hair out with just two lol. Patience patience patience. I find that good communication is a must as well. Congrats to you for your 16.5 pounds lost. I am scheduled for surgery in November and cannot wait. I have researched and thought about this for over 5 years.

Well, I tell you what...I have learned patience but I need to get them back! I guess since I have all girls and they are all hormonal - that doesn't help! LOL...thank you for the advice!

I am getting excited ~ I want to start posting my weight loss!!

Hello April, First, let me say " HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! " When will you be banded, or do you know yet? As far as the kids go, they weren't all put on me at once, Ha Ha , but as another child came along, I adjusted, and prayed for God's guidance. Some advice: Pick your battles (especially with teenagers), don't make mountains out of molehills, live each day with your kids as if you won't have another one, discipline is love, say "I love you" every day to each of them, and lastly (even though I could go on forever) show respect and you will receive it. And oh yeah, pray alot. May God bless your family and your decision to have this surgery. Patty

Jaculin, You are right about having good communication with your kids and especially now while they are teenagers. God bless you and your decision after 5 years of thought to have the lap band. I'll be praying for your quick recovery.

Hi Patti, I just got banded on the 12th of Sept. by Dr. Valin at St. Rapheal's in New Haven. I live in Torrington so I have to make the trek to New Haven for the support groups too! I lost 10 lbs. so far and it's been 1 week. Yoo hoo! Just wanted to say "hi".

Hello April, First, let me say " HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! " When will you be banded, or do you know yet? As far as the kids go, they weren't all put on me at once, Ha Ha , but as another child came along, I adjusted, and prayed for God's guidance. Some advice: Pick your battles (especially with teenagers), don't make mountains out of molehills, live each day with your kids as if you won't have another one, discipline is love, say "I love you" every day to each of them, and lastly (even though I could go on forever) show respect and you will receive it. And oh yeah, pray alot. May God bless your family and your decision to have this surgery. Patty

Oh thank you Patty! That was really thoughtful! I haven't found out my surgery date yet, I emailed the office yesterday to see if they have received the October calender yet. I am getting excited! I know it will be in Oct. but I don't know the date. Thank you for the advice! It will for sure come in handy!! Good luck!! :thumbup:

Momma, Congratulations on your 10 pound lost. Does Dr. Valin work with Dr. Yood ? Will you be going to the first support group on Oct.2 at 6 pm? Maybe we can meet there. How has your first week been?

Hi -

Im going in for my banding on Wed 9/24 at Middlesex Hosp in CT. Id like to ask the post op lap banders if they are hungry. I was told that after the swelling decreases, that you will experience a lot of hunger. I really nervous about that - I dont want to go thru all this and screw it up by being hungry and eating too much. THANKS:confused:

Hi, It is true that after the swelling goes down, that you will experince hunger, but not alot. I am 11 days post op, and if i have a hunger pain, I drink my Protein shake(3-4 oz.) and it satisfies me. It is only for the first 2 weeks that I need to be on liquids only. and then I can have pureed food. (anything I can put in a blender and puree, I can eat) so you see, if you can get through the first 2 weeks of liquids only,you'll do fine. (and you WILL get through it, because you must only drink fluids) Don't worry, its not difficult.