Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"chugging" soup and drinks

I find that I can drink things really quickly now. Especially Soup broth. I just drank about 6 oz in about 15 minutes (a coffee mug.) I need to watch and measure and make sure I only take 4 from now on.

Am I damaging my pouch? I feel fine! I can't seem to do the same with other drinks, but I don't always remember to take small sips.

I never asked the doctor about restriction, but am guessing I have none. I am definitely losing weight and feel good... I just don't want to stretch it out and end up not losing well.

Thanks!!!

I'm having the same problem and I just was banded on Friday. I can't chug (well, I haven't tried) but I can drink full swallows and several at a time. I honestly don't think we're hurting anything. It never occurred to me to ask if we COULD drink more, because the way it was presented to me we would be unable to drink more. And I haven't had nausea or any issues of that type at all. I burped a little in the hospital after the first glass of ice Water they gave me (and they didn't tell me to sip it either) .... but since then I've felt fine. I've taken my meds fine..tyelnol fine...?? AND I'm hungry. I know the band is there and I'm not eating food or mushies but am not experiencing any issues.

I think we just don't swell as much as some might, so we don't have that early restriction. At least, I hope that's it. I go to my surgeon on Weds and will find out more then.

Hi Little Froggy and Restless Monkey. If you can swallow in gulps, chances are you aren't restricted. If you were it would just sit half way up your esophogas until it drained through the opening to the stomach. So don't worry about stretching your pouch out. Once you get some fills you'll see what I mean. Good luck to you both.

THANK YOU! It's just one more thing I don't have to worry about now. AND I'm trying to drink calmly to train myself anyway!!!

:thumbdown:

THANK YOU! It's just one more thing I don't have to worry about now. AND I'm trying to drink calmly to train myself anyway!!!

:wink2:

I was just looking at your weightloss. Way to go!:thumbdown:

Thanks! That comes from 5 and 1/2 weeks of the preop shrink your liver diet! :thumbdown: (It's been a long time since I've had food. No wonder I'm hungry)

I am having the same problem too I was banded Aug 21st and at 1st I could hardly drink a thing but now I can drink Soup and drinks with no real restriction. I guess since everyone is saying this is okay I am not worried any more but I was loseing weight like a lb a day and it has seriously stalled and remaind at the same 8 lbs since surgery any ideas on how to jump start my weight loss again?

Honestly I think if you'll read the FAQ section here etc...right now is a time for you to be healing. The band never promised fast WL...1-2 pounds a week is what we'll probably get. And right now it is more important that you heal and your body (and you) get used to the new status quo. Don't rush the weight loss. It will come in time! Some don't really start losing until they get fills. You have to leave that diet mentality behind...you'll lose fine once you're healed and so on.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't had any problems at all with getting anything down, although I have carefully been following guidelines, but I feel like I need more Water and would like to drink maybe 4-5 oz. at a time instead of just 1-2 oz. every 20 minutes. I guess I'll play it by ear.

I asked my surgeon and he said that the "sip" was a strategy to get enough liquid in for those who had difficulty drinking regularly. He said that I can drink as much as I like, as quickly as I can tolerate it. Because it is liquid, it flows right through the band once the swelling goes down. I was banded on Thursday and I never had so much swelling that I couldn't drink regularly. I do notice that if I drink quickly, like half a glass at one draw...I burp like a complete lush!

Hey LANAKILA ! Isn't it great finally having a band? I can drink (and burp) like a lush, too! Are you doing as well post op as it sounds like you are? I got my band Friday and it is wonderful. I can't feel it but I know it's there waiting to help me! :)

Hi guys! This is a great thread! :party: I was kinda worried that I was drinking too much too fast too... but this sure puts my mind at ease! I'm pretty sure I don't have restriction either because I can drink quite a bit at once (& belch like a lush too!:w00t:) but I'm down 15 since my pre-op diet 10 days prior to the Aug 20th surgery so, I'm totally happy with that.:thumbup: Mushies start on Sunday for me - can hardly wait for egg salad!:sad:

Thanks for the peace of mind on the sip vs the gulp!!!

Stace