Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hernia and band surgery at the same time?

I am looking into the band, but at the same time I have an abdominal hernia that I need to get handled.

It seems to me that getting both done at once would a) save money, and :thumbup: save going under general anesthesia twice.

Is that something that's possible? Or am I dreaming?

Audrey

when i went through all the pre op stuff they found a hernia..so during the operation they said they would do both...so im sure they would do u the same as they did me....

Audrey,

I had what we thought was an incarcerated abdominal hernia I had repaired at the same time as the lapband. Not to scare you...if your surgeon is honest he will tell you this... the recovery from the hernia is a LOT harder than the recovery from the lapband. (Lets just say you will not be up and about in 3 days, like with just lapband surgery... you will most likely have a bit more down time) This is what my surgeon told me pre surgery... and he was right.

I have had other issues due to the hernia repair, but after a little over 7 weeks my lapband is doing great!!!!

If you have any more questions.. feel free to PM me :thumbup:)

julie

I have a large ventral hernia. I had the lap band surgery. They wanted me to wait to have the hernia fixed. I am going to have the hernia repaired once I lose more weight. The doctors felt like they could fix my hernia and do a Tummy Tuck later. I think it depends on the size of the hernia.

During my surgery, my doctor found a hietal hernia and repaired it while he was in there. It must be something that is done often.

Banded on 1-21-08

Beginning wt: 337

Surgery wt: 297

Current wt: 240

I have an umbilical hernia. I was hoping I would be able to have the lapband and the hernia taken care of at the same time, but my surgeon said I would have to weight to get the hernia repaired after I lost some weight. I've had the hernia repaired twice already and the surgeon said the reason it came back was because of my weight. So I guess I'll have to wait.

Thank you everyone for your promp and helpful replies! My insurance covers the hernia, but not the band, so I figured the more I could get done at once, the better...

Thanks!

Audrey

I actually got the medical center I was having my surgery done at to knock a bit off the lapband price. ($1500) since they were making so much on my insured herna repair. I figure every little bit helps. You might want to check into that.

I actually got the medical center I was having my surgery done at to knock a bit off the lapband price. ($1500) since they were making so much on my insured herna repair. I figure every little bit helps. You might want to check into that.

Oh, good to know! thanks!

Audrey