Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking for a band buddy with similar situation. I am 32 yrs old, I have 2 small children (girl 3yrs, boy 3months). I live in Plano, TX and I am not telling my friends about my surgery. I got banded yesterday 8-15-08. I am starting at 188 lbs and 31.9 BMI. Is there anyone out there to buddy with? I got the band to help with my self esteem, self image, set a good example for my children, avoid health problems in the future, and I had back surgery 5 yrs ago, the extra weight is hard.

Let me hear from you-

so far the first 2 days are pretty tough.

Hi! I'm a bit behind you in the process, but in a similar situation. I am also 32, with an 11 month old daughter. I am only telling a few close family members and one friend (the only one who can keep a secret...LOL). So it's been a little rough so far? Do you have help with the children? I'm a little worried about caring for my daughter as she cannot walk or crawl yet on her own, but thankfully my hubby will take off work the first few days so I can veg out. Hope you're feeling better soon!

My baby is 14 pounds and YES I have help right now. I had surgery on Friday and I will not pick him up until tomorrow. I switched his carseat to a britax (big one). I won't be able to carry him and the infant carseat together anymore. My doc said that I should not lift anymore that 15 pounds for 4-6 weeks but that is not going to happen. I am nursing my baby too, so right now my hubby or nanny or mom is bringing him to me, burping him for me. You will need help for at least 3-4 days after. I am not sure how much your little one weighs. I also self paid. Do you have anymore children, do you want anymore? Were you thin as a child/teen? How much did you gain with pregnacy? I gained 60 wtih 1st, and 50 with secind.

I'm so glad you have help with your kids. My baby is 19 lbs., but my doctor said up to 20lbs. was OK as long as I am careful. I hadn't even thought about carrying her in her car seat carrier. I guess I will have to leave it in the car and carry her back and forth.

I was a littled overweight through school (5'8 and usually between 160-170 and a size 12). It was enough to make me self-conscious about wearing certain clothes like tank tops, but not enough to get me teased or anything. I started gaining a little after I got married when I was 21, and it really started to pile on when I started fertility treatments when I was 29. I was really depressed and I went from 185 to 220 in just a few years. I did IVF a few times, and the last time resulted in my daughter. I started at 220 and weighed 228 when she was born. I was 208 a week later. Then I just went crazy about food. I had been so careful about eating when I was pregnant, and I guess I just rebelled and gained 40 lbs. in the year since she was born :blush:. I finally decided I was on a bad path and I'd need to do something more permanent and radical if I wanted to get healthy. I am just ready to stop focusing so much on food and I want to learn to be less obsessive about it. My surgery is Aug. 26th. I am starting 7 days of a Medifast diet on Tuesday.

Where did you have your surgery? Are you feeling any better yet? Were you thin before or was it the baby weight that added up? How much do you want to lose? I see your BMI is pretty good already, so it is exciting that you don't have too far to go.

If anyone else reads this and wants to jump in, please do!

Hello, my name is Karen. I live in Massachusetts, I was going through a few postings and I read yours it caught my eye because I also was banded on Aug 15th but in 2007 so I just had my I year bandiversary!!

So far I've lost 100lbs. I started a lot heavier than you but Let me say its the best thing I ever did for myself. I also have 2 kids, 12 and 9. I'm 32 yrs old and I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and borderline diabetic. All of those are gone now!!! first few months might be tough as you get used to how to eat again but it does get better. Any time you might have a question just give me a holla

Yes, Karen, you are a great role model! 100 lbs.---think of how much happier your knees must be. My realistic goal is 165, but I would really love to lose a full 100 and be 150. I never been that thin. It's nice to know that others before me have done it.

Do you have a specific goal, Peaches? How tall are you? Do you have any of your pre-baby clothes around to wear when you lose weight? I still have some of my clothes from the 200lb. mark around, so hopefully I won't have to shop for a while, as I will have no extra money after this!

Mimilou-Have you had surgery yet?

I start my diet tomorrow. This is all rapidly becoming a reality. Yikes!

Maribelle, I just got the call booking my surgery Oct 7th. I am disappointed it is so far away in the future, but like other members say, I can use the time to practice small bites and chewing chewing chewing!!!!

I can use the time to practice small bites and chewing chewing chewing!!!!

If you do that, you'll do a lot better than I did. I spent it eating everything under the sun...with big bites...and barely any chewing. LOL. But it will be here sooner than you expect. It is great you have it set in stone, now.